New Go Pro User

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nuts4koi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just bought a Go Pro for my upcoming live aboard trip in May. I will be helping transplant spiny sea urchins and I wanted something where I could go hands free, so I got the head band mount. I plan on putting a tether on it to my BC so if it comes off I won't lose it. My question is; how many of you use the head band and do you have any suggestions for me other than trying to make sure I don't move my head too quickly while filming? Any help would be much appreciated.

I used it a bit at first. didn't like the shaky head cam footage, but I understand the needs for hands free.

If you wear a hood, put on the hood first then pull down the topside over the back of your head. Then put on the head strap and pull the hood back over the strap. This way you can't lose it and you won't need the tether.

I used it a bit at first. didn't like the shaky head cam footage, but I understand the needs for hands free.

If you wear a hood, put on the hood first then pull down the topside over the back of your head. Then put on the head strap and pull the hood back over the strap. This way you can't lose it and you won't need the tether.

If you are looking for a hands free way of filming other than a head or mask mount try looking at this BCD Go mount from Z Gear https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_h5b_BJ1234

This mount will let you get steadier filming unlike the head or mask mounts and you also won't have the bubbles in your shots. This mount is best worn over the left upper BCD or it can also be used with the extension on the right side see this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YjlrJK_XfO0

Hope this helps!

I just bought a Go Pro for my upcoming live aboard trip in May. I will be helping transplant spiny sea urchins and I wanted something where I could go hands free, so I got the head band mount. I plan on putting a tether on it to my BC so if it comes off I won't lose it. My question is; how many of you use the head band and do you have any suggestions for me other than trying to make sure I don't move my head too quickly while filming? Any help would be much appreciated.

I use one. Some things I've found to be useful below:

- Calibrate the angle correctly before you use it, using the gopro app on your phone or tablet and the gopro mounted on your head. Look at stuff and compare to the image you get on screen.
If you want to film things close up (about 45 deg angle), the angle will be different then if you want to film far shots (about 70-90 deg angle) in my experience.

- Adjust the head strap so its very snug. This will minimize "bounce" movement when you move your head.

- The tether is unnecessary. Put on your mask, pull it down to your neck, put on gopro head mount, then pull mask strap over gopro strap. I've done backrolls off boats many times without problems this way.

- When giant striding or backrolling off a boat, right hand on mask and reg, left hand press the headstrap plate tight on your forehead.

- Make sure you use the right screw (long one) on the mount, otherwise you'll have a hard time screwing it down (the knob will hit the casing).

- Get a red filter of some sort. I use the cheapo glass Polar Pro filter. Make sure the string holding it in place is short, otherwise it'll float around and ruin your video.

- Turn on and start taping before jumping in. I like to record the entire dive, so if you prefer to record short segments this might not apply. This way I can visually check its on and recording, then I'll speak the name of the dive site into the video so I have a reference later.

Sorry I up loaded the wrong video for the hands free BCD Go Pro mount this is the right one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=90b2mLRwwX4

You can turn on the mount and pretty much for get about that its there, while still getting some steadier filming footage.You won't have to worry about moving your head to quickly!

Thanks for the information. I am seriously considering the BCD mount too. I will try both. Part of the trip will be snorkeling to get the urchins. I will probably use the head band for that part of it.

If you're going to be using a snorkel and a headstrap, you can put your mask and snokel on, then put the gogro strap over the snorkel and on your head as if the snorkel wasn't there, then pull the bottom of the snorkel up and put the bottom of snorkel on the outside of the side strap. That way if the gopro strap gets knocked off your head it will still be attached to your snorkel.

If you attach it that way, it will look Like this: gopro.jpg

I use to use the headstrap, but switched to wristmount because I didn't want to have to put my face really close up to subjects that I was trying to film such as eels, crabs, lingcod and octopi, and the bubbles entering the frame was distracting, plus I soon discovered I move my head ALOT during scuba diving haha.

Fundive, thanks for the info. That sounds like a great way to make sure I don't lose the camera. Although I think we are going to be pretty shallow. The BCD mount should work better for the actual dive. Like you, I really don't want to be too close to the critters. :D

I have a friend who used a head strap, and found it and GoPro missing after the dive...
Just something to think about.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom