Nice place to stay in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey all. I know this has been discussed at length but ..

My boyfriend and I are going to Bonaire end of Sept-beg of Oct and I'm not sure where we should stay. We would like somewhere that is pretty, and maybe the tiniest bit swanky. We will be doing a lot of diving, but will want to do other things as well such as windsurf, tool around the island, sit by the pool, go to local bars and restaurants, shopping, etc. We also like to meet people... Where do you think we should stay? I like how Bamboo Bali looks, but think I want somewhere that is oceanfront. What about Den Laman? We would also consider Buddy Dine. Not sure where else... I would love some feedback.

We stayed at Bamboo Bali a few years ago, realy great place, the owners are very friendly and incredibly useful. It's one of the nicest place I've seen on the island. The only drawback is that it's not oceanfront. And it's pretty private, you probably won't meet tons of people there.

If you want nice ocean front consider renting a condo that fits, there are some really great ones and arranging a truck + diving isn't so hard (but it's easier if you've been there before). Last time we went, we had a unit with an ocean front patio + ladder to get to the ocean and dive. Perfect for a early morning dive or a relaxed night dive.

My boyfriend and I are going to Bonaire end of Sept-beg of Oct and I'm not sure where we should stay. We would like somewhere that is pretty, and maybe the tiniest bit swanky. We will be doing a lot of diving, but will want to do other things as well such as windsurf, tool around the island, sit by the pool, go to local bars and restaurants, shopping, etc. We also like to meet people... Where do you think we should stay? I like how Bamboo Bali looks, but think I want somewhere that is oceanfront. What about Den Laman? We would also consider Buddy Dine. Not sure where else... I would love some feedback.
Bonaire is all about diving. Not much swanky to be found. Not all that pretty either. If you want swanky, try Grand Cayman.

if you are actually doing a lot of diving, you really won't have time for much other activities. You can shop most of krinkydink in about 30 minutes.

Meeting divers is easy, stay at one of the dive resorts. These are really dive hotels. Just a place to sleep when you are not diving. Each resort does have a bar, but they can not really be considered a destination.

We have stayed at most of the resorts and now use Divi because we can walk to town for supper. At Sea is an excellent high end restaurant (they have a tasting menu).

If I were looking for a condo. on Bonaire, one I ran across online awhile back was called Vinibu. Here's the webpage for it. A bit south of town, in the Belnem area. It's beach front, actually has a beach, as a 3rd floor corner unit should have a good view, and at least judging from interior photo on the main page looks nice. Looks like they're available around the time you want to go. $1,450 for the 2 of, you, but:

Please note these prices exclude a 15% service charge, as well as applicable room taxes, currently $5.50 per person per night. Electric usage allowance of $15 per night.

And this does not include truck rental or dive package. But if you price at Dive Friends Bonaire or some other op.s like Buddy Dive or WannaDive, I think you'll find an unlimited shore diving package with nitrox is surprisingly cheap.

If I wanted 'extra nice' (in other words, had my wife & some family with me, since they would notice and maybe care about such things), I'd run the numbers and seriously think about it. But then, I'd be thinking about a sandy beach for non-divers, something I don't personally care that much about.

Richard.

Vinibu is about a 1/4 mile north of the Buddy dive shop at Belmar Condos. Convenient for rentals since the shop and tank storage is streetside. Diving

DiverVince here owns Vinibu.

The Dive Friends shop is a little farther north at Port Bonaire just north of the airport. There's also a Wannadive tank pickup at Windsock Beach resort - midway between Vinibu and the airport. There's really only two divesites - Windsock Beach and Bachelor's Beach between Vinibu and town, the rest is private property.

But all the good south dive sites start 2 minutes south of Belmar so Buddy's would be the most convenient for tank exchange. Plus you get to exchange tanks at Buddy's when diving north. Although Dive Friends has more locations than anyone else - 4-5 IIRC.

Vinibu is a unit at Bellevue - not exactly a hotspot for social activity IMO. Nice pool though. And even a small beach - a rarity in that area. Many of those properties are ironshore/docks/retaining walls to the waters edge. Bellevue Apartments Food is a drive back to town.

Lorenzoid:

Good points. I hope I didn't come across as implying that Buddy Dive Resort was swanky. I put it out there to establish a pretty good value for money mainstream recreational diver resort with a good package deal & some varied housing options showing package prices, in an oceanfront resort with a good house reef. My intention was that other options, perhaps more swanky in the case of Harbor Village, could then be compared against that, so divers could decide what the price tag on swank was, and whether it was worth it to them to pay it.

Nothing unique to Bonaire. Considering a dive trip to Jupiter, Florida, with some non-diving family in tow, I was weighing Jupiter Beach Resort vs. Jupiter Waterfront Inn, for a difference of maybe $500. Spent awhile on Trip Advisor reading reviews and mulling over value for money. So I'm looking at the latter, which is cheaper, but somebody else with the same info. might go the other way.

No, you didn't come across that way. I was just reminding people not to overlook that part of the OP's post. It's hard to figure out what she wants. Nowhere in her question does she ask about diving-related amenities, which is often the first thing that people on SB ask about. How's the on-site shore dive? Is there unlimited Nitrox? Gear storage? Etc. Rather, the OP says they want to "sit by the pool, go to local bars and restaurants, shopping, etc." This struck me as focusing on things for which Bonaire isn't really famous. On the other hand, she mentions windsurfing. If they are windsurfer types (whom I've found to be much like surfer types), they will love the laid-back vibe of Bonaire.

Anyway, sounds like there are indeed some nicer resorts that I have never had the fortune of visiting or speaking with people who stayed at one. I almost regret not having done more research for my honeymoon instead of just booking us a package at Buddy Dive. We loved it--slightly mildewy shower curtain and all--and it felt perfect for us at the time. But maybe "a little bit swanky" would have been just that much more suitable for the occasion. (Coincidentally, our five-year anniversary falls during an upcoming trip to Bonaire with a group of friends.)

I have a group trip to Buddy Dive in September. Includes airfare out of NYC, rate can be adjusted if you fly Out of elsewhere and get your own . includes ground transfers, hotel, ( in a 2 bedroom condo, each bedroom has its own private bathroom) daily buffet breakfast, 50% discount at Buddy restaurant, 9 boat dives, unlimited shore dives, free nitrox, rental truck per condo unit, and more....cost is $1925. Pm me if interested. Trip is Sept 20 to 27.. We will dive same day we arrive ..mandatory marine park orientation is arranged for us at arrival time, no problem.
there are no true 5 star resorts on Bonaire, Harbor village is close but not a 5 star . Buddy dive is a well organized dive resort.divers usually want a clean room, good food, ease to dive gear,sites, and that is a vacation. Buddy has always delivered for us on all counts.

I stayed at Den Lahman in January. It was very nice. Clean and comfortable. The dive shop next door was very good. It was well located. I would certainly go back there on my next trip.

Back
Top Bottom