February Nor'Wester

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alucard

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just to inform everyone - there is a major Nor'Wester storm hitting the Cayman Islands right now. Coastal damage seems to be extensive right now, but nobody has really had the chance to evaluate. Shore diving will definitely be disrupted, not sure how long - it's not just the shoreline but shore-side equipment like compressors, tanks, etc. I have seen big damage at Macabuca and Lighthouse Point, and the whole of downtown George Town is cut off right now. There will probably be damage at the Seven Mile Beach properties but haven't seen any reports yet.

If you are coming to the island to dive, I would recommend contacting your dive op tomorrow (Wednesday) once they know what impact they may have, in case you need to change your plans.

Yep . it's pretty ugly here right now.. but that being said. It's not the first rodeo for these folks. Sure they'll be picking up the pieces quickly and back in action in no time.

Heading down on Saturday. Will be interesting.

Already mentioned on another thread, but Indepth Watersports have said that on Saturday they will resume operations at Macabuca/Turtle Reef, even though neither Macabuca nor Cracked Conch will be open. This is great news. I saw that he had a LOT of help to clear out his stuff and evaluate his situation. The community is very strong, here.

Already mentioned on another thread, but Indepth Watersports have said that on Saturday they will resume operations at Macabuca/Turtle Reef, even though neither Macabuca nor Cracked Conch will be open. This is great news. I saw that he had a LOT of help to clear out his stuff and evaluate his situation. The community is very strong, here.
Really excited to hear this. That is one of my favorite shore dive spots...especially for a night dive.

We're heading to Little Cayman on 2/20. Yesterday I reached out to Southern Cross Club to check on them. They replied:

"...since the resort is located on the South side of the island it was more protected so we did not sustain any damage. The airport is fine too. We are cleaning up the beaches on the North side but other than that, all is good.".

Just a quick update - I did a shore dive off Turtle Reef today. InDepth have their operation working with tanks (even Nitrox), rental gear and the like. The setup area isn't as big as it used to be, but that's just temporary.

The storm really damaged the hardpan in the shallows - it looks like a lunar landscape now. There was some damage on top of the mini wall, but at the bottom it was business as usual. Stingrays, grouper, a Rainbow Parrotfish, 3 nice anemones. Water was very clear. Some large shoals of fish, too. They currently aren't allowing snorkeling from the site, because they are in the middle of jack-hammering Macabuca's bar and rebuilding the roof, so they only want divers there right now - cruise ship visitors are being turned away by security.

Rumour has it Macabuca is targeting opening in another 7 days - they have a ton of work to do, though!

Just a quick update - I did a shore dive off Turtle Reef today. InDepth have their operation working with tanks (even Nitrox), rental gear and the like. The setup area isn't as big as it used to be, but that's just temporary.

The storm really damaged the hardpan in the shallows - it looks like a lunar landscape now. There was some damage on top of the mini wall, but at the bottom it was business as usual. Stingrays, grouper, a Rainbow Parrotfish, 3 nice anemones. Water was very clear. Some large shoals of fish, too. They currently aren't allowing snorkeling from the site, because they are in the middle of jack-hammering Macabuca's bar and rebuilding the roof, so they only want divers there right now - cruise ship visitors are being turned away by security.

Rumour has it Macabuca is targeting opening in another 7 days - they have a ton of work to do, though!
Did we bump tanks? I was there about 8:30-11:00 am.. :wink:

Cindy

What happened to the previous dive op at turtle reef?

Back
Top Bottom