Looking for, Dive shop for experienced divers, South of town pick up.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't been out with any of the other operations in Cozumel, however I must say +2 for Tres Pelicanos by the description of what your looking for with your diving. It won't matter if your on the dive with less advanced people, because Tres will do what they can to allow you to still have an enjoyable dive. Good luck either way, as long as you go with a reputable operation i'm sure you will have a great time.

If you don't charter a boat, you might want to just show your AOW card - as well as insisting that you 4 are 2 buddy pairs already. You probably knew that tho...?

All your needs met with two simple words..."Tres Pelicanos"

36' 10 diver max WIDENED fast boat...best Capt in Coz...Chan Fran...phenominal DM's Servando and Jorge...and let you dive YOUR dives...not a watch.
I STRONGLY suggest you give them a call or email Jeanie at "divetrespelicanos.com"

The owner Steve is a GREAT guy. I simply CANNOT say enough great things about that shop.

Feel free to pm me with any questions or info I can help with.

Bubs

Seems silly to say it again but Tres Pelicanos and don't look back! Check out my review on Tripadvisor from my recent trip. It's a five star review by Tripadvisor member "SF". They are a growing operation but the focus is first on giving you a great experience followed by customer service. I don't know how this guy can make a profit! They have a great boat, provide unlimited extras for their guests, go far out of there way to make every customer happy, not just satisfied, and their prices are great! They are not cutting corners anywhere. The shop is top notch along with the boat, equipment, and staff. Seriously, even the tanks, the most kicked around and neglected piece of gear in diving, are in good repair.

AND..in hydro...EVERY one of them...yeah..I checked EVERY tank we dove. Me thinks..SOMEONE..has a real vision of what a dive op can and should be..and is leading by example!!

Bubs

Tres Pelicanos was fabulous. Gives advanced divers a lot of freedom to do their own thing.

Tres Pelicanos was fabulous. Gives advanced divers a lot of freedom to do their own thing.

This is what we are looking for. And so far the best price quote!!

Just wanted to follow up and say that we dove with Tres Pelicanos and they were Great for us. Small Boat. Small group of all experienced divers joined our group and a Great DM who let us dive how we wanted to dive! It's been awhile since we have been to Cozumel and it's nice to see how the dive ops have improved.

thanks again for every ones input!

Craig

Everyone has their favorite...and everyone is right.

Most ops will let you charter your own boat with a minimum of 4 divers. We did that with Dive with Martin and it was only $10 more each for the 2 tank trip. The benefit was the boat was waiting on us when we arrived and we were in control of the day. We were all brand new divers and we did not have to worry about an advanced diver having to go on lower risk dives with us. For the situation we were in, it worked out better than perfect and we had an awesome first Caribbean dive. Dive With Martin runs out of the International Pier which may be convenient. I believe they will store your gear for multiple day dives. they are one of the oldest dive operators on the Island and have lasted for good reason.

Most operators will use the smaller "6 Pack" boats so # of divers should not be a problem if you do not charter your own. We dove with Blue Magic in January and had a great trip. They took care of all our gear so we did not have to lug it back and forth which made it very nice. they run out of the Caletta Marina which is far south of town. They usually leave from their dive shop and pay for the cab to the marina, but if you are close to the marina, I'm sure you could meet them there. If your resort has a pier, they may be able to pick you up there.

Most of the operations are very close in service and price but here are a few differences you may want to ask about. Email several operators in advance so you can have all the details worked out.

1. Big boat or small boat, max # of divers
2. Where do they leave from, can they pick you up at an alternate pier?
3. Surface interval- On the boat, at a beach, or at a beach club?
4. Tanks- aluminum or steel and what size is available
5. Computer dives or time limits- Surface as a group or with your buddy based on personal computers/ air remaining?
6. Rental BCD- Weight integrated or weight belt?
7. Time of departure
8. Night dives? Book one if you haven't!!

All of the operators listed have good reputations and I personally know people that have used most of then with great reports. I do not know if Blue XTsea has been listed but Christy is the owner and a frequent contributor to this board. I plan on giving her a shot on our next trip.

Don't forget a surface signal device and SMB. On one drift dive our group of 6 divers were scattered over quiet a distance. I had to duck behind a corral head for my wife to catch up and we spent the rest of the dive with one of us holding the others BCD D-ring. Lots of fun, but easy to see how divers get scattered too.

While your there, please drink a Bohemia Obscura (or 10) for me, eat the scallops at Guidos, and Alex at the Thirsty Cougar makes the best mojito I've ever had (order it shaken and strained)

Safe travels!!

Jay

Back
Top Bottom