Giant Stride Entry causes freeflow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaFanFL

Registered
Reaction score
The impact of the giant stride entry sometime causes my Octo to freeflow. Once I turn the mouthpiece down, the freeflow stops. I mount the Octo with the mouthpiece up. I'm wonder if it's the root cause. Any tips to avoid the freeflow on entry?

What model is your octo? And could you post a picture of your octo as it sits in its holder/mount/necklace?

Almost any second stage with the mouthpiece facing up will freeflow upon entry in the water. The best course of action is to mount it with the mouthpiece facing down.

I have an Oceanic Alpha 8 Octopus. If you look at the pic, the mouthpiece is facing up. I guess the purge button hits the water upon impact. Any suggestion on an Octo holder that can hold the Octo with the mouthpiece facing down.

IMG_20140903_211105848.jpg

it has nothing to do with the impact of the giant stride but everything to do with the physics of how the regulator is design. it wouldn't matter if you jumped off of a 10 ft deck, or walked into the water, it would freeflow. Only solution is to have the mouthpiece turned down. Best solution is to go to a bungeed octo on a short hose, but make sure you have the mouthpiece turned down either way and you'll be fine.

Dr Dive sez: Have your gear tech tune it down a bit. We see too many folks that have their octo tuned like a finely tweaked first stage, and it just explodes when they hit the water. The octo is an emergency back up, meant to get you to safety in an emergency. It shouldn't breath like your primary. OK, it's a little harder to breath for the time it takes to get back safely, but it also sits quietly for the other 99% of the dives you do.

Reactions: BRT
wouldn't matter if it was detuned to where it only barely blew bubbles when you hit the purge button and could barely breathe on it, the negative pressure caused by going in mouthpiece up will cause it to freeflow everytime. Maybe a little less violently, but still freeflow. Only solution is to turn the mouthpiece down

Diaphragm regulators are designed to flow when submerged with the mouthpiece turned up. It's how they are engineered. Adjusting the spring tension on the diaphragm can make the regs less sensitive.

Turn the mouthpiece facing downwards before you jump in.

How A Balanced Scuba Diving Regulator Works

Back
Top Bottom