What was your favourite trip? But more importantly: Where else have you been?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My Brother and I spent two weeks aboard a live aboard at Socorro Island in Mexico and I would say it is the best warm water diving I have ever done And as far as Cold water diving Beg Rock at San Nickolas Island in So Cal

I have never had what I consider a "bad" dive trip.

My favorite was probably one of the old Nekton liveaboards in the Caymans.
Next up was the two Atlantis resorts in the Philippines.

My favorite trip? Three months backpacking and diving around the Pacific (Hong Kong-Thailand-Malaysia-Australia-New Zealand-Fiji-Cook Islands-Tahiti). I had just been fired from a "dream job" (for reporting three board members who tried to circumvent a decision made by the entire board) and hadn't had a real vacation in 5 years. I got in some great diving, lost about 20 pounds and dove like crazy at home when I returned.

Without out a doubt my favorite trip was the Cayman Aggressor. It's the last trip I did. I can hardly wait to determine where my next trip will be so I can have a new favorite.:D

I would consider my most recent diving holiday to Bali (land based) and Komodo (liveaboard) as perhaps the best dive trip to date.

The other places that I have been to are:

- Great Barrier Reef - Liveaboard
- Phuket (twice) - Liveaboard & land based
- Bermuda (Liveaboard - no longer operational)
- Red Sea (Northern Wrecks & Reefs) - Liveaboard
- Red Sea (Elphinstone,, Daedalus & the Brothers) - Liveaboard
- Red Sea (Rocky, St Johns, Zabargad & Fury Shoals) - Liveaboard
- Maldives (twice) - Liveaboard
- Malta & Gozo - Land based
- Cozumel (twice) - Land based
- Philippines (Borocay, Coron Bay & Apo Reef) - Liveaboard
- Turks & Caicos - Liveaboard
- Belize - Liveaboard
- Sipadan - Liveaboard
- Truk Lagoon - Land based and Liveaboard
- Fiji - Liveaboard
- Cayman Islands - Liveaboard & land based
- Bali & Komodo - Land based and Liveaboard

To come:

Raja Ampat - Liveaboard (November 2014)
Socorro - Liveaboard (May 2015)
Bonaire - Land based (May 2015)
Bali - Land Based (September 2015)
Wakatobi - Liveaboard & land based (October 2015)
Bay Islands - Land based (April 2016)

That's it. I'll retire from diving after the Bay islands trip.

The one I'm still heading home from

Bonaire - been there 9 times, the first few times were great 20 years ago. My last time there 5 years ago was just that, my last time. The pollution, over development, degradation of the reef plus the expense of getting there takes it off my list.

Cozumel - not a favorite.

Saba - I honestly don't know why people go there to dive. I was there on a live-aboard and Saba is on the top of my least favorite places that I have been.

Dominica - loved the diving on Dominica. Although fairly limited in dive sites, the reef systems were some of the healthiest that I have seen in the Carib. It is on the expensive side both to stay and to get to but the diving is pretty good.

Nevis - not even a dive location in my opinion, just some place to get wet

St Kitts - ranks with Nevis

Roatan - Similar to Bonaire, 20 years ago nice diving. Not great but nice. last trip was 4 years ago. would not go back.

Utila - I like the diving in Utila. I have been there many times. Probably 200+ dives. I know the dive sites as well as or better then most of the dive masters, that being said I can tell the boat captain which dives I do not want to do. There are some dive sites there that are not worth doing and there are some that are very very good.

Bimini - what? why? got wet..

Cay Sal Banks on a live aboard. Decent but was surprised at the poor conditions of the reefs considering how remote this place is.

Channel Islands CA. could be great I suppose but I hate cold water diving so not a fair assessment.

Cayman brac - would not go back

Little Cayman - way over rated in my opinion. Have done better diving on Utila

PNG - very good diving. very difficult to get too. Very expensive for what you get. The Philippines is much better in my opinion.

Ticao Island, Philippines - awesome!!! . Incredible corals both hard and soft. Amazing macro, some big stuff. Mantas if your lucky. Will go back some day.

Malapascua Island, Philippines - way over rated. The only thing that makes Malapascua worth doing is the Thresher sharks and in reality the effort and the expense to get there do not make it worth while.

Anilao, Philippines - Love diving here. Great macro, lots of critters. Some really good coral dives.

Kauai - great sharky dives, lots of turtles. Not much else. Would dive there again if I was going to Kauai for a vacation but would not go there just to dive.

Lembeh Straights, Indonesia - love it. going back soon.

I pretty much only do the Caribbean now when I have a short trip and am wanting to get together with friends. From where I live it is more cost effective to go to Asia and the diving is exponentially better.

<< I'll retire from diving after the Bay islands trip.>> after the list above it, I'm thinking this will be rather anti-climatic. Doesn't mean it won't be fun,,,

I wrote my original answer here before two trips to the Philippines. I think they are now my favorite place -- we went to Sabang Bay and Dumaguete. Lovely people, fabulous resorts, great food, and superb diving. I have never seen corals anywhere like the ones on Apo Island. Hard corals, soft corals, sponges, crinoids, all in a riot of color that is just mesmerizing. A good variety of fish with some weird and wonderfuls (I'm very fond of Pegasus sea months and Flying Gurnards). Our February trip was LOADED with nudibranchs, which keeps me very well amused. Warm water, generally good visibility, and easy diving. What's not to like? We're playing around with planning trip #3 already.

Back
Top Bottom