February Nor'Wester

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you. I always enjoyed his operation.

I was up there about a month ago and the new owner, Nat, told me that Olin retired and sold him the business. It didn't seem quite the same without Olin's pithy, crusty observations on life.

The new owner is Indepth Watersports. They have been on island for a while and previously ran a RIB diveboat. They have a brand new big catamaran and run boat diving N and W as well as the shore based op.

I went out for a few boat dives with them and they run a decent operation.

Interesting.. I went out into the sand at 60-65' where there used to be a massive algae patch that we would spend hours in scouring for macro critters. Little remains of the algae, what is there, has been battered and abused, did find a couple pipefish . Hopefully with the cooler water temps, ( my gauge and body registered 78 degrees) it will bounce back fairly quickly. There are huge sponges scattered all about, that have been dislodged from who knows where, that small little habitats are all ready starting to form. Found some juvenile coral banded shrimp, arrow crabs, numerous other crabs, and juve angelfish setting up cleaning stations. Lots of stingrays about, as has been the case over the course of the winter. Friends that were diving mini wall later afternoon say Eagle ray and Nurse shark as well. I found a Large puffer eating a big mussel of some kind, trying to fend off a Hogfish trying to partake in the meal, a very tiny juvenile Goldentail moray and a very large Dark Mantis. In the sea pool there is a Large Red Lip Blenny and a small Chain Moray that some how survived the storm, small wonders..

I was up there about a month ago and the new owner, Nat, told me that Olin retired and sold him the business. It didn't seem quite the same without Olin's pithy, crusty observations on life.

The new owner is Indepth Watersports. They have been on island for a while and previously ran a RIB diveboat. They have a brand new big catamaran and run boat diving N and W as well as the shore based op.

I went out for a few boat dives with them and they run a decent operation.
Did you realize that Nat was a former employee of Divetech many moons ago, and actually worked there at the shop when they first opened at Turtle Reef?

Sounds like the operation may be in good hands. Will be down in May.

Did you realize that Nat was a former employee of Divetech many moons ago, and actually worked there at the shop when they first opened at Turtle Reef?
I actually dove with him on the boat in my early days diving with Divetech.

He struck out on his own and bought the name (and I think boat) of a dive company called InDepth Watersports that at the time was based on the Brac.

There is a movie called Cayman Went that is super-cheesy but actually is set on the Brac with some dive shots. Eagle-eyed viewers (those that haven't fallen asleep) will see the InDepth logo on the dive boat they use.

InDepth was Craig Burkhart?'s startup on Brac that operated from the Divi dock after Divi shut down, correct? I dove with him may years ago when he was a boat captain at Brac Reef and he seemed like a fun guy.

InDepth was Craig Burkhart?'s startup on Brac that operated from the Divi dock after Divi shut down, correct? I dove with him may years ago when he was a boat captain at Brac Reef and he seemed like a fun guy.
Exactly this. As I understand it, Nat Robb bought it from Craig

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom