Drysuit Neck Seal Too Tight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Silicone seal are much more elastic than the old Latex seals. As such they generally stretch more while squeezing less. I used to cut latex seals all the time, but never had to with silicone.

I would NOT cut it. Even a tiny nick in silicone can start a split. Instead see if there is a larger size you can purchase. They are super simple to replace, which is the whole point of having one.

Short of that, put a bowl, gallon jug, or other similar it though the neck seal for a day or two and try again. You may find that it gets a lot better with a little practice. Also, try to move the seal/skin contact point lower or higher on your neck.

Don't even try to dive with it and hope it will stretch out. It may stretch out after you pass out and drown.
That's exactly my worries. I will be diving it in 3 weeks. I just dry fit it to test fit and function in my living room. Based on all the comments, it looks like I will be cutting it out. I will do the razor blade method as I carry and use one every day of my life. I'm just going to cut 1 ring and test fit, maybe do a second if it's still too bad to do a test dive.

Quick question: How many dry suit dives have you done already?

I cut many a latex neck seal, and when I got my first one with silicone seals, I did the same. When I later sent it in to DRIS for unrelated work, they asked me why I had cut the seal. They told me the proper thing to do with silicone seals is order the correct size and leave it uncut. That was about 14 years ago, and I have not cut one since. It sounds like you need the next size up.

I cut many a latex neck seal, and when I got my first one with silicone seals, I did the same. When I later sent it in to DRIS for unrelated work, they asked me why I had cut the seal. They told me the proper thing to do with silicone seals is order the correct size and leave it uncut. That was about 14 years ago, and I have not cut one since. It sounds like you need the next size up.
I found 2 sizes. "Small" and "standard". The standard is the size I'm guessing I have as it is for 30 to 37 cm. I sent in 36 cm as my measurement to seaskin and I just double checked my neck. If there is a "large" I will buy it immediately.

The crazy thing is I'm a small guy. I'm only 5'8" and 130 lbs. I'm not big at all. So how do big guys wear these things?

20240414_122250.jpg
This is how I have tried stretching the seal. Out in the sun to help it with heat and soften up wrapped around a water bottle.

View attachment 836689This is how I have tried stretching the seal. Out in the sun to help it with heat and soften up wrapped around a water bottle.
Get a bigger bottle and pull the seal all of the way onto it, sun doesn’t matter much with silicone. This is more of a case of not being used to the feel, like wearing a tie.

After the first time I cut one and it tore just before a dive I’ve never cut one since, now days I prefer the waterproof neoprene which fits the quick neck, more comfortable and so much warmer.

I found 2 sizes. "Small" and "standard". The standard is the size I'm guessing I have as it is for 30 to 37 cm. I sent in 36 cm as my measurement to seaskin and I just double checked my neck. If there is a "large" I will buy it immediately.
According to the DRIS sizing chart, the standard SiTech silicone neck seal is for people with necks starting at 14 inches, 35.57 centimeters. It sounds like they gave you the small seal.

Back
Top Bottom