Probably saved myself $2K today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess what I was trying to get across, was that I did see value in them, just not enough to spend $2K at my activity level. Since I don't feel I "need" one, I will not get one - at this time. If I were to ever get into, say, New England deep wreck diving, I would likely get one, because to do that activity, I would "need" one.

In many hobbies and activities, we all get things for the cool factor, or because they are "better" than what we have. Is a dry suit "better" than a wet suit? For certain circumstances, yes, just not what I do. I also rock climb. I could buy a $500 full body & chest harness. Instead, I bought a $100 rescue harness. Is the $500 one "better"? Not for what I do. Would I ever get one? Only if I "needed" it.

When Peter and I started diving together, he dove wet and I dove dry. His conclusion, after six months of diving with a variety of people, was that, for the first dive, there was little difference in how long he could stay in the water versus the dry suit divers. It was the second dive that was the killer. And when we have dived off the boats in SoCal, which often do four dives in a day, we have noticed that the dry suit divers do all the dives, and the wetsuit divers do shorter dives and often spend the 4th one in the hot tub.

I know there are people who really prefer to dive wet when they can, and I actually understand it. The freedom of a 3 mil wetsuit, and the minimal weight required to wear it, are delightful. But there is nowhere I have been in the world where I won't be cold when I get out of the water after an hour in a 3 mil -- or even 5 mil - suit. Yes, the dry suit takes a little longer to get into, for the first dive . . . after that, people struggling into cold, wet neoprene have almost as much trouble. Yes, the dry suit can fail in a way that makes it unusable (and I had a zipper go on the first day of a cave diving trip. That was almost a disaster!). But getting back on the boat, unzipping the suit and stepping out of it to wander off looking for a Coke beats shivering, wrapping in a towel, and desperately looking for some hot tea.

I guess what I was trying to get across, was that I did see value in them, just not enough to spend $2K at my activity level. Since I don't feel I "need" one, I will not get one - at this time. If I were to ever get into, say, New England deep wreck diving, I would likely get one, because to do that activity, I would "need" one.

In many hobbies and activities, we all get things for the cool factor, or because they are "better" than what we have. Is a dry suit "better" than a wet suit? For certain circumstances, yes, just not what I do. I also rock climb. I could buy a $500 full body & chest harness. Instead, I bought a $100 rescue harness. Is the $500 one "better"? Not for what I do. Would I ever get one? Only if I "needed" it.

You will see the value if you dive more often, and if your dive gets longer. And when you do, you will wonder why didn't you get one earlier so that you won't surfer the coldness and numbness for all of those time before. And again, if you don't need a shiny new drysuit, it can be had for much less than $2K.

Problem is, New England water is in the 50's for about 4 months a year which also has decent topside temps. The other 8 months, you don't want to bond so close with the environment.
Well that's great for you, but I don't live in New England. I live in Northern California where the water is always between 45 and 53 year around, and maybe 10 degrees warmer down in the southern part.
This seems to be a mostly regional related argument.
There are more wetsuit divers in my area than drysuit divers.
That also is the result of the type of diving that many do on the north coast, which would be freediving for abalone.
People in this area are already used to diving wet from freediving so they just transfer it to scuba diving.

---------- Post added May 30th, 2014 at 09:55 PM ----------

You will see the value if you dive more often, and if your dive gets longer. And when you do, you will wonder why didn't you get one earlier so that you won't surfer the coldness and numbness for all of those time before. And again, if you don't need a shiny new drysuit, it can be had for much less than $2K.
Don't you see though, drysuit divers like you aren't seeing the value I see diving wet. Just because you get cold and miserable doesn't mean we do. We don't care if our hands and feet get a bit cold because we're used to it and diving wet is so refreshing and great that even a bit of discomfort doesn't bother us. We don't care, we're water people.
The guys that used to go out in 50 degree water with nothing more than wool clothing before wetsuits even came along, do you think cold water stopped them? They just loved the water and diving so much that they did it anyway.

Don't you understand???

I've recorded 50*F+ water temps in MA from May through November. Even New Year's Day is only 45*F

That is true for surface temps, but most dives for me are below the surface where it is a bit cooler. If you are content to splash around in 20 feet at Back Bay or someplace similar then it might not matter much.

---------- Post added May 30th, 2014 at 10:20 PM ----------

Well that's great for you, but I don't live in New England. I live in Northern California where the water is always between 45 and 53 year around, and maybe 10 degrees warmer down in the southern part.
That also is the result of the type of diving that many do on the north coast, which would be freediving for abalone.
People in this area are already used to diving wet from freediving so they just transfer it to scuba diving.

Don't you understand???

OP lives in New England, where I dived for years. Yes, it is regional to some extent, in California you have a chance to warm up between dives, the air temp is much more moderate. I grew up diving wet in So Cal and never understood the spend thrifts diving dry. Still even in So Cal, when you hit a dive boat in winter, you tend to see a good number of dry suits. In summer on the same boat or for shallow beach dives, not very many.

Don't you see though, drysuit divers like you aren't seeing the value I see diving wet. Just because you get cold and miserable doesn't mean we do. We don't care if our hands and feet get a bit cold because we're used to it and diving wet is so refreshing and great that even a bit of discomfort doesn't bother us. We don't care, we're water people.
The guys that used to go out in 50 degree water with nothing more than wool clothing before wetsuits even came along, do you think cold water stopped them? They just loved the water and diving so much that they did it anyway.

Don't you understand???

Calm down Eric. I dove wet too, just not when I feel cold. Different people has different cold tolerance. And I admit that I don't have a lot of it.

So the question remain tho, to OP, is it between wetsuit vs drysuit at 45-55F water (typical Monterey) or is it between drysuit and $2K? If money is no issue would you dive dry or wet at this temp? If the answer is wet, I total respect that.

If it is between drysuit and $2K, then all I am saying is that you can get into a decent condition drysuit + undergarment for a lot less. Probably too much more than a good new wetsuit (In my lucky cases).

---------- Post added May 30th, 2014 at 09:55 PM ----------

Don't you understand???

Eric, I don't mean to sound like an ass, but the reverse could also be said.

I have no dog in this "fight". I enjoy diving wet when conditions alow, I'd like to dive wet all the time but unfortunately the mind is willing but the body is not. I dive dry in winter because if I didn't I wouldn't be diving at all. First and foremost we all share a love of diving. Whether one prefers wet or dry to me is irrelevant. If one needs a drysuit to extend dive season then cool, have at it and if one can handle cold temps without a drysuit cool. For me it's not about choice but necessity. And for the record I do prefer diving wet but I thank my drysuit for allowing me to double the number of yearly dives I am able to do. For me the cost is/was worth it. It's my only hobby so sitting at home for almost eight months of the year waiting for water temps to increase hurts. Guess I'm soft. Ok,let's all don our wetsuits and drysuits and go diving. Cheers.

Here in Finland I always tell my students that the best way to save money on a wetsuit is not not buy one and go get a drysuit. To us wetsuits are for travel. Some always keep on struggling with those awful thick uncomfortable neoprene armours until they either give up the sport, only dive on vacations or go dry.

- Mikko Laakkonen -

I love diving and teaching others to dive.

Sorry I started this thread. My original intent was just to say that "I" don't feel a need to buy a dry suit, and in doing so, saved myself from spending $2K, making me happy and able to spend it elsewhere. I will now unsubscribe from the thread. I would delete it if I knew how. Jeez, some people's kids. (that was a joke)

Sorry I started this thread. My original intent was just to say that "I" don't feel a need to buy a dry suit, and in doing so, saved myself from spending $2K, making me happy and able to spend it elsewhere. I will now unsubscribe from the thread. I would delete it if I knew how. Jeez, some people's kids. (that was a joke)

Scubaboard can sometimes be a bit rough - the members here can and will argue about just about anything. I apologize if you feel we picked on you. Everyone has their own opinion and makes spending decisions based on their unique needs. The decision you made not to go dry is valid, one that I committed to and agreed with for 25 years, the benefits were not worth the money for me.

I think what you missed was you made 3 statements (the dry suit was not any warmer, took longer to don and required more weight) based on a single dive. Those of use with significant dry suit experience realize that the first item is just plain false (assuming proper undergarments) and the second a toss up based on experience. The 3rd item (more weight) is true. So to expect us to stand by idle without rebutting is not going to happen.

Then to close you post, you comment how how the experience was good because it got you in the water for the first time this year in May. Essentially you just demonstrated how a dry suit enables year round diving in cold climates.

Best wishes and safe diving

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom