Future availability of the replaceable orifice in HOG D3 first stages?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kr2y5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In another thread, it was mentioned that a new generation of HOG D3 is coming out without the replaceable orifice. I've just taken the TDI HOG class, and I've heard something similar from my instructor. I was about to switch to all HOG regulators, and I now wonder, for how long, from where, and at what cost I will be able to obtain the replaceable orifice for my existing HOG D3s first stages. Could someone with first-hand knowledge please comment?

Since there is no noticeable performance loss, we have decided to go back to the simpler and more service tolerant fixed orifice design. For those worried about getting the removable orifice in the future, if and when we no longer offer the removable orifice we will offer a body upgrade at a comparable cost of a removable orifice. If a user is deemed to have a valid warranty claim with the removable orifice and the issue has not been caused by improper servicing or use, then we will replace the body with a fixed orifice design body. The removable hard orifice is a schedule B part and if serviced properly and cared for properly it should never need to be replaced, if it is not, then if and when it needs to be replaced should we not have them then the main body can be replaced to a fixed orifice design with all other parts working fine with the new body piece.

When these new D3s become available, will they be renamed somehow so that we know which generation we're buying? I want to buy two new D3s, with the fixed orifice, but I haven't seen any indication that the regs available are the new generation.

1. All future D3's and HOG 1st stages sold individually will only be offered in sealed versions only. Thus if you are buying an unsealed version it will likely be the replaceable orifice model.
2. All fixed orifice models will have D3 laser engraved below the laser engraved serial number and HOG logo thus differentiating the two designs. If the body does not have the D3 designation than it will be the unfixed model.
3. No fixed orifice D3 has yet arrived, the first batch from our factory has just shipped to us, so any D3 you would currently receive is going to be of the removable orifice design. We will start to receive the fixed orifice models in a couple weeks and then additional shipments every month.

Back
Top Bottom