Transpac XT configured for sidemount (wing advise)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mddolson

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Greetings all. I'm a happy Transpac owner.
I' 5ft 11, 240 lbs, dive with viking dry suit most of year, & wet when I vacation in Caribbean.
Have been using my transpac & rec wing back mount for last 6-8 years, with singles & double aluminums.
I used a DR super wing & transplate with double steel 98's.
Two years ago I dove with a couple of side mounters in Tulum, I began the transition to side mount.

I know the Nomad series are dedicated side mount rigs, but I'm not ready buy a new rig just yet.
Presently I have my TP-XT with rec-wing in front, & the tech butte-plate (fits my fat arse better).
The lower lacing loops of the wing are tied to my waist band to prevent tacoing.
I'm still playing with tank bungies, trying single & and old school loop styles, not sure which I like better yet.

On wing selection I could use some advise.
I will no longer be using the big steel tanks. I have had knee replacement surgery.
Is there a better wing for this type of diving.

If so why. I'm a need to know (ex instructor) person .
Details are important.

Mike Dolson

Last edited:
rec wing is what the nomad is based off of and if you have it tied down so it doesn't taco you're fine. No need to make any other mods unless you're having trim problems and at that point you would have to switch to butt pillow type wings to keep the lift way down low. Xdeep Stealth 2.0 type. With sidemount the bigger wings behave much better when empty vs. in backmount since they're tied down so there is no real disadvantage to carrying the bigger wing unless you have trim problems with it.

Thanks Tbone, I appreciate your comments.
I am still playing around, & tweaking the rig.
Diving dry I don't need much air in the wing, but I am still tuning things for my wetsuit & that will be deferred a while til winter vacation time frame.

Mike D

with the wetsuit, if you haven't done the change yet, you're in for a wild ride as the trim characteristics are radically different and I don't think the rec wing goes down far enough to really help you out. You can't use heavy fins, so no jet fins/turtles/f1's, likely will need trim weights on your shoulders, etc.

I dive Turtle Fins in my viking drysuit, but I use a pair of Mares quattros w/spring straps when diving wet.
I have the wing set 3" low on my transpac back.(middle grommets on wing aligned with bottom grommets on back)
Sounds like I'll have to do some pool work though before heading south.
Thanks again for the head's up.

Mike D

Mike,

My recommendation would be to dive our Nomad XT Wing with your Transpac. It is designed specifically for sidemount. Please feel free to contact me at mccain@diverite.com with any other questions.

John

Thanks John, will do.

Mike D

Mike,

My recommendation would be to dive our Nomad XT Wing with your Transpac. It is designed specifically for sidemount. Please feel free to contact me at mccain@diverite.com with any other questions.

John

I'll actually disagree with that one. Not the contacting John bit, he's actually really good, but with a new XT wing at $400, I'd recommend going to the LTZ for an extra $100 which should be a lot better for AL80's, and wouldn't worry about the narrower butt plate since with AL80's they'll be on hip d-rings anyway.

Thanks for the advise (Tbone & John), I really appreciate it.
For now I plan to stick with with my current config, until I get more comfortable.
So far in my dry suit it's been a non-event, but I haven't played with it in my wet suit yet.
Hoping to get in my neighbor's pool this weekend.

Don't know if you're aware but now is not the best time for Canuks to buy USA product.
Not many local shops stock DR , so we have to order in.
Our dollar just took a nose dive down to $0.76 US.
That $400 US translates into $526 Canadian.

Mike D

Last edited:
oh we are aware, we are reaping the benefit with cheap Shearwater Products :-D

I'd still recommend the LTZ over getting a Nomad wing though, you'll be much happier I think. Reason is the Nomad wing is based off of the Rec wing, AL80's don't have nearly as much of a trim issue as the heavy steels, so you don't need quite as much lift at the bottom, so unless your rec wing isn't doing something specific for you now, going to the Nomad wing really isn't going to do anything for you. If you go to the LTZ, you go to a rig that is much more aligned with what you're going to be using it for, so will work better for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom