Food to eat before and in between dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it's a full day of diving, I try to make sure that I eat a pretty hearty breakfast at least an hour before heading to the water (so total is at least an hour and a half to two hours). I'll stay away from very fatty, high protein stuff, but opt for oatmeal, a slice of bread with jam, some coffee, orange juice, fruit and a tall glass of water.

On the way to the water or in the boat, I'll drink about half a liter of water.

Between dives I opt for fruit, nuts and chocolate (chocolate with nuts is particularly good).

Lunch will be relatively light, maybe a sandwich or a chicken salad or some such.

Dinner will again be hearty, a steak and salad or something like that.

Anything....If I'm diving in the morning I usually have a bowl of Wheaties and an energy bar on my way to the dive site. Any other time of day, anything goes! In fact one cold October we had some SERIOUS chili during our surface interval...No one would unzip anyone's back zip suits that day!

Peanut butter and honey sandwiches.

the K

For boat dives a light breakfast.
Diving at the lake it's a chicken biscuit.

Lunch on the boat depends upon the boat.... a couple of the boats in the area have the greatest grilled hot dogs with all the condiments.
Lunch at the lake is usually grab what you can between dives... trail mix, fruit, cold chicken.

No matter where I dive, I keep hydrated with water and cranberry juice. If it's rough seas, ginger ale is good.

I also recommend pawpaw,
MD

I haven't heard of them since I left SW Ohio 33 years ago. They grow in temperate regions, are deciduous trees with fairly large elongated leaves and taste and have the texture more like banana than any thing else I've eaten. Is it the same in Oz? Actually they weren't that good in Ohio.

old post but does anyone have suggestions of heavier meals that can stay in an ice chest and don't need to be heated? I was at a quarry this past weekend and had a big breakfast before but after a 2 hour drive, I was starving before I even hit the water.

old post but does anyone have suggestions of heavier meals that can stay in an ice chest and don't need to be heated? I was at a quarry this past weekend and had a big breakfast before but after a 2 hour drive, I was starving before I even hit the water.

Peanut butter and jelly. It has everything you need.

I always bring a couple pounds of cherries on the boat. Everyone loves them and they seem to hit the spot.

old post but does anyone have suggestions of heavier meals that can stay in an ice chest and don't need to be heated?.

Pizza wrapped in aluminum foil from the night before. Rest this on top of the ice.

Coke in glass bottles, real Coke. Lay them in the bottom covered with ice.

If some fussy-pants complains about cold pizza, just put it on the engine exhaust manifold for 1/2 an hour.

Diet Coke? Buy a bigger wetsuit.

(this thread has, as of today, survived 3 Stanley Cup wins by the Hawks. Hockey in Tampa? You gotta be joking)

I use the same thing I use for any moderate-to-high exertion activity (cycling, hiking in more difficult terrain, refereeing soccer): Peanut butter crackers, and two water bottles, one with water and one with gatorade/powerade/equivalent. Then I switch back and forth between the drinks depending on what I feel like. For something more substantial, I'd use granola bars or a whole grain bagel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom