Puerto Morelos or Puerto Aventuras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smartcar8

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Planning a trip to do some diving in April. Mexico is on our short list at the moment - although we are also looking at Roatan/Bonaire/others. Mexico is great for us as it is a less expensive option due to good package deals etc.

I am a novice (certified) diver and my wife will be doing her Open Water course. Was wondering if there is a big difference between Puerto Morelos and Puerto Aventuras and if one would be a better choice for a week of diving.

Any info much appreciated!

Puerto Morelos is north of Playa Del Carmen and there isn't really a whole lot close by. Puerto Adventuras is south of PDC. You are close to the cenotes and Akumal to snorkel with the turtles. You are close to the ruins of Tulum and Coba. You are also close to attractions like Hidden Worlds, Xel Ha, Xplor and others if stuff like this interest you. You can get to PDC from either one.

I always dive with Nicolas from http://www.cenotexperience.com.mx/ Nico and his brother are great guys and excellent dive guides. They get great reviews here on scubaboard and on Trip advisor.http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attractio...ience-Playa_del_Carmen_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

Last edited:
We've only been to Puerto Aventuras, but after we visited and dove the first time (almost eight years ago), we make it an annual (if not bi-annual) destination.

The thing we love is the easy diving through the very healthy reefs. We dive with Dive Aventuras, and have seen them work with the total range of diving, from novices like yourself to "seasoned" divers with lots of experience. And, Dive Aventuras can offer you both ocean and cenote dives to match your abilities.

Not sure what your choice in accomodations will be. The first time we visited, we stayed in the Catalonia, a very nice all-inclusive. Since that time, however, we have chosen to rent a condo, close to the Marina. We love to cook, and with the new Chedraui grocery store just outside the front gate of the Aventuras compound, it is very convenient to pick up what you need. There are also several good places to eat around the marina, as well.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions that I can help you with.

if you novice i can recommend you puerto morelos very good shallow dives full of life, very pretty town not to xpensive ..if you stay in hotel i can say marina el cid,with new operation of diving tour our in town aquanauts dive adventures!!!!!

Better diving as well as better other activities in Puerto Aventuras. Puerto Morelos does have a more interesting wreck to dive. A mine sweeper that was identical to the ones in Cozumel and Cancun.

I have worked as a dive instructor in both Puerto Aventuras and Puerto Morelos and I can tell you that PA doesn't even compare! PM diving is in the Marine Park. Healthy reef and 100% more life than PA! They are allowed to fish in PA and you can totally see the difference! If you are looking for nightlife etc, then PM is maybe is not for you. It is a small, charming Mexican town. However if you are looking for good diving, then definitely PM!

Just sayin' :wink:

try Top Rated Snorkeling and Diving in Puerto Morelos - Wet Set

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom