Have You Seen A Tox Hit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Only once. Thankfully it was in a chamber. I can't imagine how someone would survive one in the water. They just come on so fast, with no warning.

I've seen a lot of people seize on land. I have no desire at all to see it in the water. It's one of the few things that still really rattles me as a ER doc.

I've seen the after effects. You don't want to tox in the water. Trust me

Pardon my ignorance guys, but under what circumstances did you see it in a chamber or on land? Was this post-dive, where the diver had exceeded their max PPO2 or something else entirely (perhaps not even dive-related)?

Pardon my ignorance guys, but under what circumstances did you see it in a chamber or on land? Was this post-dive, where the diver had exceeded their max PPO2 or something else entirely (perhaps not even dive-related)?

In chambers it happens...any chamber operator or attendant has probably seen it.

Ts&m's reference was to non O2 related seizures. I have seen my daughter have seizures almost daily since she was 6 weeks old...so I can see her point.

I suffered one. Well I guess really three. In a chamber. During a schedule 6. Not a grand mal seizure, but puked my brains out all over the attendant, three times. Each time was around the 20 minute mark when on O2 before the air break. We modified my treatment to 15 minutes on O2 / 5 minutes off after the third time the poor attendant was splattered. I had no other issues, but we did a couple of extensions and I did a second schedule 6 the next day.

In the 90s when we used to dive Ginnie on 36% with air computers and deco on O2,when I was sitting on the log I had facial twitching and ringing in my ears. Got off O2 in a hurry and went to bottom mix at a shallower depth. These gas mixes were SOP in this high flow cave,it is amazing we didn't have many incidents. Thankful we have learned and advanced.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom