Lake Jocassee fatality - South Carolina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
A 50-year-old man from Florida died after an “incident” on a popular South Carolina lake, officials said. The man had been diving at a lake when he “became unresponsive.” He was taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead Saturday, Aug. 12, according to the Pickens County Coroner’s Office. Officials said it happened on Lake Jocassee, a body of water that’s popular for fishing and viewing waterfalls. It happened at The Wall, a rock feature along the lakeshore about 40 miles northwest of Greenville. The man was identified in a news release as Anthony Reno, who lived in the Jacksonville-area community of Fleming Island. Officials didn’t share Reno’s cause of death in their news release but said an autopsy will be scheduled. In addition to the coroner’s office, the Pickens County Sheriff’s Office and the S.C. Department of Natural Resources reportedly are investigating the incident.

It's pretty notable that they didn't use the term "drowned" in this article. Kudos to the author for not being speculative (A lot of other articles weren't speculative either). The part that's even more odd about this tragedy is the location. If it happened at the Wall, then he died in shallow water. The articles didn't mention if he even died underwater anyway. The way it says "became unresponsive" is telling me, the reader, that someone witnessed him go unconscious. I know this was back in August, but there haven't been any updates to this story to my knowledge. I know it's up to the family to release the cause of death, but I feel that the cause should be revealed to the Scuba community. Tragedies like this offer a lesson and a reminder to everyone of the risks of the sport. There is always time for a safety brief.

i-Boating : Free Marine Navigation Charts & Fishing Maps
1703258762387.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom