Ohio Scuba Diver Dies After Gilboa Accident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For what it's worth, a third-hand tale--my friend S has a friend who worked for the deceased guy, Mr. Wilson. the story S heard was that Wilson was a much-liked boss who retired two weeks before his death. The story S heard [she is a retired nurse] was that Mr Wilson died of a massive heart attack.
Are you on the right thread. His name was Robert A. Fisher, not Wilson.

And this report suggests diver error. It does seem amazing that a diver could drown in 25 feet, but mistakes and panic both happen...
Death Of Scuba Diver Ruled Accidental

The death of a diver in the Gilboa Quarry has been ruled accidental.

An investigation following the June 11th incident has revealed 64-year-old Robert Fisher of Cincinnati ran out of air while he was 25 feet below water.

Putnam County Sheriff James Beutler says lack of experience appears to have contributed to Fisher's death.

A check of his equipment showed it was in proper operating condition.

you are correct on the name, DandyDon, I had a momentary brain freeze. I was referring to the gentleman who died at Gilboa on the weekend of
June 11.

I'm a bit confused. I thought he had just gotten into the water, and immediately sank very quickly. How did he run out of air at the begining of the dive?

I'm a bit confused. I thought he had just gotten into the water, and immediately sank very quickly. How did he run out of air at the begining of the dive?

One possibility is that he stepped in with negative buoyancy and his tank valve off. This would lead to drowning with an SPG that shows zero. when he tried to inflate the bc and breath he would have used up the pressure in the LP hoses and first stage.

But this is speculation as to how it could have happened. We do not have and usually do not get the conclusions of these investigations.

He also could have went in with a "used" tank. that had little air left.
Who jumps in the water without checking their spg gage and taking a regulator hit top side? But I'm sure there are always accidents.
they said his tank was empty, if it wasn't turned on I bet that news would have gotten around quickly.

---------- Post added October 14th, 2013 at 10:59 PM ----------

Last edited:
"Move all the AOW dives to the tubes and you can keep it..."

Can't just use the tubes for the AOW dives, I take my OW students to the tubes to get them their 60 feet. I need to get my AOW students at least 80'. But then, my AOW students also get 15 to 20 dives to get AOW, not just 5 or 6 (4 weekends of diving, each weekend at a different location, for different purposes.). They also do not go to 80 feet on their first AOW dive, they have to do a couple weekends of diving first.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom