DIR Diver...........

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stingray1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
This may sound corny but, how does one become a DIR diver? I'm new to posting here on the board so my question is sincere.

The same way you get to Carnegie Hall... practice :)

To start off, pick up a copy of JJ's book, the Fundamentals of Better Diving, and if you can swing another $60, the new DIR2004 DVD set is VERY good. Both together will get you squared away on equipment configuration, and give you a good idea of what DIR is all about.

Now comes the hard part. Equipment configuration is easy.
Diving skills and physical conditioning are not impossible, but can't be bought.
This is where you HAVE to get into a class. Start with DIR-F as soon as you are comfortable in the water. Don't expect to pass the first time unless you are very good.

You will learn new kicking methods, optimized buoyancy control, buddy team skills, communication skills, and most importantly, attitude... a lot of things that should have been taught in OW but weren't.

Go to http://www.gue.com for starters. A lot of the information in the book is available on the web site.

RichLockyer:
The same way you get to Carnegie Hall... practice :)

To start off, pick up a copy of JJ's book, the Fundamentals of Better Diving, and if you can swing another $60, the new DIR2004 DVD set is VERY good. Both together will get you squared away on equipment configuration, and give you a good idea of what DIR is all about.

Now comes the hard part. Equipment configuration is easy.
Diving skills and physical conditioning are not impossible, but can't be bought.
This is where you HAVE to get into a class. Start with DIR-F as soon as you are comfortable in the water. Don't expect to pass the first time unless you are very good.

You will learn new kicking methods, optimized buoyancy control, buddy team skills, communication skills, and most importantly, attitude... a lot of things that should have been taught in OW but weren't.

Go to http://www.gue.com for starters. A lot of the information in the book is available on the web site.

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out. Next question I've never heard of a DIR-F class before. Where does one sign up for a class?

Follow the link Rich give you, on the GUE site there is a list of instructors, you should be able to find one in your area, but you may have to be prepared to travel!

And please listen to the advice Rich has given you, its very good :wink:

Mr Mares:
Follow the link Rich give you, on the GUE site there is a list of instructors, you should be able to find one in your area, but you may have to be prepared to travel!

Or the instructor may travel to you, as was the case with my DIRF.

stingray1:
Thanks for the info. I'll check it out. Next question I've never heard of a DIR-F class before. Where does one sign up for a class?
Hi Stingray,
There's a DIR-F at Gilboa Quarry, Ohio on the 6,7, & 8 of August.
My partner and I hold a Fundamentals classes twice a year locally in the Midwest (at Gilboa). This will be the last one this year (unless there is enough interest to warrant a another one in September/october time-frame). We have also taught classes w/MHK and Andrew G. in Haigh Quarry and up in Milwaukee through Deep Blue Scuba. That's about it for the classes in the Midwest as far as I know.
As of this point in time we (Scot Wernette and I) are the only instructors from GUE here in the Midwest and we are always happy to help answer questions you may have about GUE and it's curricullum. I can be reached via the GUE website, instructor database....Brandon Schwartz (my GUE e-mail address hasn't been working lately due to computer issue, but my phone is always on and you can call anytime.)
dive safe!---brandon

Mr Mares:

And please listen to the advice Rich has given you, its very good :wink:

Thank you I will listen. I just want to be the best diver that I can be.

Those guys have good advice about taking the course. But even if you do not have access to a course right away see if you can hook up with some DIR divers in your area who HAVE done atleast the fundamentals. They will be a huge help with getting your gear sorted out and will show you what to practice for when you do take fundamentals.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom