why are there very few young divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A little compare and contrast:

I started scuba right after I started skydiving, and if the "scuba is for old dudes" thing being discussed on here is true (which I'm not convinced it is), then the sport of skydiving is the opposite - with guys jumping from balloons on the edge of space, wingsuits, and base jumping, skydiving is definitely "in." Yet there are very few people under 30 jumping out of planes - for the same reason I think a lot of people under 30 aren't diving from boats: too little money.

Older generations who have had money in the bank and attained job security years ago seem to be a little out of touch with reality. That is to say that things are not what they used to be: the job market isn't thriving like it was before, you can't get a good job without at least a bachelor's degree (and in most cases you need a master's), universities are ridiculously expensive, student loan payments suck up a paycheck nearly as fast as rent, the gas it takes just to get to a job day after day is a major expense, and in many cases kids are moving back in with their parents because they can't make ends meet - much less buying up houses, starting families, paying off their debt, moving up in their job fast enough to get good pay and weeks of vacation, and then taking off to the tropics for a some diving after buying up a bunch of costly c-cards and dive gear.

There seems to be a widespread belief that those individuals in Gen Y, along with those making up a sizable chunk of Gen X, are having difficulty because of an obsession with technology, having been spoiled, being lazy, having a sense of entitlement, etc. From what I have seen through my own experiences, however, is that any of these qualities that can be seen in younger generations are there because they were passed down from their parents (and more recently their grandparents). Look at the cases of parents going to job interviews with their kids. Go to a school and listen to the parents complain about how the teachers are so terrible for expecting kids to have earn their grades.

Let's be honest - it was the G.I. Generation and the Silent Generation who busted their butts because they had to, and they created a better life for all of us. The fruits of their labor have started to run out (and it's only because there were so many that our society didn't run out sooner), the original spoiled *** little brats are still sitting comfortably on the cushions the great generations provided for them, and the younger individuals are having to come to terms with the fact that the indoctrination they received from their parents (and some younger grandparents) was delusional at best. Who woulda thunk you actually had to put effort into getting an education, invest in your future, and work to make a living?

For those younger individuals who are on here because they worked their butts off and who are not sitting at home with a bunch of gear their parents bought for them: hats off to you. Keep doing what you're doing and help the delusional members of society get their heads out out from where the sun don't shine. Put your hard-won advanced degrees to good use, because quite honestly you don't have a choice if any of these huge problems caused in recent history are going to be fixed.

And when you need to recharge: DIVE DIVE DIVE!

the lack of young divers only applies to the states, because the economy is crap and all the dumb kids overpaid for a bunch of useless college classes and now cant find a job. if you go to s.e. asia you will find that most divers are young (not to mention the diving is much better)!

the lack of young divers only applies to the states, because the economy is crap and all the dumb kids overpaid for a bunch of useless college classes and now cant find a job. if you go to s.e. asia you will find that most divers are young (not to mention the diving is much better)!

Sadly, there is some truth to this. If America doesn't get it together and sharpen up the innovative edge that made us a superpower, we're going to find our own young talent off in many different places around the world. Herein lies a great reason for encouraging younger individuals to get into diving - it opens the mind to opportunities, possiblites, encourages learning and applying science, tech, and math, and creates a desire to discover. If we had a young generation of divers coming up, we'd be headed toward another age of prosperity.

Hmmm let me think about this comparison of North America and S.E. Asia for a moment. North America freezing *ss cold much of the time, waters harsh and often unforgiving vs S.E.Asia hot temps, lovely warm water . . . Ya, I see where you are coming from.

Hmmm let me think about this comparison of North America and S.E. Asia for a moment. North America freezing *ss cold much of the time, waters harsh and often unforgiving vs S.E.Asia hot temps, lovely warm water . . . Ya, I see where you are coming from.
hmmmmm.......usa wealthy and full of good swimmers, asia poor and full of people who cant swim!....and yet s.e. asia still kicks ass for young divers!

They are all xpats . . .:wink:

hmmmmm.......usa wealthy and full of good swimmers, asia poor and full of people who cant swim!....and yet s.e. asia still kicks ass for young divers!
It's getting more and more expensive to live here. People have less extra cash to do hobbies. Many are working several part time jobs just to make ends meet.
Also the US has oceans on each side a lot of which aren't exactly what is considered good diving in certain areas and a lot of fresh water in the middle, and cold winters in most areas.
Where you are is where people go for diving vacations. Swimming and diving these days doesn't really relate. You don't have to be an excellent lap swimmer with a perfect stroke to dive, not even close. In fact you don't have to be able to swim worth crap, all you have to do is a snorkel.
American young people have a lot more to worry about besides learning how to dive.

have to agree with many of the comments here.

looking at attending an OW course soon here myself. (middle age) my initial investment to attend will be right around $500-550 with fees and equip. this gets me started. tell a 20 something you need them to spend 500 dollars to go swim..........not likely to happen

as one post above mentioned a parent paying for his son. makes sense my sons were into dirtbikes and quads, guess who else was? guess who foot the bill? they love riding and will go in a heartbeat, anytime I offer to "sponsor" a trip. now days trying to get things in order on their own there is no extra money for toys.

lastly, chicks...........yeah we all know that one is true :D why jump out of an airplane? why jump out of a boat filled with bikinis? LOL

You're obviously not considering even the N. most part of the Gulf of Mexico and most of the year up to at least South Carolina and of course all of Mexico. To me even SoCal would be considered pretty warm water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom