Location of Weights on Weight Belt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Michael Guerrero

Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone ever experimented with where they put their weights on their belt? As an example, do you put even weight on each side of the hips, or do you bunch it all in the center of the back? What were the results for stability? Anyone ride it on the belly?

I put the heaviest weights all the way in the front (I use soft weights). It feels more stable to me. I had them in the back once, and it felt like I was struggling to stay horizontal and not roll over.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I wear my weight in two locations, trims on my tank strap, and a compartmented belt. When I am putting weight in the belt, I put it as close to the buckle as I can.

Pretty much never put any significant weight behind my back. Gets under the backpack and is uncomfortable. For a light to moderate belt, I like several small weights 1-2 or 3 lb weights. For belts 16 on up, I personally like hip weights. I try to keep some lead forward of the hips, so it acts as a ballast and keeps you face down (in a more stable position).

I have a weight belt that keeps most of the weight in the front. With an HP130 or doubles on my back it makes my kit more stable.

I prefer to have the weights on each hip so they are evenly balanced and there is nothing under the tank.

I may have experimented way back when, now I wear my weight forward on my belt. Except for free diving, I don't put more than 10 or 12 pounds on the belt. Any more weight needed, I put on my rig for trim as a higher belt weight will pull my feet down.

Bob
----------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

I like my weight distributed so there is a very slight bias towards the buckle. The idea is I should be able to rotate sideways when horizontal with minimal effort and slowly return to belly down with no effort. If you have all the weight next to the buckle, your like a boat with a heavy keel, stable but not easy to turn. If the weight is to far to the back, you are inherently unstable and hits hard to hover. Same issue top to bottom, its needs to be close to your center of gravity in both axis so you are not fighting it.

As an example, do you put even weight on each side of the hips, or do you bunch it all in the center of the back? What were the results for stability?

Michael,

Most critically, any weights between your tank and your back can impede your dropping your weightbelt (e.g., in an emergency). I was taught to never place weights between my tank and my back.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

Back
Top Bottom