Search for four missing Divers off coast of North Carolina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you have been anywhere near the ocean on a boat with the radio on on a weekend day anywhere in FLorida, you will hear anywhere from 1-10 DSC calls. Those calls are made from radios without a MMSI number programmed, because if they were programmed, Rescue 21 would call the phone number associated with the MMSI instead of the watchstander at the the Ops Center at Sector making a Pan-Pan.

If I were a betting man, my bet would be that 90% of recreational boaters neither know nor care how their DSC works, nor do they have an active NMEA-2000 onboard.

If you have been anywhere near the ocean on a boat with the radio on on a weekend day anywhere in FLorida, you will hear anywhere from 1-10 DSC calls. Those calls are made from radios without a MMSI number programmed, because if they were programmed, Rescue 21 would call the phone number associated with the MMSI instead of the watchstander at the the Ops Center at Sector making a Pan-Pan.

If I were a betting man, my bet would be that 90% of recreational boaters neither know nor care how their DSC works, nor do they have an active NMEA-2000 onboard.
Putting it that way, you may be right. I definitely hear that regularly, just didn't associate that it was a distress activation with no number programmed.

Still, inexcusable, though. It costs nothing to get an MMSI, it's easy to program. Pretty much all working fixed mount VHFs have the capability. I'd always heard that most VHFs aren't wired to GPS, but many come with on-board GPS antennas, so the send side should at least be fixed. I shouldn't be surprised, though. Most boaters out there are not well prepared. Which is, I guess, why we hear about these stories. The rescue stories involving well equipped boaters are rather boring. I remember reading one a while back. The time from distress notification to helo locating them was something like 30 minutes or less. They had an EPIRB.

As a private boat owner and diver here in the PNW, our typical SOP is to drop a marker buoy on the selected site and then drop divers up current so they can drift to the marker buoy and descend. My wife typically captains the boat and hovers up current from the marker buoy, flies the "big ass" dive flag and protects the site from boat traffic. I usually drop first (solo) to confirm that we are on the wreck or reef and that vis and conditions are acceptable, then release a bright yellow rubber duck on a short 2ft tether with carabiner on the other end and it ascends up the marker buoy line to the surface. Once my wife sees the yellow duck on the surface she splashes any other divers up current. Also, since the duck is on a 2ft tether when it hits the surface she knows that the direction from the mooring ball to the duck is down current. We have agreed timelines for expectation to surface on or near the marker buoy. We also have timelines to agree that we are now clearly overdue and she should be searching downcurrent looking for SMB's and monitoring VHF 16 for my call. (I carry the older Nautilus Lifeline with the VHF).

So lets say that our agreed max time to surface is 60 minutes from the last divers descent and our agreed concern timeline is 70 minutes and our oh-**** timeline is 90 minutes. Assuming these are NDL dives, anytime after the 45 minute mark, she is expecting to see a DSMB on the surface near the marker buoy and signaling that we...or someone.... is at their SS. If she sees nothing by the 50 minute mark she is getting minimally concerned and starts scanning with the bino's down current from the marker looking for SMB's, mirror flashes, etc. If nothing by the 70 minute mark she abandons the marker buoy, spins up the radar and begins a search and bino scan down current. Since we normally try to dive the slack, she still would search downcurrent even if it had flipped during the dive. She can always nav the boat back to the marker buoy as it is marked on the onboard GPS...

If no joy after another 15 minutes of searching she would issue a Pan Pan call on 16 to the CG and also to any other boats nearby monitoring 16.

I should also add that we have Garmin Fantom 18HD Radar and it can pick up targets like birds and crab pot floats on the surface fairly well up to a mile....maybe 2. This makes it all the more important for a drifting group to stay together with as much buoyancy as possible and SMB's elevated as high as possible. All SMB's and DSMB's should have reflective material or tape on the tops.

Anyway, that's our basic plan. Couple other suggestions:

• All OW / offshore divers should have at least one DSMB / SMB. Two is better.
  • All should have a signal mirror with the "bullseye" sighting and know exactly how to use it. I was an Aircrew Life Support Tech in the USAF in the 70's and our training indicated that the signal mirror is one of the most effective rescue tools to have. They are small and simple and there is really no excuse to not have one.
  • All should have either a dedicated strobe or a light with a strobe function
  • A waterproofed PLB is a great option
  • Nautilus Lifeline with the VHF and AIS is a great option
  • If you have ditchable weight as part of your system and find yourself adrift on the surface for hours....or more......, if you can attach some weight to the bottom of your SMB, it'll keep it upright in case you become too fatigued to hold it upright.
  • Never ditch tanks in a lost adrift scenario... you may need to descend to avoid an inattentive boat under power.
  • Use your DSMB line to keep the group together....or carry 20 or 30 ft of paracord in pocket.
Regarding the strobe question, I carry a Big Blue AL1300 that is almost blindingly bright. I keep a bolt snap for d-ring attachment on it as well as a tuna clip for the option to attach to my anchor line.... Pic below just pre-splash on my recent 68th B-Day lingcod dive just off Possession Point. You can see my strobe, DSMB and SMB. Everything else is stored in BC or drysuit thigh pockets...

After reading this thread I'm also thinking about whether or not a vacuum sealed single shot marine flare or two would survive pressure. They are small....about the size of a magic marker.... claimed to be waterproof and would easily fit in a pocket. I'll try it and report back.

Sorry about the long post but this subject is near and dear to my heart. When I was 8 years old, our family boat capsized and sunk just outside the SF Golden Gate and four of us spent 3 hours adrift in the pea soup fog in 52F water with only 1 life jacket, a cooler and one boat fender.... until we were miraculously rescued by a commercial crab boat. Pure luck......and I don't think we would have lasted even another hour.

I guess my main takeaway from all this is to HAVE A PLAN........Any Plan !

khMN15G.jpg

Gpu3Pbg.jpg

SPQLSTD.jpg

X52kP5X.jpg

nUufaxS.jpg

I beleive the water conditions were 4' swell, the surface water temperature was dropping rapidly. 4 lives depending on your ability to swim only 300 yards when you have that type of Navy background, I would think would be doable. I would be willing to bet my life that I could do it.
Yes drop gear = hold my gear, I will be back with the boat.

4' swell you may not see the boat. Swimming only 300' against the current may be doable, swimming in the right direction: not so much.

4' swell you may not see the boat. Swimming only 300' against the current may be doable, swimming in the right direction: not so much.
I understand what you are saying. You only need a glimpse of the boat to know the direct you need to travel. How would their lead diver know the swim was 300 yds away if he could not see the boat due to the swell height?

I understand what you are saying. You only need a glimpse of the boat to know the direct you need to travel. How would their lead diver know the swim was 300 yds away if he could not see the boat due to the swell height?

Strictly speaking, if you get the glimpse and take the compass bearing, then you can swim -- but yeah, I've no idea what the place is like, wasn't there, YMMV, and all that, -- but if all you know is there's shore 60 miles West, you're better off staying together and hoping to be rescued.

I understand everything, except why 2 SMBs?
Maybe one orange one yellow for communication purposes, or 2 just because he really, really want to be sure he has at least 1.

Strictly speaking, if you get the glimpse and take the compass bearing, then you can swim -- but yeah, I've no idea what the place is like, wasn't there, YMMV, and all that, -- but if all you know is there's shore 60 miles West, you're better off staying together and hoping to be rescued.
This was covered in the article linked by @Shot a man in Reno...

"Everything still going well as Williams ascended 85 feet to the surface. When he breached the surface, Williams says he heard Ben and Luke yelling from about 150 yards away and noticed the two had their emergency dive signal flags up.

Williams says the boat wasn’t incredibly far away, but the loud engines likely prevented the captain and his sons from hearing them calling for the boat.

“I blew my whistle. I put up my flag, waving it back and forth. I can see my kids going up and down the ladder. They’re all just looking in the opposite direction. They weren’t looking where we were at, they were looking where they figured we would come up,” Williams said.

Williams explained it’s not out of the ordinary to spend 10 to 15 minutes working to get the boat’s attention after a dive. However, 15 minutes turned into 20 minutes and 20 minutes turned into 30 minutes.

Despite their best efforts to swim towards the boat, they were only getting further from it.

The group came up with a plan. Luke and Evan removed all of their dive gear except for their wet suit and fins. Ben and Dan held onto the gear while Luke and Evan tried swimming toward the boat. After about an hour, they decided that plan was futile and huddled back together. At this point, they had been steadily drifting away from the boat for about two hours.

“At this point, we had decided that this was maybe going to maybe be a dire situation,” Williams said.

As they continued to drift away, they remained calm with hopes of the captain calling the Coast Guard. They decided to keep their eyes on the boat, stay as close as they could, and wait for the Coast Guard."

I call poetic license on that story: if you come up close enough to see "they are looking the other way", the current is strong enough you swim to the boat in fins "and only getting farther away", and you've been drifting in that for "20 minutes turned into 30"... that does not add up. Or they all are really really really bad at swimming.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom