why are there very few young divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You're obviously not considering even the N. most part of the Gulf of Mexico and most of the year up to at least South Carolina and of course all of Mexico. To me even SoCal would be considered pretty warm water.

Not like SE Asia, it's not. Even in the middle of the summer, NC/SC isn't really warm water like SE Asia is (82-85F). Even if it is warm at the surface, the decent diving is a 90 minute boat ride away and 100ft deep. It's chilly down there, the water isn't as clear, the colors aren't as vivid. Even the KEYS aren't as good of diving as other destinations in SE Asia and the Caribbean, just to name a few. If I were surrounded on all sides by blue water and white sand, I promise I'd be in the water more often. When I have to drive 75 minutes to do a little muck dive to 60ft, I dive less often.

28 and my dive buddies (cousins ) are 25 and 24. I never really thought much about scuba most of the time growing up it was about surfing and boogie boarding scuba never really crossed our minds as another water activity that we could partake in. Since getting certified in January I've gone just about once a week, I've become a fiend and can't stop....it's an addiction to be proud of.

Many of my friends have kids that dive, and a few have kids/former kids that learned most of the material for 10-12 different PADI certs from the dinner table conversations they heard since day 1 of age. Our certified kids' diving seems mostly limited by their having so many other interesting things to do, places to be and people to be with. Being 12-23 yrs of age is a SOCIAL experience, esp. now when the kids socialize 24/7. A really big boost to their diving seems to be having a few friends their age that also dive.

So if you buy training for your kid and really want a long-term dive buddy, make a point of being nice and maybe even investing a little (pick up the lunch tab for instance) in the other same-age divers you two come across.

Can't speak for all kids, just mine who was certified at 12 (now 18) and has had the opportunity to go on many 3 week dive vacations. He informed me he does not want to dive anymore. Reason given is resorts and boats have had virtually no kids his age to hang out with. He did enjoy rescuing bikini clad models for rescue class. Many dive resorts are sleep/eat/dive variety with not a whole lot of other billed activities for younger kids who aren't worn out diving. He has experienced first hand rude divers who have "assumed" due to his age he did not possess the skills to be on advanced boats despite never having observed him diving or experience. They also assumed he didn't know how to shoot a DSLR. He was taught better than to say shut the ----- up and dive already. Respect....it works both ways. I just told him to ignore the idiots, be first to jump, exhale and let it go. When he was last back on board with great photos, the divehards finally grunted approval. He just got tired out having to defend himself when we went somewhere new. There were only a handful of strangers that came up and said anything encouraging. It really means a lot to a younger diver if they are acknowledged, made to feel like they are welcomed and not an intrusion into the geezer club. I'm not talking about boat crew who are paid to be hospitable to customers but other divers on boat. They just want to be accepted, not pampered, and certainly no hand holding when it comes to gear set-up etc. Don't assume, observe, then comment.

So, basically every diver out there can do something to encourage the younger divers! Speak to them.

And, the newer divers who might have the heebie jeebies just a wee bit. Sometimes sharing that we all had the heebie jeebies at one point or another starting out helps them feel better. Just encourage them to take their time, not rush, don't go beyond their comfort level means a lot, especially their first few dives with no instructor within arms reach. We are all out there to have a great dive and be safe doing it.

I began diving when I was 25 and wife was 23. I was interested as a kid, but my parents (immigrants) were very frugal and did not let me try “adventurous” activities. I was inclined to diving since I was on swim teams my whole childhood through high school. Additionally, I am a “fish geek” and basically had the “PADI Fish ID” course down when I was 12. Now I have a good job to fund my diving, an awesome dive buddy/wife, and ride motorcycles.

It is hard to get other young people down who don't have the same passion. My brother in law for example, would be interested in diving only if it meant riding the scooter around the whole time. No motor = no fun for some.

Can't speak for all kids, just mine who was certified at 12 (now 18) and has had the opportunity to go on many 3 week dive vacations. He informed me he does not want to dive anymore. Reason given is resorts and boats have had virtually no kids his age to hang out with. He did enjoy rescuing bikini clad models for rescue class. Many dive resorts are sleep/eat/dive variety with not a whole lot of other billed activities for younger kids who aren't worn out diving. He has experienced first hand rude divers who have "assumed" due to his age he did not possess the skills to be on advanced boats despite never having observed him diving or experience. They also assumed he didn't know how to shoot a DSLR. He was taught better than to say shut the ----- up and dive already. Respect....it works both ways. I just told him to ignore the idiots, be first to jump, exhale and let it go. When he was last back on board with great photos, the divehards finally grunted approval. He just got tired out having to defend himself when we went somewhere new. There were only a handful of strangers that came up and said anything encouraging. It really means a lot to a younger diver if they are acknowledged, made to feel like they are welcomed and not an intrusion into the geezer club. I'm not talking about boat crew who are paid to be hospitable to customers but other divers on boat. They just want to be accepted, not pampered, and certainly no hand holding when it comes to gear set-up etc. Don't assume, observe, then comment.

So, basically every diver out there can do something to encourage the younger divers! Speak to them.

And, the newer divers who might have the heebie jeebies just a wee bit. Sometimes sharing that we all had the heebie jeebies at one point or another starting out helps them feel better. Just encourage them to take their time, not rush, don't go beyond their comfort level means a lot, especially their first few dives with no instructor within arms reach. We are all out there to have a great dive and be safe doing it.

Just when he's on the verge of being accepted as an adult and likely no longer "having to defend himself" he wants to quit diving. The irony of it.

Irony. Tell me about it!

It is a very expensive sport, and especially with kids growing bodies needing new gear (multiple custom wetsuits due to being tall, thin). Should have started him out with backplate/wing but didn't know if he'd like sport or not at the time or how much diving he actually would do. He did like diving, wrote papers about it for school over the years, shared photos, talked about gear, skills required, experiences, creatures. Kids are very social and like doing stuff with kids their own age though no way around that and there just isn't the younger set out on dive boats we were on.

I so love the ocean wanted to provide him an opportunity I never had growing up (and would have killed for). Going on one last 3 week trip before he is off to college and am hoping he will do at least a few dives but am not going to force the issue. Reminded him that any travel/diving/gear after that would be on his own dime and that might do the trick. Am hoping he will pick up hobby later on and provide his kids an opportunity to dive if they wish.

Don't regret one dime spent as have wonderful memories of diving as a family and he has plenty of stories of....as we were rounding the corner of the wreck I saw a shark and it was awesome...

X2 Nothing like the memories you create with them as youngsters to cement the relationship you will have with them as adults! I know there is the old saying.. "The family that prays together.. stays together but I would also say that the family that Plays together also stays together."

Sounds like you have a lot of good memories to bind you together! Life isn't just about work and bringing kids up shouldn't be either. If he loved it once no doublt he will come back to it. Bet he will discover he can impress the girls with his stories and pictures .. that is a pretty handy thing too:)

Some of my fondest memories were spent diving with my dad. I, now having paid for similar trips, truly do feel horrible for him paying what he did for us to go diving. I have a REALLY guilty conscience about stuff like that. Having said that, I know he'd pay for it all over again (and he's cheap) to have spent the time on it that we did. I'm trying to guilt him in to a little diving trip for old time's sake (I'm 24, so not THAT old). He used to LOVE diving but hasn't been in years.

Back on the topic of young divers: I never really got the judgement when I was a kid. First dive at 11, certified at 13, hundreds of dives in the Caribbean after that. I was never asked to watch out for anyone, but was certainly never questioned. I was given a fair chance until I got in the water, and any would-be critics shut up after that. I was far from perfect, but far better than a lot of the adults. I'm sorry your son had to deal with anything else. Even without my dad, I was treated as an adult.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom