County volunteer dive team training accident - South Dakota

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
KELOLAND.com | Training Turns Into Water Rescue At Family Park
SIOUX FALLS, SD - A Minnehaha County volunteer emergency diver is in the hospital after underwater training turned into a rescue.
Someone reported a drowning Thursday evening at Family Park, on the northwest side of Sioux Falls, just before 8 p.m. Though nobody technically drowned, the Minnehaha County Emergency Manager says it was a serious situation.
The volunteer diver, a man who is 43, is listed in stable condition and is sedated.
Eleven divers with the Minnehaha County Dive team and Sioux Falls Fire Rescue were in the middle of rescue training with dummies in the water at Family Park.
"One of them developed a, some sort of problem," Minnehaha County Emergency Manager Lynn DeYoung said.
DeYoung said the diver was underwater for about two minutes before the others found and rescued him. At this point, investigators don't know what happened or if the man was without oxygen at any time. However, the man, who was tethered to the other divers, pulled on the rope four times to signal he was in trouble.
"He also made a comment over our, we have a com system, which is a direct link from the surface to the diver, and he indicated he had some difficulty," DeYoung said.
When they brought him to the surface, he was unresponsive. The Sioux Falls Police Department is investigating and checking his equipment for any clues.
"Could've been anything wide-ranging from, as you said, a medical condition to equipment malfunction to being hung up on a stump. All of those are probabilities," DeYoung said.
DeYoung has a simple request.
"We would just ask you that you keep your thoughts in for this person as there are many having a difficult time with this," DeYoung said.
The man has been with this group for four years, and DeYoung says he's an experienced diver.
"This person is a volunteer, and it is difficult for the, excuse me, the other volunteers that are here and the staff," DeYoung said.
DeYoung isn't releasing the diver's name because he is still notifying family.
The water plays a big role in why this situation is a bit vague right now. Divers described it as pitch black and also say there is a lot of debris down there.
DeYoung did not say what type of injuries this man has or give any details on his recovery.

As a Sioux Falls (former) resident, KELO is worthless. The local paper is marginally better.

Police investigate diving incident at Family Park

They indicate he was "trapped" and the safety diver followed a line to rescue him. Sounds like their procedures and risk management prevented a fatal accident. If I remember right, Family park is a former quarry; I don't think I'd want to dive in there.

Local Media is reporting that the Diver passed away last evening.

T.C. You're from SD? I am from the Black Hills area. Lead/Deadwood to be exact. I didn't think there wwas any place to dive in SD. Nothing to see but cold dark lakes.

I am from South Dakota. Sioux Falls to be precise.

Never dove there, though. I think the Hill may have the best diving; but you'd need a drysuit. Anything else...I don't think there is anywhere to dive. Cold and dark would be accurate. Like I said; from what I remember, I don't think I'd want to dive at Family Park; but it would be good for the training these volunteers do.

Hats off to them.

And yet another tragic story!!! So sad!

I'm a native of Sioux Falls. I go to Lake Okoboji in Iowa for diving when up there in the summer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom