Newby question; can I change out my SPG, or send to service facility?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikelleen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Sorry if this is a repeat / stupid question. I am new to the board and scuba.

My question is can I change out my submersible pressure gauge to an air integrated computer myself? I.E. changing the hoses on the first stage regulator?

Basically I bought a brand new air integrated computer and want to know if I can install it on my regulator.

My assumption is that I should take it to my LDS for this, but maybe it's as simple as taking off the old SPG and putting on the DC.

Thanks

Normally all first stage regulators has 2 HP ports. One for the SPG Hose and a second for the AI sensor.
It's a good idea to have a backup of the AI PDC, as AI PDCs have 2 batteries to trust to. One for the AI sensor and one for the PDC. Instead a SPG is a mechanical device with few moving parts.
However, if you want to remove the console, just unscrew the SPG hose from the first stage regulator and screw the AI sensor. Threads should be the same, unless you have a very old first stage. Be sure to lube the o-ring with silicone grease, just a few to make it brilliant, and a few, very few in the AI sensor thread. Do not tight too much. Just a little, and there you are.

maybe it's as simple as taking off the old SPG and putting on the DC.
Exactly...

You bought a hosed AI computer right? So the answer is yes, you can easily do it yourself.

Just remove the gauge console hose from the first stage and replace it with the new one. No lubricant/grease is necessary and don't torque on it - finger tight plus a little is enough - it's hard to describe the exact force required. I usually just "snug" them with a wrench after hand tightening.

No more or you risk stripping the threads - if yours is a typical first stage it's chrome over brass and brass is a soft metal.

"If you can turn a wrench, you can change a hose" (read as Patches O'Hoolihan from Dodgeball)

Your first stage (the part that attaches to the tank valve) probably has two HP ports. You may choose as many do to retain the mechanical spg. In which case you can install the AI sender into the unused port. If you do not wish to retain the spg or your first stage has only one HP (high pressure) port then simply unscrew the HP hose and install the new AI sender. Do not over tighten, snug is enough. That means to run it down until it seats/stops and then maybe an 1/8 of a turn further.

James

Don't use silicone on the o-ring. It can be installed dry. Silicon is not O2 compatible and creates a risk if you use your regulator with nitrox in the futute.

Don't use silicone on the o-ring. It can be installed dry. Silicon is not O2 compatible and creates a risk if you use your regulator with nitrox in the futute.
That’s not universally accepted advice. Silicone is just fine up to 40% EANx, or more – depending on who you talk to and how risk/litigation-averse they are. And there are those of us who will always lube o-rings because that’s what the manufacturers recommend and because it eases their movement during installation.

---------- Post added July 15th, 2015 at 02:35 PM ----------

see also some references here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/re...bcd-hose-assembly-question-2.html#post7376134

Back
Top Bottom