Divemaster worth it if not going to work in industry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DM won't make you a better diver. Diving will.

Get your AOW, get some dives in, and go on a vacation. That'll teach you much more than DM will.

AOW won't be enough for 'everywhere', NAUI doesn't look at AOW like PADI does, you'll need Rescue to equal AOW in a place that recognizes NAUI such as French Polynesia. Just say'n if you want to be technical.

You are right. I did not want to mention that France was an exception :shakehead:. THE country were they made a revolution in order to get "LIBERTY" , but not for diving. In a lot of places, you have to obey with the dictatorship of the FFESSM.:no:

I have my open water certification with 30+ dives. Just quit my corporate job and have some free time on my hands. Was considering going for my dive master certification somewhere warm. Looked like about 8 week investment and around $2800. Might be doable. But I don't really need the certification and I don't really plan on working in the industry. I just want to do a bunch of diving and keep my costs down. Is it worth it? Or am I better off just going somewhere cheap like Utilla or Thailand for a month?

You have asked a very good question "is it worth it?" That depends om what you want to do. Most take the DM course or internship to go on to be an Instructor. Some do it just to have fun and other for the knowledge and experience so they know how to handle other divers in and out of the water. As some have said, look at what you get, housing, equipment use, many dives, etc.....

Just to go to Utila or Thailand and dive because it is cheap is crazy. Of course it is cheap, the diving is not that good. Better, if you just want to dive, go someplace cool like the Maldives, Truk lagoon, Great barrier reef, Cozumel, Belize or any number of fantastic dive locations around the world.

Take a AOW + Rescue class, that is all you need if you don't plan to teach and spend the rest on diving as others have mentioned

Or am I better off just going somewhere cheap like Utilla or Thailand for a month?

The kinds of dives you'll be doing for DM are pretty crappy, boring, repetitive student dives. If you just want to do a bunch of diving go do a bunch of diving.

I travel by myself some for diving. While I have some good local dive buddies our schedules do not always match. I found myself frequently diving with instabuddies. Usually they were less experienced and was playing the role of mentor/guide/etc. As long as it is not a special dive for me I enjoy that role. However, I decided that if I was going to be doing that I should actually know what I was doing. So I went ahead and got my DM. This was after rescue and over a 100 dives. Not sure if getting DM did anything for me skill wise but it made me a much better mentor/guide/etc. I also understand the science side better now which is also something I enjoy. I think it made me a better diver. Friend of mine is an instructor so I help him out with class from time to time just because I enjoy being in the water. So for me I am glad I did it.

---
I should point out that most of my diving is Florida and NC and I avoid group guided dives. For special dives where I do not want to risk an instabuddy cutting a dive short I will just rent a DM to buddy with.

You have to want it. Sure, you will learn more skills and become a better diver, but success is based on desire. You have to want to be a dive leader.

DM is a really fun class though.

I had a blast doing my PADI DM in Florida. My teacher just passed away about a month ago. Salty old dog, but he taught me so much.

Thanks for all the input.

If I dont plan on working in the industry, I am not sure the time and money is worth it. Right now I am leaning towards a shorter version, getting my AOW. That sounds good. Less of a time and money committment while still improving my diving.

Now I have to figure out if Roatan/Utilla or Thailand is the better option (for May). Tough decisions. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom