Article: Dive Computers and the Magic Bracelet Syndrome

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A great reminder that computers are calculators really, and a tool, not some sort of artificial intelligence. They can make you a better diver in some ways, downloading and reviewing profiles for one helped me stop sawtoothing (well OK reduce). Like any tool, all about how its used.

An excellent treatment on this topic. I have been teaching the same basic information to all of my students and I have heard similar thoughts presented by hyperbaric physicians but never done so eloquently. I plan to use some of your quotes and attribute them to you in future classes. I dive with another Wonder Woman (my wife) who has the power to make students moire comfortable and safer, better divers - she is a pleasure to dive with and to teach with. We do not use computers for dive planning, sticking to USN or modified USN tables, nitrox when appropriate, and safe diving practices and our agency (SEI Diving) still believes in teaching and using dive tables (modified USN). Thanks Dr. Toups!

I am not a scuba instructor or even a dive master, however I have been diving for quite a few years and I am concerned about what seems to be a general ignorance regarding dive computers and how to use them (that is; what does the information being displayed on the computer actually mean?).

I regularly go with groups from our local dive club on overseas trips where we do a week or so of repetitive diving. These dives are usually fairly leisurely in respect to depth and profile, but what catches some people out is that there is a steady nitrogen build-up as the trip progresses. This is particularly so with folks who are doing 3 dives during the day then a night dive as well to "get their money's worth" on the trip!

The kicker is that some divers rarely look at their computers during a dive, yes true! So as they blithely continue on the sort of dive that they do on a weekend and they are unaware that their NDL is getting shorter each day. Then on a particular dive, NDL is reached, but they continue on as the same folk tend to rely on others to set the pace and reason as long as they keep in the middle of the group everything is OK and anyway the dive profile is the same as others they have done back home. Add a bit of current and air consumption is increasing as well. They are now unknowingly in deco territory and most likely without enough gas to do a deco stop anyway

Then it's time for the group to ascend and that's when they look at their computer which is now displaying an unfamiliar deco stop display. They have no idea what to do, but follow everyone else. After a safety stop they surface and are dismayed when the computer goes into error mode due to a missed deco stop!

The solution for some is to use another computer for subsequent dives because obviously theirs is faulty! and they don't want to miss any dives on the holiday.

I have witnessed this scenario a number of times, however fortunately, so far, there haven't been any cases of DCI (that I am aware of).

Great article!!! (Thanks to Mike Emmerman for pointing it out to me)
I have worked for many years to get the message across that dive computers are only tools with limitations and they they definitely do not know what is going on with respect to inert gas uptake and elimination in your body.
I will be linking your post to the Chamber's Facebook page.
Thank you.

In response to Skittl1321's post about the differences between dive computer algorithms:
I recently dove where the rental equipment included computers. The briefing, the computers were only mentioned as a means of keeping track of your 3 minute safety stop.

I had my own computer, which ran a much more conservative algorithm than the rental computer so it was interesting to compare. I got down to 7 minutes at one point, and the other computer was giving me like 20...
We perform evaluations of dive computers against dive profiles with known human subject results and have found similar and sometimes more extreme differences in their calculations. A poster presentations of some of our results can be found at: http://dornsife.usc.edu/assets/sites/222/docs/computer-tests.pdf

Karl E. Huggins, Director
USC Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber
dornsife.usc.edu/hyperbaric

superb article

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom