Empty boat sinks during dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agree with all those saying you should never leave a boat unattended. Our rules are that there is always at least one buddy pair onboard, with one or both being certified to operate the boat as well as being trained in first Aid and O2 administration. We may be anchored but someone might still get blown off by a current and need a pick up (hence always carrying SMB's) or other bad stuff might happen

I wonder what all those people who leave the boat unattended would do in a diver rescue situation?

Someone would probably die.

You mean the same way as if you have a problem solo diving, are trained by PADI, dive with splitfins, dont use a bp/w or any combination of the above?

Sent fra min GT-I9300 via Tapatalk

You mean the same way as if you have a problem solo diving, are trained by PADI, dive with splitfins, dont use a bp/w or any combination of the above?

Sent fra min GT-I9300 via Tapatalk

Sadly you forgot to include in your list "If you dive with a carabiner", no matter if it is inside your pocket (even if it´s your trousers pocket left in the beach while diving).

Then it's already a sad day because both the Sheriff and the US and the Canadian Border Patrol will cause a world of hurt if there's nobody on the boat, and I can't say as I blame them.

It's a huge risk if everybody leaves the boat. There's no special reason to believe it won't just drift off into the shipping channel, be stolen or sink or catch fire or whatever while everybody is underwater.

flots.

I do not dive off my boat and leave it un-attended when diving. However it is not illegal to leave a boat in that condition. People do leave boats unattended all the time. Though most of the time it does not involve diving.

Not exactly, it's more like "You're drowning on the surface".

If there's someone on the boat, they jump in and save your butt.

If there is nobody on the boat, then nobody jumps in and your last thought is "Crap. I wish there was someone on the boat."

That is not a pretty site------ESP-----if you are the owner looking @ that.........:)

I would bet that statistics would show a very small percentage of divers dying, getting lost or injured when diving and leaving their boat unattended.

This may be a somewhat skewered number though because I would also bet that the divers doing this type of diving are more experienced….in diving and boat handling. It's a judgement call in many cases and experience helps immensely in these calls. There are conditions where I won't leave my boat without someone on board. There are conditions when I won't go out……period.

Flots is right about one thing…..if it's your boat, it's your call and you deal with the consequences. Down here, we free dive a lot….spearfishing for 5-6 hours. Hard to find someone to sit in the boat all that time. AND, with my carbon fiber long blades I can most likely swim fast enough to catch the boat if it does slip anchor. :D

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom