Asthma/depression - BUT I WANT TO DIVE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now, does anyone know what field I could get in where I could work on Navy ships - like building them, repairs, all that kind of stuff? Or where I could learn about the engines they use and if there is even a demand for people who can work on these engines? I know welding is one area, but maybe there are others.

Shipyards use lots of trades - welders, pipefitters, electricians, engine mechanics, along with engineers, project managers, etc. For propulsion Navy ships use diesel engines, diesel-powered electric motors, gas turbines (jet engines), some steam, and nuclear propulsion (a field unto itself).

Best regards,
DDM

Shipyards use lots of trades - welders, pipefitters, electricians, engine mechanics, along with engineers, project managers, etc. For propulsion Navy ships use diesel engines, diesel-powered electric motors, gas turbines (jet engines), some steam, and nuclear propulsion (a field unto itself).

Best regards,
DDM

Awesome, thank you, this gives me a few ideas to start researching.

Maybe I should post this somewhere else, but I'll try on this thread first.

Are there any recreational / technical / scientific dive schools? Where does one go to learn this stuff? I am still insanely (borderline obsessed) interested in commercial diving. I mean, there has to be underwater welding in shallow waters, yes? What is the max depth one can go before having to worry about decompression sickness? (i.e. being able to escape to the surface of the water without fear of danger unrelated to an asthma attack?)

My goal now is to get a degree in some advanced field and pursue diving as a hobby, but I still want to learn all aspects of commercial diving (even if I never step foot in the water). You can never go wrong with more knowledge and education. I'm interested in in-shore diving too. I know there are engineer divers - typically civil engineers with diving knowledge. Working on dams and such. They may still be required to meet commercial standards though.

Also, since asthma and diving (and other medications) is "poorly" understood, how does one go about trying to initiate a study on it? I'm more than happy to be the guinea pig. Perhaps I can help someone 20 years from now who would be in a similar situation.

(It's hard to find out about this stuff in the middle of Arizona. I'm moving up to Washington within a year or two and that should give me the opportunity to go observe divers, the equipment they use, and perhaps give me quite a few more ideas for a direction I want to take.)

What do you guys think?

Are there any recreational / technical / scientific dive schools? Where does one go to learn this stuff?

I just took about 5 seconds to key in a Google search and got a long list of commercial diving schools. Here is one of the first on the list: http://www.diversinstitute.edu/. I have no idea if they are any good.

I would think the thing to do would be to call any of the ones on the list and ask them for their advice.

I just took about 5 seconds to key in a Google search and got a long list of commercial diving schools. Here is one of the first on the list: Commercial Diving, Underwater Welding School | Divers Institute. I have no idea if they are any good.

I would think the thing to do would be to call any of the ones on the list and ask them for their advice.

I appreciate the response, but I've already contacted them and they declined my enrollment because I can't pass their required physical. I have contacted them again to see if they'll let me enroll without diving, or diving with an escape plan (for lack of a better phrase), but I haven't heard back.

Specifically, I'm looking for schools that will allow students with medication-controlled asthma (ICS [Advair], not rescue inhalers such as Albuterol).

Thank you, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom