Help needed with Philippines fish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vondo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've got about 15 fish I cannot seem to ID from a trip to Moalboal and Dauin. It seems like a lot, but I was at least 95% successful. :wink: Thanks for any help you can give!

Photos-51a1d6cc.jpg
Obviously a goatfish but I can't find a match for the markings.

Photos-51a5a01a.jpg
Shrimpgoby of some sort

Photos-51a6c598.jpg
Another shrimpgoby

Photos-51a6d029.jpg
I would guess a tilefish, but I cannot find it

Photos-51a06dc2.jpg
I can't find the right combination of such a long snout with a squared off tail

Photos-51a6f2e6.jpg
Lizardfish of some sort?

Photos-51a6f195.jpg
Spotted Sand Diver. [-]I believe a sand diver, but I can't definitively match up the two different fish I saw with the two species described in the ReefID books.[/-]

Photos-51a7ff25.jpg
[-]Should be easy, but I couldn't positively do this one either.[/-] Longface Emperor

Last edited:
Photos-51a57bd2.jpg
A blennie of some sort?

Photos-51a59e83.jpg
Another stocky shrimp goby

Photos-51a72c35.jpg
I would have guessed hawkfish, but cannot find it

Photos-51a958e6.jpg
Waspfish? But which one?

Photos-51a5779d.jpg
Checkered snapper [-]Would have thought a sweetlips but cannot find it.[/-]

Photos-51a5794c.jpg
Just can't find him.

Photos-519f1ace.jpg
or him.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
First list:
1 Probably Dash-&-dot Goatfish - Parupeneus barberinus but may be P. macronemua, Longbarbel Goatfish. Colour very variable and many goatfish assume weird, bright colours when wanting cleaning
2 Possibly Ambanoro Prawn Goby - Vanderhorstia ambanoro. Really need a side view.

Second list
1 It is a goby as it has two dorsal fins. Looks like it may be the Gorgeous Prawn Goby, Amblyeleotris wheeleri. A bit over-exposed but if you tone it down, you will see this i.d. is possible.
2 Suggest Mahidolia mystacina - Flagfin Prawn Goby. Never seen one
3 This is a wrasse - maybe Oxycheilinus arenatus or o_Orientalis. Very variable depending on sex, life stage, food, surroundings etc and difficult to tell apart
4 Yes Waspfish but you will need a clearer pic to work out which.
5 Yes Checkered Snapper
6 ? maybe a wrasse of some sort
7 Dartfish. Possibly a Blackfin but it is very pale, Ptereleotris evides

Suggest you search around these suggestions to satisfy yourself. Have you looked at Fishbase? Good luck

First list:
1 Probably Dash-&-dot Goatfish - Parupeneus barberinus but may be P. macronemua, Longbarbel Goatfish. Colour very variable and many goatfish assume weird, bright colours when wanting cleaning
2 Possibly Ambanoro Prawn Goby - Vanderhorstia ambanoro. Really need a side view.

Second list
1 It is a goby as it has two dorsal fins. Looks like it may be the Gorgeous Prawn Goby, Amblyeleotris wheeleri. A bit over-exposed but if you tone it down, you will see this i.d. is possible.
2 Suggest Mahidolia mystacina - Flagfin Prawn Goby. Never seen one
3 This is a wrasse - maybe Oxycheilinus arenatus or o_Orientalis. Very variable depending on sex, life stage, food, surroundings etc and difficult to tell apart
4 Yes Waspfish but you will need a clearer pic to work out which.
5 Yes Checkered Snapper
6 ? maybe a wrasse of some sort
7 Dartfish. Possibly a Blackfin but it is very pale, Ptereleotris evides

Suggest you search around these suggestions to satisfy yourself. Have you looked at Fishbase? Good luck

Thanks a lot. I'm fully satisfied with most of suggestions. I guess I can't edit the original post anymore. :( I've tried to use Fishbase before. I find it's good for confirming things but not so great for browsing. Maybe I need to look again or I'm using it wrong.

Hi Vondo
I agree, Fishbase is not good for browsing but have you found the "Related Species" link? Once you have looked up a particular fish and it doesn't seem quite right, click this link on the main page (near the top right) and you get a photographic list of all related species. I find it helps a lot. Apols. if you know all this.

First List, number 6 is not a Lizardfish, wrong shape nose etc, looks more like a stargazer

The tricky ones: the hawkfish is the juvenile wrasse Cheilinus/Oxycheilinus; the lizardfish is a weeverfish; the "just can't find him" is the wrasse Cirrhilabrus.

Back
Top Bottom