C - card question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i called PADI a few months ago and they couldn't find me in the system, I wonder if getting my cert. in the Philippines in '83 might be a problem. I'll most likely call them again and see if they'll let me scan my cards, email the scans to them to enter them in the system.

I'm getting Enriched Air Cert. This week, will that get me a new cert. in the system?

I have gone diving several times when only showing my Nitrox card, so that's not a bad idea. Having the Nitrox card implies that you also have OW. I think on the last dive the lady behind the counter would have preferred to see my AOW or Rescue card, because the trip required AOW, but she just hesitated a little and decided the Nitrox card was enough.

Personally, I wouldn't rely entirely on the electronic card. My phone battery always dies at the worst times. If you get the plastic card and show that most of the time, AND take a photo of both sides of each card on your phone, AND the dive shop can look it up online, you have all of your bases covered.

A Nitrox card should do the job, since it implies you have at least OW. Though I have heard anecdotes about clueless people at shops that can't figure that out. And if someone is a stickler for you having AOW for some reason, which does happen, a Nitrox card won't prove that. (You used to be able to get combo cards from PADI, for example AOW+Nitrox, but last I checked they weren't offering those anymore.)

You might consider taking Rescue sometime, since under PADI that includes AOW - and it's a good course. But I would still pursue scanning the cards and getting in their database, it's not like it's the first time they've heard this.

Certainly take pictures of your cards. Then scan them. Back them up in like eleventeen different places. Then contact PADI about getting yourself put into the system. A Nitrox card won't always work for the dives you want to do, so think of at least purchasing a replacement AOW card if that's what they need to get you put into the system. AOW is sometimes the ticket onto cooler dive boats, and worth having.

One note about the older PADI certs. There was a fire or some other disaster at PADI HQ in the early 80's (so I'm told) and most of the records were destroyed. My OW cert dates to '79 and I wasn't in their database. After taking AOW a few years ago, all is well for me.
OK, this makes sense as to why they couldn't find me last time. This also makes it important for me to not lose the C-cards I have!

Thanks for all the responses everyone, a lot of good suggestions here. I'll most definitely scan and send to PADI my cards and ask about an updated AOW card. I'll update the thread after I talk to the folks at PADI.

Thanks again,
Bill

Be prepared for them to charge you at least $40.

OT: I drive a 993 as well!

OK, this makes sense as to why they couldn't find me last time. This also makes it important for me to not lose the C-cards I have!

Thanks for all the responses everyone, a lot of good suggestions here. I'll most definitely scan and send to PADI my cards and ask about an updated AOW card. I'll update the thread after I talk to the folks at PADI.

Thanks again,
Bill

Yeah, PADI uses special cards that have a battery embedded and a bluetooth transmitter. They also have to be shipped in special climate-controlled vans instead of a standard envelope. That's why the replacement cards, which appear to be normal plastic, cost $40.

And if you go the e-card route, it's 40 bucks per ecard / certification. As a programmer / DBA I can assure you that is pretty much free money for PADI. it's a small thing in the big scheme of life, but it strikes me as being pretty petty.

Steve

sure there's not much incremental cost to them, but as a programmer/DBA you probably expect to get paid for developing and maintaining a system. Has to come from someplace.

:cool3::cool3:

You do know the Arena Red ones are the fastest!

BTW, I talked to PADI, if I scan and email them the images of my cards they will put me back in the database. Only thing is they use a different numbering system than I have on my card so they will be issuing me a new student/certification number.

:cool3::cool3:

You do know the Arena Red ones are the fastest!

BTW, I talked to PADI, if I scan and email them the images of my cards they will put me back in the database. Only thing is they use a different numbering system than I have on my card so they will be issuing me a new student/certification number.

Funny, I was always told the arctic silver ones were fastest! Lol!

Glad they are sorting your cards out!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom