Drysuit Neck Seal Too Tight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Weisguy

Registered
Reaction score
I just got my new seaskin drysuit delivered. I'm happy with it except for the neck seal. It has the sitech quick neck silicone seal installed. I can get it on over my head with some struggling. But once it is on my neck it is cutting off the blood to my brain. After about a minute I can feel light headed and dizzy from it being too tight. My neck measures 36 cm and the neck seal is made for necks 30 to 37 cm according to the internet search I've done. My wife got a matching drysuit and her neck is 34 cm and feels great on her. I've tried stretching the seal by pushing a water jug through it. But I probably didn't do it long enough or do it right. Can anyone give me some tips to avoid cutting this brand new drysuit?

Cutting the neck seal with a SHARP pair of scissors is what you need to do. Cut off one ring at a time then try it on for size.
ns.jpg

I had to trim mine a couple of rings as well, easy to do. There are videos out there, I put mine over a PVC pipe and used a sharp razor blade. The key is to avoid a notch in your cut where the silicone can tear from.

Your neck is smaller than mine, I don’t cut those and I’m fine but if you want to cut it make sure you have a spare seal first. The main point is the cut being as straight as possible and continuous, having it stretched over something and using a good razor blade is probably close to foolproof as you’ll get but good scissors can do it too.

putting it over something rigid, and cutting with a razor is the way to go. As pointed out, and cut that is not completely "flat" will create a stress concentration point that is a path for a tear...

I just got my new seaskin drysuit delivered. I'm happy with it except for the neck seal. It has the sitech quick neck silicone seal installed. I can get it on over my head with some struggling. But once it is on my neck it is cutting off the blood to my brain. After about a minute I can feel light headed and dizzy from it being too tight. My neck measures 36 cm and the neck seal is made for necks 30 to 37 cm according to the internet search I've done. My wife got a matching drysuit and her neck is 34 cm and feels great on her. I've tried stretching the seal by pushing a water jug through it. But I probably didn't do it long enough or do it right. Can anyone give me some tips to avoid cutting this brand new drysuit?
I feel like my 1st dive or 2 it felt tight,and after that it felt fine. Only you know, maybe give it a little time before you cut?

Plenty of stories of someone cutting and regretting it later as they get a little leakage.

My neck measures 36 cm and the neck seal is made for necks 30 to 37 cm according to the internet search I've done.
So it likely would need to have a few "rings" removed as you near the top end of the range...

. But once it is on my neck it is cutting off the blood to my brain. After about a minute I can feel light headed and dizzy from it being too tight.
Don't even try to dive with it and hope it will stretch out. It may stretch out after you pass out and drown.

Don't even try to dive with it and hope it will stretch out. It may stretch out after you pass out and drown.
I missed that part, you're 100% correct. Don't drown over it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom