Empty boat sinks during dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks like the boat was trailer-able, so they probably left the drain plug out... .

Yep, and I can hear them now….."YOU were supposed to check it….."…."no, YOU were…". haha. Pretty embarrassing.

St Lawrence river.

Thanks...

I have no experience of boating along the Canadian border, and while I will agree that leaving a boat unattended adds risk; the risks can be mitigated. It would be a sad day when the authorities require a dive supervisor on board.

Where I live, because of the occasional currents, diving without a tended boat is pretty close to a death wish.......

Thanks...

I have no experience of boating along the Canadian border, and while I will agree that leaving a boat unattended adds risk; the risks can be mitigated. It would be a sad day when the authorities require a dive supervisor on board.

Then it's already a sad day because both the Sheriff and the US and the Canadian Border Patrol will cause a world of hurt if there's nobody on the boat, and I can't say as I blame them.

It's a huge risk if everybody leaves the boat. There's no special reason to believe it won't just drift off into the shipping channel, be stolen or sink or catch fire or whatever while everybody is underwater.

flots.

It's a huge risk if everybody leaves the boat. There's no special reason to believe it won't just drift off into the shipping channel, be stolen or sink or catch fire or whatever while everybody is underwater.

flots.

The only real risk is having a current pick up to where you can't get back to the boat. We leave my boat empty all the time. But before any diving or hunting starts we always secure the anchor on the bottom. Also accounting for a wind shift.

Leaving a boat untended for many divers is a common experience. It's kind of like solo diving. If you have the experience and doing something like photography then you do not want a dive buddy unless they have a lot of patience. So you therefore run you boat to the reef anchor or moor it and dive.

The only real risk is having a current pick up to where you can't get back to the boat.

You might not be able to get back to the boat, or the boat might not be there when you return.

I've seen an unexpected wind pull the anchor up and send the boat off on it's own. It's just an interesting experience when there's a captain on board, but it could be a real problem if you're alone.

However it's your boat and your life, so feel free to proceed as you wish.

both the Sheriff and the US and the Canadian Border Patrol will cause a world of hurt if there's nobody on the boat
Not that there aren't good reasons not to leave a boat unattended, but what's the law that they use to inflict this world of hurt?

Not that there aren't good reasons not to leave a boat unattended, but what's the law that they use to inflict this world of hurt?

Danger to navigation, suspicion of smuggling and/or terrorism? It is on the border and in a major shipping channel.

I'm sure that it is treated the same way as a car which is stopped in the street, at the border, with no one inside.

Bob
------------------------------
A man's got to know his limitations.
Harry Callahan

Back
Top Bottom