What was your favourite trip? But more importantly: Where else have you been?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a lot of people say hawaii sucks? but watching videos compared to cozumel it looks like it has interesting topography with the lava tubes, etc.. and what it lacks in colorful coral it seems to make up for in marine life.. manta's, dolphins, sharks, monk seals, turtles galore, schools of fish, etc.. so are all the people dissing hawaii just coral fanatics? :) or are the videos deceiving? because other than a couple of eagle rays, sleepy nurse sharks and a lot of eels and lobsters, the marine life in cozumel wasn't anything to write home

Cozumel had consistent above average diving. It doesn't have knock your socks of diving. It's about the exceptional visibility, the better than average marine life and way above average reef conditions with soft and hard coral and most importantly COST and EASE of getting there. The Caribbean is cheaper (it's Mexico) and easier to get to for more of the population.

Hawaii's interesting in the fact that such a large percentage of it's marine life is only found in Hawaii, and there are unique signature dives like the Kona manta night dive, the black water dives, molokini crater etc.. that are known internationally, I can't think of any dives in Cozumel that are well known like those in Hawaii. Cozumel has turtles, but DAMN, does hawaii have turtles! Hawaii has whales and other big pelagics that you just are never going to see in Cozumel.

If you make Cozumel harder to get to, increase the prices... you would see the popularity decline quickly.

But I think for a lot of people they think of Hawaii diving to be a pretty barren lava like dead landscape due to the lack of hard and soft coral and that taints it for a lot of people.

Never been diving in the Pacific. It has not been a high priority because I don't know enough about the fish there. I am barely knowledgeable about Caribbean fish, as it is, and still have a ton to learn. I would like to do a Pacific liveaboard trip that enables seeing the big stuff (sharks, mantas) not so readily seen in the Caribbean.

That said, my favorites to date were a couple of beautiful locations done via liveaboard in Belize. Part of their national park system. More for the single site variety (shallow sand/eel grass one side; drop to the base of a reef at 60 ft that then slopes upward to 20-30 ft and over the top to a massive wall dropping away to deep blue depth. Awesome! Plus we saw a lot of new fish species.

We go multiple times per year to Bonaire. Five weeks last year; 3 already this year. I consider a dive to be 'great' if I find a species I see rarely. It is 'awesome' if I see a species I have not previously seen; it is 'spectacular' if I find a fish that is seldom or not previously seen on the island, even if I have previously seen it somewhere else. Fortunately for us, we have had a very large percentage of our dives fall into one of those three categories. Most important, every dive is different, even those dived over and over again on the same reef, in our case, Bari Reef. We are probably only half way through the list of about 320+ fish species seen on Bari Reef. There is a long, long way to go before things get boring. Moreover, when I have seen everything there is to see in the manner of fish life on Bonaire, I can shift to the countless invertebrates living in the sand and on the reef. Boring? Hardly. I do not need to be spoon-fed on a dive and do not require a fish to be larger than 2 cm for it to be interesting.

Most important is the fact that my tastes do not need to be your tastes. See my profile for other places I have dived.

Never been diving in the Pacific. It has not been a high priority because I don't know enough about the fish there. I am barely knowledgeable about Caribbean fish, as it is, and still have a ton to learn. I would like to do a Pacific liveaboard trip that enables seeing the big stuff (sharks, mantas) not so readily seen in the Caribbean.

That said, my favorites to date were a couple of beautiful locations done via liveaboard in Belize. Part of their national park system. More for the single site variety (shallow sand/eel grass one side; drop to the base of a reef at 60 ft that then slopes upward to 20-30 ft and over the top to a massive wall dropping away to deep blue depth. Awesome! Plus we saw a lot of new fish species.

We go multiple times per year to Bonaire. Five weeks last year; 3 already this year. I consider a dive to be 'great' if I find a species I see rarely. It is 'awesome' if I see a species I have not previously seen; it is 'spectacular' if I find a fish that is seldom or not previously seen on the island, even if I have previously seen it somewhere else. Fortunately for us, we have had a very large percentage of our dives fall into one of those three categories. Most important, every dive is different, even those dived over and over again on the same reef, in our case, Bari Reef. We are probably only half way through the list of about 320+ fish species seen on Bari Reef. There is a long, long way to go before things get boring. Moreover, when I have seen everything there is to see in the manner of fish life on Bonaire, I can shift to the countless invertebrates living in the sand and on the reef. Boring? Hardly. I do not need to be spoon-fed on a dive and do not require a fish to be larger than 2 cm for it to be interesting.

Most important is the fact that my tastes do not need to be your tastes. See my profile for other places I have dived.

For me your kind of diving would be dreadfully boring to me. Identifying some minor species variation of little fish or critters does not interest me whatsoever. What you enjoy is the equivalent of bird watching to me :) Plenty of people enjoy bird watching, I'm not wired to enjoy that sort of thing. Some people get bored of coral reefs and swim throughs and love the variety and history of wrecks. Some people think any dive without a reef is a wasted dive. Some people think cenotes are amazing, some people think they're a wasted dive that could have been spent on a reef for the 18th time that week. Some people are happy doing the same thing over and over and over, for others variety is the spice of life. Some people are visibility snobs and want to dive in an aquarium, some are happy to dive in pea soup. Some people want to dive 5 times a day for as long as humanly possible, some people are happy after two dives and ready to do something else with their day. Some won't dive in water that's colder than 80 degrees, some will just put a thicker wetsuit on or even a drysuit if it means going somewhere interesting and unique.

Different strokes for different folks! That's why just knowing what someones favourite dive trip was is fairly useless without knowing where else they've been and it's also helpful to know what aspects of diving they enjoy since not everyone has the same interests.

I like this thread. Its fun to hear about different dive locales. Here is my very limited dive CV. As you can see my experience is very limited. Its in order of preference (sort of).

Roatan (36 dives): I love the color and the macro life (nudibranchs to seahorses and beyond). Plus the diving is so easy....

Big Island (15 dives): Great Fish life and topography. Love the diversity of Kona sites vs Kohala sites. Diving with dolphins. Spotted my first (and only to date) Tiger Shark. A plethora of pom pom crabs which are (IMHO) the funniest little guys ever.

Maui & Lanai (12 dives) Lanai dives are some of my favorites. Some good fish, but mostly just the way the light plays off the topography. Beautiful. Maui has the best shore diving in my opinion. Easy entry and exit. Lots to see at Makena Landing, Five Graves, and Ulua,...I could dive them over and over.

Kauai (4 dives) Tunnels was fun. Lots of Octopus. I'm told that once I dive Niihau this will move up my list. Something to look forward to.

Mayan Riviera (6 dives): Quite a few turtles and and really friendly divers. If I went back, I'd probably dive the Cenotes instead of the reef.

Puerta Vallarta (4 dives): Listening to the whale song underwater was the highlight of this trip. Vis wasn't so great, but still some good fish life out at Los Arcos.

Honestly, I'm still so in love with getting under the water...its rare for me to be anything less than thrilled. Plus with limited funds and time, I prefer doing good diving more often as opposed to the *best diving* less often. That is probably why I haven't traveled past HI in the pacific yet. Most of the dives i do probably wouldn't blow an experienced divers mind, but I feel like there is always a little bit of magic if I take the time to look for it. A Manta doing donuts around us at Makena landing, coming upon a Venus Girdle during a snorkel on a SI, the pregnant seahorse in Roatan, a Remora attaching itself to my bare leg for the duration of a 55 minute dive, looking out into the blue and seeing three spotted eagle rays. Just looking at the sunlight filtering down on a shallow coral garden; most of the world will never see that. Its all pretty awesome.

Hello, My favorite trip is Kerala in India. It is one of the most beautiful places to visit.

This is fascinating. I never would have thought to dive Kerala. I'm not sure why. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
To the OP, don't be surprised to find your taste changing the longer you dive. Most newer divers want the clear viz large critters experience. It is only later as their diving experience improves that they start to see the fascination in reef life, little critters, behaviour and much more willing to dive in lesser viz for more wonderful encounters.

Very cool thread. I have listed where I have been in the order of preference (favourite destination first). Factors that influence me first and foremost is the quality of diving, then accommodations + food, then how easy is it to get there, then price.

1) Galapagos. What can you say? Hammerheads, silkys, galapagos sharks, schools of eagle + cow rays, sea lions and oh yes, Whale Sharks! I was there in 2012 on the Humboldt Explorer and will be returning on the Sky this July!

2) Browning Pass, BC. Cold, dark, challenging diving, but the abundance of life is amazing. Stellar sea lions, wolf eels, invertebrates galore, whales! Not easy to get to from Toronto. Need to fly to Vancouver or Victoria then a 5++ hour drive north to Port Hardy but well worth it! Returning this April for my 3rd trip (at God's Pocket)!

3) Cozumel. Consistently good diving. Easy to get to from Toronto. I love drift diving. The cenotes on the mainland are amazing! Very reasonable cost. Been there 3 times and will go back.

4) Grand Cayman. Very easy to get to from Toronto. Good diving, I would say just below Cozumel in terms of interesting sites, life and topography. Stayed at Sunset House. Simple place but clean and comfortable. Decent Indian food at MyBar. All the diving you want! Nice boats and all the DMs were great. One of the pricier islands but I will go back.

5) Roatan, Honduras. Stayed at Barefoot Cay. Fantastic place with great service. The DMs were amazing. A bit challenging to get to compared to other destinations with similar diving and not cheap. Highlight was going to 2000ft in Karl Stanley's submarine (not cheap but you got to do it once). Finished the trip off in the rainforest on the mainland (at Pico Bonito) which was beautiful. Would go back but not just for the diving but to experience the nature reserves on the mainland.

6) Belize, Caye Caulker. Really cool little island. Great vibe. Dove with Belize Diving Services and they were great. Not the easiest place to get to. Need to fly into Belize City then a small plane to CC. Diving also not cheap, particularly if you want to do the Blue Hole (which is not worth it) and some of the best sites are a long boat ride from CC.

7) Dominica. Stayed at Fort Young in Roseau and dove with the onsite dive shop. Decent place but Roseau was not so great. Food wasn't great and options for places to eat in Roseau were limited. Not the easiest place to get to. The island is beautiful and the hiking and nature trails are amazing. The diving is also different compared to Coz, Grand Cayman and other Caribbean destinations I have been to. Current was non-existent, less soft corals but saw my first frog fish which was very cool. I might return for the island nature + diving but not just diving alone.

8) Puerto Vallarta. Did two days of diving with Vallarta Adventures while staying at Verana near Yelapa. I love PV and Verana, but the diving there is not great. Vallarta Adventures is also the worst operation to dive with... Diving is just an add-on to their core service which is getting everyone on the boat as drunk as possible. The DM kept hitting on my girlfriend and the boat was full of rude, belligerent people. PV is wonderful but just not a place to go diving...

9) Tobermory. Apparently the wreck diving capital of the world. Fresh water, cold (must use drysuit). Great wrecks but as wreck diving is not really my thing, I probably won't dive there again.

Planned trips:

1) Back to Browing Pass in April
2) Back to Galapagos in late July
3) Turks and Caicos (Grand Turk) in Dec/Jan

2015, 2016 will be all about diving Asia. Komodo and Lembeh summer 2015, Raja Ampat or Malaysia winter 2015... Sipadan, Similan Island 2016

Last edited:
My favorites in order:

Galapagos
Raja Ampat Indonesia
Maldives
Belize Liveaboard
Turks & Caicos Liveaboard
Cozumel
Roatan Cocoview
Little Cayman
Curacao

Galapagos would have to top my list as well. Whale sharks, enough said. On the first trip, we had excellent conditions in the central islands as well. Lousy conditions in the central islands on the second trip, but we did much more whale shark diving because it was a 10-day boat. When you're not seeing whale sharks, all the hammerheads and Galapagos sharks are too shabby either. Not sure if they still mix in land tours under the latest park regs, but that's what made these liveaboards extra special for me.

Cocos. The diving was definitely spectacular and we had a really good group aboard. A former Nekton captain who now works on the Truk Odyssey, one of Sylvia Earle's daughters, a curator of the Maui Ocean Center, harmonicas, guitars, and beer on tap on the sun deck. Good stories, good music, great diving.

Bali-Komodo. This was my first trip to amazing Indonesia, a Komodo liveaboard round trip from Bali. Some sites were disappointing, but most were amazing. Black sand night dive somewhere in the middle of nowhere where cows were walking on the shore. Cannibal Rock again and again (wow!). Komodo dragons. Downside was almost empty boat (8 pax) and my brand new dive lights flooded early in the trip, but it was great overall and land touring on Bali an added bonus (volcano, sea temple, monkey forest, et al.)

Tuamotus. The short-lived Tahiti Aggressor, when it left out of Rangiroa, took us to some amazing sites. Strongest currents I've ever experienced. The most sharks I've ever seen on one dive. Dolphins, mantas. A couple of decent dives off Moorea on the same trip, one where I was in the middle of a local chum fest for blacktips.

Palau. I love Palau, probably my favorite dive destination. Not first on my list because the others had something extra and because my two Palau trips were as much as than play. First time was a "fam" trip with a two-hour seminar each morning and touring of various hotels, dive shops, and liveaboards in the afternoons, diving in the middle, partying at night. Very busy. Short but sweet. Second trip was a photo class (Mike & Mike on the Aggressor, plus Jim Church's ashes) so more seminars. I'd love to make a third trip with no other agenda besides diving. Beautiful rock islands. Jellyfish lake. Chandelier Cave. Mandarinfish Lake. Crazy diving at Peleliu. WWII history. No malaria. I love Palau.

Yap. Spent a week at the Manta Ray Bay resort when they still had waterbeds in the rooms and the restaurant on the top floor. Dove most days with Bill and Patricia. Hot tea and fresh baked banana bread on the SI. Chewing betel nut underwater and spitting through the reg. Topless women. The most exotic place I've ever visited.

Wakatobi. I liked some sites way more than others and wish they didn't adhere to such a strict schedule (damn Swiss!) and wish the A/C was a little better in our bungalow, but otherwise this was the apex of all dive resorts. Incredibly spacious dive boats. Amazing camera service. Actually, all service was amazing there. And the food!

Thailand/Burma. I wish the diving had been better so this trip could have ranked higher. It was my first visit to Thailand and we had excellent diving on the way up to Burma, but the Burma Banks were disappointing - no sharks. And the most depressing dive I've ever done, a post-dynamite night dive: dead or dying fish everywhere. And then the tsunami hit, cutting our trip short and I ended up driving to Bangkok from Phuket, something I'd wish on no one. Still, we survived and have some incredible memories.

Truk. A week on the Odyssey diving tropical wrecks. My longest dive to date (100 min) and at the time my deepest (167'). History in your face, yet surrounded by Indo-Pacific marine life. Kind of grungy on the island, the best reason as any to do a liveaboard instead, and the Odyssey was an excellent platform.

San Benitos Islands. Not even sure if they run this trip anymore since the Guadalupe white shark diving seems to have all the boats chartered full time now, but these are the islands closer to shore than Guadalupe and without the white sharks. Fine with me, I'd rather not "dive" a week in a cage thank you. It was billed as the Channel Islands before civilization and that's what it felt like. Only a tiny lobster village on one island, abandoned for the summer season. Guadalupe fur seals among other pinnipeds barking at us on surface intervals and a really annoying bull sea lion that followed the boat around and would hang around the ladder, making it a bit unnerving to climb out of the water. But amazing diving. Clear water, much warmer than the Channel Islands (around 75 F), but all the usual kelp critters. The first and only guitarfish I've seen in the wild. Fishing on the way down that yielded lots of albacore, yellowtail, and a blue fin that I sampled one night on the grill before the chef turned the rest into sashimi.

Cuba: I wish I could remember more of the diving, but daiquiris and beers were so cheap... Did some rough water diving in Havana Bay, where we were at first turned back because we hadn't brought our passports. Bay of Pigs shore diving was my favorite. Deep wall. Then lobster lunch at a little place with a cenote in the back complete with U.S. unexploded ordinance at 90'. Plenty of memories from that trip, though not as much of the diving.

Bonaire: four trips to date. My favorite Caribbean island, just wish it were easier to get to. J broke her ankle on the last trip so it was less fun and much less diving, but we still managed to have a good time. Met Ned DeLoach at Cactus Blue and Moogie included J and her ankle in a song he sang on his B day.

Cozumel: My lastest go-to place, have had lots of fun trips ranging from large dive shop group, to ferrying over for the day from Cancun/PDC, to a "long weekend" Carnival with the late Bob Ling, to my last two trips I did all by my lonesome and still managed to have fun. Great diving, gets better ever post-Wilma year, and even better now that I found Jeremy and his excellent dive op, Living Underwater.

Local trips: I used to like weekend liveaboards when I used to like cold water diving. Cortez Banks on the Horizon was probably my favorite, especially because I got certified out there, but plenty of great dives at San Clemente, Santa Barbara, and of course Catalina. Farnsworth Banks is very impressive. And I did an oil rig trip once that was mind blowing.

Other notables, good and bad:

Grand Cayman. Lots of good dives there, shore and boat, but I wish the diving were even better. Did a tech class at Cobalt Coast and that was a lot of fun as well as hard work.

Roatan: Resort DM puffed up a puffer, hadn't seen that since the couple of dives I did in Zihuatenejo when I first certified, guess political correctness hadn't hit there yet. Amazing shark dive. They fed Caribbean reef sharks, then let us swim around with them close enough to touch.

Kona: Manta night dive, so amazing that J insisted we do it again the next night.

Maui: I wish Amy still worked at Ed Robinson's. She was my favorite DM before I met Jeremy from Living Underwater in Cozumel. Back wall.

Kauai: Not as impressed with the dives there, except for one we did with Linda from Bubbles Below where she basically covered several turtle-infested sites, knowing the reef like the back of her hand.

Turks & Caicos. Another half-empty liveaboard, but a fun group on the Aggressor and great crew. Diving was very good, lots of sharks. Brand new video lights were dead on arrival so that was a bummer.

La Paz. First dive trip ever besides weekend boats out of SoCal. Stayed far from town, dove with large dive shop group on super slow boats, would take 1.5-3 hours each way to dive sites and the head would usually clog up after lunch. Traveled there after a hurricane had warmed up the water and caused a plankton bloom so viz was far, far from optimal. No hammerheads spotted at El Bajo. Maid would let 1,000,000 flies into our room when she cleaned each day. But we still had fun.

Florida. I really liked Boynton diving. Spiegel Grove was fun. Key Largo reefs? Ugh. I've heard the diving off Key West ain't so good, but I recently stopped there for my first time on a cruise and had a blast.

Belize. A week on the defunct Nekton Pilot. The atolls were beautiful, but the boat barely moved so it seems as if we were doing the same site all day every day. Then again, I found some of the same monotony at Wakatobi. Also did a day of diving off Ambergris Caye while staying there with friends, the rest of the days were blown out. Won't comment on that day (it sucked!) because I've heard it can get better and I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. Blue Hole is still on my bucket list, but it make take a while to get there.

Cabo Pulmo. Drove a couple of hours to get there only to get on a boat with a trainee DM who didn't know the reef at all. Then, for whatever lame reason, they had us do the same exact site for our second dive. Saw the hairiest girl I've ever seen (said trainee DM) so that at least was cool. Destroyed the rental car on the ride back.

Los Cabos. I liked the diving around El Arco - sort of interesting where the Sea meets the Pacific. The "corridor" diving wasn't as great. We recently did another 3 dives in CSL off a cruise ship and it was still a good time.

Puerto Vallarta. Two dives off a cruise. Kind of a pain since the dive shop was located on a pedestrian only drag so I had to carry two sets of dive gear for four blocks. Then, after renting some 7 mil shorties (cold water!), we had to lug everything to a panga on the beach which took us out to the moored dive boat. Diving was better than I had expected. Not as cold as I had feared and it was so murky that it was practically dark at 30', so dark that all sorts of morays were free swimming everywhere. Lots of nudis too. Really wish I had brought a camera to shoot macro.

Puerto Rico. Tried Fajardo (lousy) and Humacao (a little better) and drove to the other side of the island one day to try Guanica. After a 3 hour drive to get there, we only did one dive because the DM thought it too windy to risk another. Even longer drive back when I tried driving La Ruta Panoramica and we had a blow out. Pulled over on a soft shoulder and the wheel promptly sank into the ground. Started to freak out when the only other soul around was a old woman who, while we were watching, grabbed a chicken and wrung its neck. Started to hear Deliverance banjos playing in my head, but with a hispanic lilt. Fortunately the old lady turned out to be friendly. As soon as she was done killing her chicken, she got some of the menfolk to help us. They managed to get a board under the car and jack it up, even changed the tire for me, and refused my cash offerings. Not at all impressed with the diving, but the island was a fun visit.

Cancun. Tried a couple of dives, not impressed. Almost the same as diving off Ft. Lauderdale, except the water was really cold for some reason (especially odd in September!).

Puerto Morelos. Did a wreck dive that ended up being an exhausting swim back to the line in current, blew off the second dive because I didn't like the DM and wasn't having much fun.

Nice list and summary Mossman.

I have more places on my to do list, including several you mentioned.

I've been to many places I didn't bother to list. Not that they were horrible, but more along the line of I have no urge to return for a dedicated dive trip.

But I think for a lot of people they think of Hawaii diving to be a pretty barren lava like dead landscape due to the lack of hard and soft coral and that taints it for a lot of people.
Actually Hawaii has 70 species of hard corals found at recreational diving levels versus the 65 found in Cozumel.

---------- Post added February 18th, 2014 at 01:29 PM ----------

Nice list and summary Mossman.

I have more places on my to do list, including several you mentioned.

I've been to many places I didn't bother to list. Not that they were horrible, but more along the line of I have no urge to return for a dedicated dive trip.
Of my list, perhaps Kauai and Cancun/Puerto Morelos would not merit a dedicated dive trip. I'd include Puerto Vallarta, except that they have some pinnacles that are supposed to attract mantas, not to mention cleaner water, and it's such an easy jump from LAX. I'd only do Puerto Rico again to try Vieques or Culebra. Florida again maybe just because it's also convenient and I know people there.

Raja Ampat might be tops on my list, or maybe a muck diving trip to Lembeh since it's easier to get to and macro photography is my favorite activity besides sex. For a more budget trip, probably the Philippines, though somewhere where I won't have bugs in my bed (thanks MaxBottomtime).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom