Heated hoods?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Johanan

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Heated hoods. Do they exist? Much of the body heat is lost through the head. Logically, there should be heated hoods, shouldn't they? Could not find any in Google or SB search. Thanks!

Much of the body heat is lost through the head.

I think you're basing this statement on a myth. You lose no more heat out of your head than other parts of your body. As tbone said, a well fitted neoprene hood does a great job. Typically that's more than enough. The most important part of your body to keep warm is your core.

I think you're basing this statement on a myth. You lose no more heat out of your head than other parts of your body. As tbone said, a well fitted neoprene hood does a great job. Typically that's more than enough. The most important part of your body to keep warm is your core.

May be that's a myth but a popular one. I have seeen countless articles like this:

"Your head is the source of 20 to 40 percent of your heat loss though it accounts for only 10 percent of your body's surface area. That's because your head is where your brain lives. Your brain gets more than its share of your total blood flow to begin with, and much of it travels through vessels just under your scalp, close to the cold ocean. Heat follows blood flow. When your body gets cold, it constricts blood vessels in your arms and legs and near your skin to conserve heat, but doesn't constrict those in your head. Those continue to carry blood--and dump heat--at full capacity. So inch for inch, your head is more in need of thermal protection than any other part of your body."

Thank you for the links, FoxHound! Interesting. If memory serves, I heard this version about heat loss even during the courses.
Subjectively, I can easier tolerate freezing feet than freezing head. But you are right. A well fitting hood would do the job. I have yet to find the perfect one. Or to re-shape my head. :)

Drysuit hoods are the only way I can even begin to tolerate a hood, the zipper being the biggest part of that

In reality, a well fitting hood will keep you quite warm. I've spent lots of time under the ice and the main body parts i work really hard to keep warm are my hands and feet.....if they are warm, the rest of me is warm.

When your body gets cold, it restricts blood flow to the extremities to keep the core warmer. Thus, it is natural for your hands and feet to feel cold first. And almost axiomatic that if they are warm the rest of you is warm, too.

When your body gets cold, it restricts blood flow to the extremities to keep the core warmer. Thus, it is natural for your hands and feet to feel cold first. And almost axiomatic that if they are warm the rest of you is warm, too.
You got er!

Thats why I keep em warm....can wear as many layers on the core but if i wear crap gloves and thin socks I freeze.

If i wear my army wolly socks and mec gloves in my dry glove, I dont need as much on my core to stay toasty.

---------- Post added February 3rd, 2015 at 05:38 PM ----------

Thank you for the links, FoxHound! Interesting. If memory serves, I heard this version about heat loss even during the courses.
Subjectively, I can easier tolerate freezing feet than freezing head. But you are right. A well fitting hood would do the job. I have yet to find the perfect one. Or to re-shape my head. :)
Thats the trick....I hate hoods but they are a needed evil.

I found the only one that fits right a waterproof brand hood, but i still had to trim around the chin.

Im the opposite....i cant tolerate my toes being cold at all....if my toes are cold my whole body has a chill. Dont mind my head too much though. -30° and I can go without a hat but need my wollies and good mitts lol

For cold water diving i shure can recommend Waterproof's H1 5/10mm.
They are like a snug and warm head condom [emoji102] [emoji108]

Back
Top Bottom