Want to learn to dive! Pool training question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mayajan

New
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi! I really want to learn how to dive this summer, and so got a wetsuit (Roxy 4/3mm), fins, and a mask for my birthday. Should I practice swimming with the suit/mask/fins in a pool before my lesson just to get used to them? I've never used any of those before (I can swim though!).

Thanks!

-Maya

not necessary, but you would probably have fun playing with the equipment, so go for it.

I wouldn't recommend buying any more equipment though, it is better to go through the class first so you can make a more informed decision on what equipment to get.

Can't hurt, might help. Rinse the chlorine off the wetsuit afterwards.

Rinse the chlorine off the wetsuit afterwards.

And the pee, too.

Maya - Its great that you have such enthusiasm. One of the challenges that new divers have is learning to relax when they are under water. If you want to practice snorkeling in the pool then I would also practice breathing in a very relaxed manner. Breathing off a regulator is easier than a snorkel but you will notice a very slight resistance (especially with the lower end regulators used in classes). This is normal but something you need to get use to. Being relaxed in the water is a huge advantage when diving and snorkeling is a great way to start.

Good luck with your class.

By all means! The more comfortable you are in your gear before the class, the more yo will get out of the class.

Have at it !!!

By doing so you will learn, first hand, the characteristics of some of your gear, especially the buoyancy aspect of your wetsuit.

As mentioned above, add a snorkel to the list.

Safe dives . . . . . .
. . . safer ascents !

the K

Thanks everyone! Yes my mask has snorkel attached to it, I'm really excited! Just one more quick question. Will the wetsuit get too hot in a pool or will I be fine once I'm in the water. Thanks again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom