Warranties / "free parts for life" vs buying used?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're looking to save money, buy used regulators and get them serviced when they need it, which for an average diver would be no more often than once every 3-5 years; it depends on how much you use them and how well you rinse and store them. I have regulators that I serviced 10 years ago that I would gladly dive without hesitation.

The manufacturers' "free" parts for life is a bit of a scam. They make you service the regs every year, regardless of use, and pay only labor; still probably close to $100 every year per regulator set. For me, this would mean close to $1000 per year in regulator service cost, or about 1/2 the cost of a week in cozumel including air fare. FAT FREAKIN CHANCE I'd do that! (but I'm cheap)

The manufacturers set the cost of the service kits absurdly high, which realistically are only worth a few pennies, in an attempt to artificially inflate the value of this "free" parts for life.

In truth, regulators last a very long time between services IF the service is done correctly and the diver cares for his/her regulator.

It's nice that you like your local shop; if it's lonestar scuba, they are really nice people and definitely worth supporting. How you spend your money is up to you! But the 'free parts for life' bit is not worth it.

I personally will never buy used again, my old regs, Aqualung Legend were awesome. But at close to $300 per full service it got a bit rich, my new ones have parts for life so it will only cost me $100 each service instead.

Wow, that is some of the most expansive service cost I have ever heard, even measured at Canadian dollar. Per your description, parts are worth $200 and labor is $100? Darnnnn

Wow, that is some of the most expansive service cost I have ever heard, even measured at Canadian dollar. Per your description, parts are worth $200 and labor is $100? Darnnnn

I'd bet that $100 includes the good customer discount. Or the $300 included the bad customer added fee.

If you're looking to save money, buy used regulators and get them serviced when they need it, which for an average diver would be no more often than once every 3-5 years; it depends on how much you use them and how well you rinse and store them. I have regulators that I serviced 10 years ago that I would gladly dive without hesitation.

The manufacturers' "free" parts for life is a bit of a scam. They make you service the regs every year, regardless of use, and pay only labor; still probably close to $100 every year per regulator set. For me, this would mean close to $1000 per year in regulator service cost, or about 1/2 the cost of a week in cozumel including air fare. FAT FREAKIN CHANCE I'd do that! (but I'm cheap)

The manufacturers set the cost of the service kits absurdly high, which realistically are only worth a few pennies, in an attempt to artificially inflate the value of this "free" parts for life.

In truth, regulators last a very long time between services IF the service is done correctly and the diver cares for his/her regulator.

It's nice that you like your local shop; if it's lonestar scuba, they are really nice people and definitely worth supporting. How you spend your money is up to you! But the 'free parts for life' bit is not worth it.

Thanks--good points.
I don't really *need* to save money... I had been looking at "new in box" on eBay as well as "demo gear / opened box" at online retailers. That said, I'd rather give my shop the money on the reg. They've been awesome to me so far and would definitely be servicing it.

(By the way, it's Aqua Trek in Keller / N Richland Hills. Not sure where Lonestar Scuba is? My instructor is a really good friend and Aqua Trek is the shop he's worked with for a few years so I just went there :wink: )

2 different shops charged me pretty close to the same so? $45 parts kit X3 plus labour and of course lots of taxes!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

did you have 3 first stages or something? 2nd stage kits are usually around 20 to 25.

Nope, 1 first stage and second plus octo. I'm not complaining about it just saying with parts for life it's a lot cheaper in the long run

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom