Diver injured by propeller in Lake Worth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why I always carry a flare gun - hey MF look this way - honest officer I was just trying to get their attention, I thought I led them far enough. Totally, absolutely serious. Respect my flag or it's your a$$
So, if the surge forced you under the boat you are diving off of, you will shoot the boat

My teenage daughter has been trying to come up with a good reason for us to get her a flare gun, this may qualify as a good reason, in her mind at least. :confused:

So, if the surge forced you under the boat you are diving off of, you will shoot the boat

Since I dive almost exclusively from shore and occasionally from boats at anchor or moored I'll never experience your scenario. However, no boat should have the prop engaged while divers are entering or exiting the water. No Boat! If conditions are too rough to idle the motor, stopping the prop, they are too rough to dive.

That said, some d1ckw33d buzzes me or my flag, I will retalliate as appropriate - one across the bow and if that doesn't get them to desist the next one will be an attempt to take them out. I carry 4 flares. I've had morons on a jetksi think it was funny to try to swamp my canoe by circling it at high speed while I was struggling in a high wind with whitecaps. There are plenty of normal people out there. We shouldn't suffer the ones Darwin should have eliminated.

We did several hot drops in the north, St Lawrence seaway, was a normal thing there.

I assume this is the boat in question. Little Deeper. They just posted this on their facebook. I was not there and know nothing more then what is posted.

So, sounds like the prop wasn't spinning? I can see where leaning or bouncing against a prop could be problematic. Have a nice scar on my shin from my own boat's prop - and the boat was on a "stand" for cleaning. :D

either way...any diver injury is sad news..

From the other post I read, that was posted by the rescuer, was that the high pressure hose caught on the prop and was pulling/boucying the diver around until his HP hose broke.

I'm not a boat Captain or anything...................I'm just trying to figure out how this happened.................wouldn't you normally have the boat facing into the current/waves?

Since I dive almost exclusively from shore and occasionally from boats at anchor or moored I'll never experience your scenario. However, no boat should have the prop engaged while divers are entering or exiting the water. No Boat! If conditions are too rough to idle the motor, stopping the prop, they are too rough to dive.

I didn't see anything that suggested the prop was engaged, but perhaps I missed it.

That said, some d1ckw33d buzzes me or my flag, I will retalliate as appropriate - one across the bow and if that doesn't get them to desist the next one will be an attempt to take them out. I carry 4 flares. I've had morons on a jetksi think it was funny to try to swamp my canoe by circling it at high speed while I was struggling in a high wind with whitecaps. There are plenty of normal people out there. We shouldn't suffer the ones Darwin should have eliminated.

You would be better off with a go pro, and getting shots of them buzzing your dive flag, their faces and their vessel identification number. Taking someone out with a flare gun will most likely land you in jail regardless of how close they come to your dive flag.

I'm not a boat Captain or anything...................I'm just trying to figure out how this happened.................wouldn't you normally have the boat facing into the current/waves?

That is exactly how it could occur. if the boat is drifting and facing into the wind, the diver goes off the stern, the boat can easily be moving backwards... It would be safer if the boat was pointed down wind.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom