how can you tell if two tanks can be doubled?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefvagabond

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Not all tanks are created equal, not even those from the same manufacturer, so how can you tell which tanks can be doubled and which ones cannot?

I'd like to be able to double up some 100s, but they were not bought at the same time.

Are they the same length?

Are they same diameter?

Are they the same neck thread?

Are they the same working pressure?

If the answer to these is yes then there is no reason why they can't be doubled.

Lay them side by side to compare the length. I once took a pair of Worthington LP85s to a shop to be be set up as doubles and there turned out to be about 3/4" difference in height between them. Luckily, I had another which I could swap in to make a set.

If they do not have the same born date then the only way to tell if they can be doubled up is by putting them both in the water with the same pressure in them. While length, width, etc, etc, etc, are all important, there are things that cannot be seen that can affect the trim and buoyancy of a cylinder. I had a student who bought two tanks, same manufacturer, different born dates and they were very different tanks. When in the water one had a floaty bottom and the other did not. That completely threw his trim off in the water.

Same height, weight, diameter, thread, capacity, psi, LP-vs-HP....In essence they need to be identical........As Dive-Aholic said, 'born-on' date is a good starting point.....

If they are the same sizes they can be doubled. Set them up as independent twins. instead of three vales to screw with, you have two. I can't reach the middle manifold valve so I dive indies. It works for me and it has the same result.

Like the others said, born on dates are a good starting point. Aside from that, it's good to check the height as well. I recently took a closer look at one set of my doubles and noticed that they were a little lopsided. Turns out one tank is about a quarter inch longer than the other. Whoops!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

indy twins for me.

its simple and flexible.

as long as you rent 2 similar cylinders you can have a twin set anywhere in the world.

hmmmm

indy twins for me.

its simple and flexible.

as long as you rent 2 similar cylinders you can have a twin set anywhere in the world.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom