How Diving Coz is bringing me back to life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So very sorry for your loss but I do agree that diving is the cure for many things. I am glad you are back in the water and enjoying yourself.

My wife and I always go to Cozumel for our daughter's birthday (which is why I was there last week) and on the anniversary of her death. We get away from the family members who want to try to comfort us and spend time with friends who never knew her. Underwater off Cozumel is our happy place.

I know it sounds all shrinky and stuff, but this thread should remind everyone that, while it's important to plan for the future, the only time that you actually have in which to live is right now. You can't live in the future any more than you can in the past. Sometimes it takes a big hit upside the head for us to realize that.

So sorry to hear about your loss. It breaks my heart that she had waited her whole life to retire and then dies on the day of her retirement.. just so ironic and sad. Anyone can be taken at any given time and it is hard to understand that. I know she would want you to continue to live your life, but I am sure that is a struggle for you... like it would be for anyone. I hope you have an awesome trip!

This thread will get the most Likes ever...!!

Sweet story, waynel - and I admire your attitude. I'll be on the island in a few days and it'd be an honor to shake your hand - somewhere. Who are you diving with...??
So sorry to hear about your loss. It breaks my heart that she had waited her whole life to retire and then dies on the day of her retirement.. just so ironic and sad. Anyone can be taken at any given time and it is hard to understand that. I know she would want you to continue to live your life, but I am sure that is a struggle for you... like it would be for anyone. I hope you have an awesome trip!
Yep, it sucks, but then it always does. My mom went suddenly like Lisa did sorta', which is the kinder way to go - as we all go sometime. My dad lingered and suffered in the best old folks homes too long, against his wishes. Either way it sucks.

I remember one trip I had planned for North Carolina wreck diving when dad went in. I considered cancelling, but didn't - as I just didn't think he'd want me to stop traveling and wait for him to die. I knew I could get home in a day if he took a turn for the worst. I stopped by a military surplus store near the Marine Corp air base on the road there and got him a commemorative USMC cap for the Intrepid, his ship as a seagoing Marine in WWII. First smile I'd seen on him in a long time, and I guess the last one. The ship is a museum in NYC now, and he got to visit it in the 1980s after he remarried. My sis has the foresight to contact them in advance to let them know a ship vet was coming, and they got out the keys to the restricted areas so he could go anywhere he wanted.

I was there all day & night when he did pass. It was sad to see him off but I was glad he was no longer suffering. We scheduled the funeral for a few days later, on a Monday, the director filed the forms to request an honor guard, and - I called my old Marine Reserve company in Lubbock. I didn't know the First Sgt who took the call or anyone else there, but I told him I hoped that they could make the duty call themselves, even tho the VFW volunteers do a good job when called.

Once arrangements were made, I told my siblings that I had a weekend dive trip planned a couple hundred miles away - a local club with contests in a 20 foot deep training spring, so I thought I'd just go, and return for the services. :idk: Maybe I should have stuck around to host the visitors, but I went. I even won a reg I've used on my pony for a decade since.

Oh, Monday came, we had a nice service in the small town church, then headed for our cemetery. We could see it a half mile away when we made the turn out of town, and see the Marines at Parade Rest waiting. Lovely graveside service.

Well, I am rambling, but sharing like waynel did is best, so I jumped in...

This thread will get the most Likes ever...!!

Sweet story, waynel - and I admire your attitude. I'll be on the island in a few days and it'd be an honor to shake your hand - somewhere. Who are you diving with...??

Yep, it sucks, but then it always does. My mom went suddenly like Lisa did sorta', which is the kinder way to go - as we all go sometime. My dad lingered and suffered in the best old folks homes too long, against his wishes. Either way it sucks.

I remember one trip I had planned for North Carolina wreck diving when dad went in. I considered cancelling, but didn't - as I just didn't think he'd want me to stop traveling and wait for him to die. I knew I could get home in a day if he took a turn for the worst. I stopped by a military surplus store near the Marine Corp air base on the road there and got him a commemorative USMC cap for the Intrepid, his ship as a seagoing Marine in WWII. First smile I'd seen on him in a long time, and I guess the last one. The ship is a museum in NYC now, and he got to visit it in the 1980s after he remarried. My sis has the foresight to contact them in advance to let them know a ship vet was coming, and they got out the keys to the restricted areas so he could go anywhere he wanted.

I was there all day & night when he did pass. It was sad to see him off but I was glad he was no longer suffering. We scheduled the funeral for a few days later, on a Monday, the director filed the forms to request an honor guard, and - I called my old Marine Reserve company in Lubbock. I didn't know the First Sgt who took the call or anyone else there, but I told him I hoped that they could make the duty call themselves, even tho the VFW volunteers do a good job when called.

Once arrangements were made, I told my siblings that I had a weekend dive trip planned a couple hundred miles away - a local club with contests in a 20 foot deep training spring, so I thought I'd just go, and return for the services. :idk: Maybe I should have stuck around to host the visitors, but I went. I even won a reg I've used on my pony for a decade since.

Oh, Monday came, we had a nice service in the small town church, then headed for our cemetery. We could see it a half mile away when we made the turn out of town, and see the Marines at Parade Rest waiting. Lovely graveside service.

Well, I am rambling, but sharing like waynel did is best, so I jumped in...

Don, I am diving with Dive with Martin. I will be on the island from Thursday, May 28 through Thursday June 4. While I haven't been on the board for a year, I have chatted with you since 2007. I am staying at El Cid. I have never actually met anyone I've talked to on this board for eight years while in Coz. It would be a treat if we could "shake hands." Thanks brother.

I'm here in Playa right now. The water is warm, the sun is shining, and the ocean is waiting. Yesterday, at the double arrows on the gold line in Gran Cenote, I stopped, I hovered just off the line, and for a second, I left my cookie, and blew some bubbles for Lisa. I hope she got them, and I hope Cozumel brings you peace.

Will be blowing kisses for Lisa next time I am in Cozumel.

A great story - thanks for sharing.

A dive holiday in Cozumel helps me leave everything behind, if even only for a few days.

Enjoy your trip and savour the memories.

Divegoose

I am diving with Dive with Martin. I will be on the island from Thursday, May 28 through Thursday June 4.

I will get to Coz on June 6 to dive with DWM, so unfortunately will miss you by just a couple of days, waynel. I will be sure to blow some bubble kisses to Lisa while there. I, too, am a teacher, so your story about her last day at school was particularly poignant to me. Wishing you a lovely trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom