Certification at Express Watersports - Murrells Inlet South Carolina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cert1967

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Any experiences, thoughts, recommendations about Express Watersports - Murrells inlet SC - for initial certification?

and

What's the ocean diving like off the SC coast?

Thanks

SC diving tends to be flat, sandy and not always the best visibility. I've seen close to 100' once but 60' is more typical. As you move closer to shore it gets worse as the sand from the beaches is a factor. Deeper out near the gulfstream it gets better but you won't be going that deep as a new diver - those dives often start at 100' or more. The photos on the Express Watersports site are pretty accurate - except maybe too green - I remember everything as more brown due to the sediments in the water. But we were there just after a storm also.

There are ledges there - ledges are hard to describe - they're not really coral reefs but can have some on them. Check out the 1st or 7th pictures on Express's website to see examples. The vast majority of dives they do are wreck dives. Either naturally occurring or they've been put down. Some were small ships, barges, there's even some NYC subway cars at one site.

The wrecks are magnets for fish life. I don't think we saw much of anything once we moved 40-50' from one. Lots of schooling fish and occasional predators lurking near them. No sharks but we saw a few cuda. In summer it will be really warm - like 84-85 but you should still get at least a dive skin as there's jellyfish. To clear them, purge your regulator below them on ascent - we always seemed to run into them closer to the surface. It's not a huge problem though.

If you're with non-divers there's several nice waterfront restaurants in Murrells Inlet also. We stayed in Litchfield Beach in the golf villas area - pretty nice. Maybe 20mins to the heart of Myrtle Beach.

Would Beaufort/AtlanticBeach/Moorehead be better? And who would you recommend for an OP in either location?

thanks

SC diving tends to be flat, sandy and not always the best visibility. I've seen close to 100' once but 60' is more typical. As you move closer to shore it gets worse as the sand from the beaches is a factor. Deeper out near the gulfstream it gets better but you won't be going that deep as a new diver - those dives often start at 100' or more. The photos on the Express Watersports site are pretty accurate - except maybe too green - I remember everything as more brown due to the sediments in the water. But we were there just after a storm also.

There are ledges there - ledges are hard to describe - they're not really coral reefs but can have some on them. Check out the 1st or 7th pictures on Express's website to see examples. The vast majority of dives they do are wreck dives. Either naturally occurring or they've been put down. Some were small ships, barges, there's even some NYC subway cars at one site.

The wrecks are magnets for fish life. I don't think we saw much of anything once we moved 40-50' from one. Lots of schooling fish and occasional predators lurking near them. No sharks but we saw a few cuda. In summer it will be really warm - like 84-85 but you should still get at least a dive skin as there's jellyfish. To clear them, purge your regulator below them on ascent - we always seemed to run into them closer to the surface. It's not a huge problem though.

If you're with non-divers there's several nice waterfront restaurants in Murrells Inlet also. We stayed in Litchfield Beach in the golf villas area - pretty nice. Maybe 20mins to the heart of Myrtle Beach.

I don't know, I've never dove off NC.

Olympus Dive Center in Morehead City is a quality operator and my preference, but Discovery Diving in Beaufort as well as Aquatic Safaris in Wrightsville Beach are also good NC coastal alternatives

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Any experiences, thoughts, recommendations about Express Watersports - Murrells inlet SC - for initial certification?

and

What's the ocean diving like off the SC coast?

Thanks

I have lots of experience with diving in S.C. and Diversteve has a fairly accurate description of diving in Myrtle Beach. Vizability is not amazing but definitely safe for diving. All most everything we dive is artificial wrecks but we have a few natural wrecks. As a new diver you are more than likely going to have at least an hour boat ride to any dive site in seas that can range from flat to 4 to 5 feet.

I highly suggest express waterspouts out of Murrells Inlet for any diving in Myrtle Beach. They will probably have you complete the book work portion online and then see them for the pool and open water sessions. The other dive OP with a boat is Coastal Scuba. You can do your own research on their operation but for a new diver Express is the best option.
Please let me know if you have anymore questions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom