Ambulance and Fire Truck at Pebble Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fuzzybabybunny

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm here now. A fire truck and ambulance pulled into the cove and brought out a non-responsive diver in a dry suit. Older gray haired gentleman.

No details. The police were questioning other divers sitting on a bench so they may have been his dive buddies.

Now I see that a second person is being taken away on a stretcher. She is sitting up and talking to people and looks to be OK though. Looks to be in 40s. Also a diver.

Update a few posts down.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
We surfaced at breakwater to sirens and the coast guard clipper hauling to what I assumed was the Carmel side. The paramedics waiting on the dock said it was a buddy team off a dive boat in possibly Stillwater cove. What we heard from the paramedic was that the male was unconscious but breathing and the female was conscious but was either coughing or vomiting up blood. We left before the coast guard ship came back with anybody, so this might not be super accurate but best of luck to anybody involved.

According to news reports, one diver died:

http://www.ksbw.com/news/central-ca...8820/21748330/-/item/1/-/ybk4cfz/-/index.html

PEBBLE BEACH, Calif. —
U.S. Coast Guard and Monterey Fire Department water rescue crews descended on Stillwater Cove in Pebble Beach Monday and pulled two divers out of the ocean.

One diver died and his name was not released.
The divers had jumped from the same boat to reach a challenging, seldom-visited dive spot called Horseshoe Reef, about a mile south off Pescadero Point.

To reach Horseshoe, divers must swim 90 feet down. The victims were not diving together and separately ran into trouble while trying to get back up to the surface just after 11 a.m., Monterey Fire Captain Justin Cooper told KSBW.
Rescue boats rushed the man and woman from Horseshoe Reef to shore in Stillwater Cove. One victim's heart was not beating despite CPR efforts by paramedics, Cooper said.
The Pacific Grove Fire Department prepared its hyperbaric chamber, however, it was not used because one victim's heart had already stopped, and the other victim recovered quickly.

Pacific Grove's hyperbaric chamber is the only one of its kind on the Central Coast. It was shutdown for a year in 2012 because of liability insurance problems, but a campaign by divers, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, and the Monterey Bay Sanctuary Foundation helped get the chamber back up and running on Aug. 3. 2013.
Local diver Bruce Watkins wrote about Horseshoe Reef on cadivingnews.com.
"Horseshoe is best described as one of the outer outer pinnacles and is a newly discovered spot," Watkins wrote.
"Surrounding the horseshoe is a number of narrow, steep-sided canyons and spires. Horseshoe has one of the more rugged bottom topographies of any dive site. In some areas long, steep-sided canyons wind through the rocky mass. In other spots spires jut up dramatically some 40 feet or more from the 90-foot bottom. The upper portions of the rock are adorned with the most colorful cornucopia of sessile invertebrates that I have seen in many years. The hydrocoral here is particularly impressive. Some stands are big, stout and ancient. Others are tiny, and very delicate. All are pristine," Watkins wrote.

Read more: http://www.ksbw.com/news/central-ca...21748330/-/t5wnmpz/-/index.html#ixzz2dlmDhnRt

Last edited:
How sad. My thoughts are with the victims and their families, and anyone else involved. Please dive safely everyone!

I was also in the stillwater area when this occured. The rescue boat flew right past us code 3 and I could see the responders performing CPR. Very sad news. I hope that the other diver can recover

I was also in the stillwater area when this occured. The rescue boat flew right past us code 3 and I could see the responders performing CPR. Very sad news. I hope that the other diver can recover

The other diver should be perfectly fine. When I saw her in the stretcher she was perfectly lucid and sitting upright and expressive and even smiling and joking with the EMTs I think. In fact, my first reaction was "why is she on a stretcher?"

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...while-scuba-diving-off-monterey-county-coast/
MONTEREY (CBS SF) — A Santa Cruz man died Monday after losing consciousness while scuba diving off the coast of Monterey County, a Monterey County sheriff’s sergeant said Wednesday.
A dive charter boat service at Stillwater Cove contacted the sheriff’s office at 11:15 a.m. Monday to report an unconscious diver, later identified as 66-year-old David Michael Jones, sheriff’s Detective Sgt. Archie Warren said.
Jones was in the ocean about 40 feet from the boat and had indicated to another diver that he was fine, when he suddenly went limp, Warren said.
He was pulled into the charter boat, where personnel began performing CPR on him, Warren said. A Monterey Fire Department boat arrived and transferred Jones to Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula.
CPR was performed on Jones for about an hour, but he was pronounced dead at the hospital, Warren said.
An autopsy by the coroner’s office will help determine the cause of his death, Warren said.

Deceased diver identified. He was 66. (Please don't say that).

Santa Cruz man identified in scuba diving death in Pebble Beach - Santa Cruz Sentinel

Santa Cruz man identified in scuba diving death in Pebble Beach

By Stephen Baxter

Santa Cruz Sentinel
POSTED: 09/04/2013 11:09:22 AM PDT

PEBBLE BEACH -- Authorities have identified 66-year-old David Michael Jones of Santa Cruz as the man who died Monday while scuba diving off Stillwater Cove in Pebble Beach.
Jones' cause of death has yet to be determined because an autopsy is not complete, Monterey County Detective Sgt. Archie Warren said Wednesday.
"We're looking at everything including his medical history," Warren said.
Jones was diving from a recreational dive boat called the Beachhopper 2 with nine other divers shortly after 11 a.m. Monday. The weather was sunny and the ocean was calm, Warren said.
The scuba divers submerged in pairs or by themselves in a staggered start, according to the boat operator.
Shortly after the dive started, a female diver had some trouble on the surface, authorities said. She was taken into the boat, and the boat's operator called the U.S. Coast Guard.
About the same time, Jones was on the surface and waved to people on the boat that he was OK. Jones then fell unconscious, and he too was taken into the boat.
CPR was started on Jones in the boat. A Monterey Fire boat arrived and took Jones to shore. A Coast Guard boat also responded.
Jones was taken by ambulance to Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula where he was pronounced dead, Warren said.
Authorities said Jones had no visible injuries.
Although many people scuba dive safely in the area, there can be natural hazards in the ocean and problems with equipment, deputies said.
"Don't take going diving lightly, it can be dangerous," Warren said.
The death follows the deaths of two Santa Clara County residents who died while scuba diving on Feb. 22 off Point Lobos State Reserve, south of Pebble Beach.
Volodymyr and Marina Butsky, 40 and 41, were Ukrainian immigrants who lived in the foothills of East San Jose. They were found unconscious in the water and later pronounced dead.

Back
Top Bottom