Asthma/depression - BUT I WANT TO DIVE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi everyone,

My name is Dustin and I'm 28, almost 29 years old. I made the decision recently to join the U.S. Navy as a NSW/NSO diver, but to much disappointment, discovered that asthma is a disqualifier across all branches of the service, as well as depression.

Diving has hit me so hard and true that I want to do anything and everything possible to pursue a career in this field, if I can do it safely for both myself and the others that I would be working with.

Now, more information...

Depression - I take 50mg of Zoloft daily. I have spent the last 5 years or so analyzing myself very intimately and I am most definitely back on track. Depression is no longer an issue and I'm sure I can get my docs to sign off on this. I'm not as worried about this as I am asthma. I have learned how to control the depression - I have a very, very strong mental attitude.

Asthma - I've had it since I was a kid, but I've never considered it a disability until other people told me it was. I used to skateboard as a kid, P.E. in school was fine, I even started exercising and running on a regular basis. I have exercise-induced asthma, but it is also triggered by other factors such as smoke or mold or whatnot. BUT - I KNOW WHAT I CAN AND CAN'T DO. I was on Advair for a month or so as a trial medication, and it changed my life. For the first time ever I didn't have to use my rescue inhaler.

My question is this - if I can prove / show a solid history of Advair use without having any asthma attacks or having to use an inhaler, can I dive? My goal is to talk to my doctor and get a script for Advair. Once I have that (in the next week), I plan to start training for the U.S. Navy physical testing. I still may be ineligible for the Navy - I'm going to talk to my local recruiter to see if controlled asthma via Advair is acceptable. More than likely it is not - and this disappoints me greatly. It took me years to set my heart on something only to find out my asthma is preventing me from doing so. I will not stand for this - I will beat this monster and do anything to overcome it. If Theodore Roosevelt can, you bet your ass I can.

Please - if anyone has any experience with this or knows of anyone I can speak to or any dive schools I can attend, please let me know. Again - this is a decision that I have thought years about and I'm going to do every possible thing I can to at least attempt to do this. I will NOT let it control my life.

(I apologize for not doing a quick search for articles related to this. I'm at work now [I've been in IT for years], but I'm so distraught over the recent news that I have to ask, I have to do whatever I can to try.)

Thanks,
Dustin

I think you should read this...and TRY it....you literally have nothing to lose, and everything to gain...
Buteyko Breathing Method Helps Reverse Health Problems!

This is also great for freediving, which is an additional path for your underwater interests.

Cogaritis,

I certainly can understand your passion to dive! You may be able to dive with a doctor's permission, but I'd like for you to keep one thing paramount and at the forefront of your desire, the safety of your buddy.

Before you take the plunge, give serious, honest and critical thought as to whether or not you feel that you would be a safe buddy and able to maintain the proper mental and physical decorum in the face of an emergency at depth.

I do hope all goes well in your favor and, if you do embark on your diving adventures, I wish for you, always . . .

Safe dives, safer ascents . . .

the K

I think you should read this...and TRY it....you literally have nothing to lose, and everything to gain...
Buteyko Breathing Method Helps Reverse Health Problems!

This is also great for freediving, which is an additional path for your underwater interests.

Will do. I think I ran across that while reading about a Navy SEAL who lied about having asthma and forced himself through the struggle without medication. I don't want federal charges brought against me, so I won't go that route. :)

---------- Post added February 25th, 2014 at 02:32 PM ----------

Cogaritis,

I certainly can understand your passion to dive! You may be able to dive with a doctor's permission, but I'd like for you to keep one thing paramount and at the forefront of your desire, the safety of your buddy.

Before you take the plunge, give serious, honest and critical thought as to whether or not you feel that you would be a safe buddy and able to maintain the proper mental and physical decorum in the face of an emergency at depth.

I do hope all goes well in your favor and, if you do embark on your diving adventures, I wish for you, always . . .

Safe dives, safer ascents . . .

the K

I agree 100%. I'm willing to take some risks regarding my own life, but never will I risk someone else's life.

I was certified at 16 in 1977 and was diagnosed with asthma in my 20's. Currently I am a Family Physician, I haven't dived in years, except snorkeling, though as life got in the way. My asthma triggers are new world monkey fur (long story), upper respiratory infections and oak pollen. Cold air actually helps me. If I was screening some one I would want to know what their triggers are and how often they need there rescue. I would probably recommend a shot of albuterol prior to a dive though.

Got the Advair - it's amazing. Haven't used the rescue inhaler at all (and I was using it daily prior to starting Advair).

Oh, and @Doc oc - a preventative shot of albuterol does not work for me. I've tried this on many occasions. I would take a puff or two of my inhaler before starting to run a mile, and about 1/4 to 1/2 way through an attack would hit, then I would take a puff or two, and from there on out everything was fine. I had to trigger it first to treat it. But so far the Advair has prevented attacks. I use that word with extreme caution - prevented - because I know this is not true. I'm just trying to see how far I can push myself on Advair to trigger an attack.

After another week or so, I'll start running again. See if I can trigger it. If not, then I'll go see a "dive doc" and see the results of my lung function. See if he can trigger an attack with the cold air or whatever tests they have up their sleeve.

Another concern of mine is being able to have a successful career with diving. I don't mind being underwater for weeks, or doing dangerous things - I just don't know if there is even a demand for someone like me. It seems to me that everyone is so scared about diving and asthma that I will have a huge battle ahead of me and I'm not even sure it's worth it. The dive schools say asthma is an immediate disqualifier. Hell, even the army won't take me (that's pretty bad, they'll take anyone [or at least that's the general consensus, no offense to my vet friends out there, I mean no disrespect]). Part of me is saying "well screw them, I'll show them, I'll work so hard that I'll be better than most and won't join them even if they ask later down the road." The other part is saying "what's to prove? what will you gain from this? what happens once proven? That's childish. What kind of future can you build with this?" Etc.

I wonder if the Navies for other countries is an option - such as the UK or Australia.

<Shrug> I guess I'll give it another few weeks and see how it goes! :)

Why are you so keen and convinced that the diving life is the life for you? You tell us nothing has hit you like this before, yet you've never been diving at all; not even a Discover SCUBA. You tell us that you want to be able to work under water doing things that you cannot even do above. Are you reaching for a handhold to try and pull you out of your depression? What are your friends and family saying to you in response to your desire? Have you discussed all this with your psychiatrist?

Last edited:
Another concern of mine is being able to have a successful career with diving. I don't mind being underwater for weeks, or doing dangerous things -

Apparently.

People with asthma can sometimes dive if it's well controlled and they're careful to avoid anything that can trigger it.

The other side of the coin is that if you have a bad asthma attack underwater that you can't control, you're probably going to die. Horribly.

Start slow. Then decide what you actually want to do.

You tell us nothing has hit you like this before, yet you've never been diving at all; not even a Discover SCUBA. Are you reaching for a handhold to try and pull you out of your depression? Have you discussed all this with your psychiatrist?

All very good questions. I'll think about them and respond.

Hell, even the army won't take me (that's pretty bad, they'll take anyone [or at least that's the general consensus, no offense to my vet friends out there, I mean no disrespect]).

Its funny you say that. If the Army took anyone my job would be much easier. I always wondered why people who have never been in think that anyone can join. We turn people away everyday to include people with no medical issues and people with college educations. The Army doesnt take everyone. In fact I would say most Americans are not qualified for service for one reason or another. If you didnt hear the military is drawing down.

I have had asthma my entire life, with many common items setting it off, like animal dander, pollen, some perfumes, etc. I have been on 4 medications for years, and have not suffered an attack for decades. Fortunately, my doctor is a diver, and after he put me though a battery of tests, signed off on my forms (which I have to have completed each year).

I am in my 50s, very athletic, and my asthma recedes when I exercise, especially heavily. I relish taking a dive and feeling my lungs breath so easily. In fact, during heavy pollen season, I'll take my regs and half a tank and breath on it for several hours sitting on a sofa watching TV- the hospital grade filtered air is wonderful.

I do a good amount of diving, 100-150 dives a year, much of it deep, cold water diving, and have never had an issue. But I do keep it in the back of my mind, and never dive when my respiratory system has any kind of distress.

As for the military, I can not offer any thoughts.

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom