Is Aqualung retiring the Apeks name?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ron_dodge

Contributor
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else has heard anything similar about the Apeks going away?

I just returned from a dive trip. On one of the boat rides back to the dive shop, one of the shop owners mentioned that Aqualung is going to kill off the Apeks name in the near future.

That was news to me. My initial reaction was "surely not, Apeks is too well known of a name." But thinking back on it, US Divers was a pretty big name too. But today the only new gear I believe I've ever seen with the US Divers name on it is low cost mask/snorkel/fin sets. So crazier things have happened.

Thanks

Hi ron_dodge, I can assure you that is not the case. You are absolutely correct that Apeks is a well respected name and a name that will continue on.

US Divers changing to Aqua Lung was an entirely different situation. It was changed to Aqua Lung so that we had a consistent name around the world. Prior to that, each country had a different name e.g. Spirotechnique, Technisub, etc. It was a necessary marketing move back in 1998.

Hi ron_dodge, I can assure you that is not the case. You are absolutely correct that Apeks is a well respected name and a name that will continue on.

US Divers changing to Aqua Lung was an entirely different situation. It was changed to Aqua Lung so that we had a consistent name around the world. Prior to that, each country had a different name e.g. Spirotechnique, Technisub, etc. It was a necessary marketing move back in 1998.

Hi Tom,

Thank you for responding. It wouldn't have been the end of the world but, I was curious and figured asking wouldn't hurt. Glad to know that the Apeks tradition will continue on, I love my Apeks gear.

Thanks

thats funny some stuff still carries the old name ie micromask still says technisub right on the mask!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom