Totally Addicted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

katiegw

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
No questions here. I just want to state that as a newly Certified OW diver, my husband and I are completely addicted to diving! Our shiny "new" used gear is working out great, and we'd be in the water three times a week if we could get enough babysitters to support it. :)

Factors working agaist us:

We live in Michigan (but aren't feeling ready for alot of deep Great Lakes dives yet)
We have two little kids (2 and 5) who need watchin' we we dive
We don't have the $$ to travel to exciting dive destinations. We are going on a cruise with family next winter and may be able to snag a single 2-tank dive on that trip, but that's all that's in the cards for travel in the near future.

We've got the bug, but we'll have to content ourselves with just enjoying being weightless in our low viz MI lakes.

I wish we would have tried this out sooner!

Most people who don't have any idea about it.

You out can't tell them and they don't seem to care it justify why they don't do it.

just stay with it

I would try to get out to the lakes, even if the visibility is low. The freshwater fish can be really cool, and who knows what you might find down there! I try to dive at the local lake as often as possible, even though the best visibility we've had was about 10-15 feet.

As for the kids, teach them to swim and snorkel when they are old enough. When they get a bit older, get them a junior certification and go out as a family! In the mean time, get out to the lake whenever you have a break from the kids!

If your on FB then do search for Great Lakes Wrecking Crew. Their mostly tec divers but they can help you out. I've dove Thunder Bay Marine Sanctuary by Alpena and it was awesome. That was my 1st dive after getting my OW cert.

Just move on down to Florida! We've got it all, Gators, Crocs, Mocassins, Rattlers, Copperheads, Rabid Otters, several kinds of shark and yes: mosquitoes!

Just move on down to Florida! We've got it all, Gators, Crocs, Mocassins, Rattlers, Copperheads, Rabid Otters, several kinds of shark and yes: mosquitoes!

Well, that just killed it right there for me!

No questions here. I just want to state that as a newly Certified OW diver, my husband and I are completely addicted to diving! Our shiny "new" used gear is working out great, and we'd be in the water three times a week if we could get enough babysitters to support it. :)

Factors working agaist us:

We live in Michigan (but aren't feeling ready for alot of deep Great Lakes dives yet)
We have two little kids (2 and 5) who need watchin' we we dive
We don't have the $$ to travel to exciting dive destinations. We are going on a cruise with family next winter and may be able to snag a single 2-tank dive on that trip, but that's all that's in the cards for travel in the near future.

We've got the bug, but we'll have to content ourselves with just enjoying being weightless in our low viz MI lakes.

I wish we would have tried this out sooner!

Sooner? With 2 youngsters you can't be that old. Life goes by quickly, dive when you can, and when the youngsters are in college you'll have a wonderful hobby that you can share as a couple. Or as a family? How exciting!

Katie--I'd suggest emigration might be a good idea. head on over to New Zealand --then dive all year round.

Congratulations on your certification! I wish my wife would get hers, but so far I've not been able to talk her into it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

OMG! How frustrating. I can't imagine how hard that must be. I got my AOW cert this year and im totally hooked too. I have the pacific as my backyard and frustrated because I can't afford to dive as much as I'd like. Just try and get out as often as possible there and when you can afford to travel to better places don't pass it up.

Back
Top Bottom