Drysuit class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A good reason to have the cert card is in case you go somewhere and damage your DS or thought you weren't going to dive but decided to and need to rent one. My understanding is that shops won't rent a diver a DS without proof of having taken a cert class. What I learned in my DS cert class I could have easily learned from a mentor but then I wouldn't be able to rent a suit if I needed to. So having the card for me is okay, plus I got mine for $25, because it was a package deal that I worked out with my LDS before actually getting the DS I have now. I had planned on renting one for a while but came up with the cash for suits for both my wife and me at the last minute.

I got thrown out of a specialty class and told I could not use the shops tanks to dive because I did not have the cert card for my drysuit even though it is my personal drysuit.

I mean this in the most serious way, but is there a risk of backflow back into the urethra? I get infections easily. Also how does it work if I have to go from flaccid to wood to back again?
No, the cath has glue on the inside, there is a small risk of back flow if you get a kink in the hose. If you do a search on this forum you'll find a lot of helpful threads on p valve usage..

There was a very informative and entertaining thread on the deco stop about this.

Found it check out: The Deco Stop

I got thrown out of a specialty class and told I could not use the shops tanks to dive because I did not have the cert card for my drysuit even though it is my personal drysuit.

That sucks, I read up on dry suits and then bought one and practiced until I was happy. Now going for a course would be a waste of time and money for me. So all those earlier divers who have dry suits with no cert card before cert cards were in vogue cannot hire one???

i can understand signing a release form stating you have sufficient experience and stating number of dry suit dives, but to not allow you to dive at all sucks.

My opinion anyway

IIRC, I seem to remember a mod here on SB that was not going to dive on a trip but ended up having the chance to go anyway. The mod did not bring their DS card with them and was not allowed to rent a DS.

I do not dive dry often. I can do a 20min dive in 40 degree water and be fine thanks to my bare 7mil wetsuit. I will only use a DS if I am going to be in cold water all day or will have long surface interval in cold air temps.

The REI base layer is good, so is under armor. Mine are from Columbia and have some wool in the blend so they add some warmth even if wet.

I drink a lot of liquids to stay hydrated and the whole p valve is more work than it is worth for me. Adult diapers work great and keep things warm too.

The reason I took the class was to work towards my AOW cert. I would rather take the individual specialty classes rather than trying to cram it all in in a couple of days.

After diving a DS I'm not sure I can break out the 7mm for cold water. I just ordered some REI undergarments yesterday and rock boots. Maybe this spring I'll look for a DS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone should make a poll and see how many US drysuit divers have a drysuit card. I suspect the % is not all that many, so requiring one is a reality failure. It would be interesting to see the stats.

A proper drysuit undersuit will wick moisture away from you skin to the surface of the undersuit leaving you drier, warmer and happier. In a suit like that even a wintertime leak can be surprisingly little discomfort.

Will you quit dancing around the real topic and clue him onto HotWool? Changed my life. Endless thanks.:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom