What age to start

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
Hi Guys fron Sydney Australia

As a newbie to this forum I hope that I am not digging up old issues.

I have a 10yr old son who is keen on scuba diving. he has been snorkeling since we was 3, but now wants more. I understand that in most parts of the world the age is 10, however in Australia it is 12yrs. We are considering going to Vanuatu to get him certified. Can anyone shed some light into this matter of the ideal age.

Thanks

Wow, lucky kid!
I'm not an instructor to give you proffessional advice, but I sure wish I had an opportunity to learn diving that young and had cool parents like you when I was a kid.

It probably depends on the maturity and motivation of the kid. I say probably because my oldest is 11 and she isn't certified yet so I don't know firsthand. I bought her all the study materials, a travel plate and wing, regulator set and an AL63 but I'm waiting for her to take the initiative to read the book and learn the information. I've been waiting all summer. It may be next summer...

I think PADI allows junior course from 10, but in some countries the minimum age is 10 and in other 12.
My 12 years old daughter just finished Junior open water and very happy.
I think the most important to understand if your child able to listen, understand materials and take serious.
You can just check how he make other "adult" tasks.
Note: Usually girls more are serious than boys. :)

Thanks guys

My son is very mature (sometimes it is very scary) he has already read all the study material that we have at home. A lot of it is old school as my wife and i have been diving for a long time (50+ yrs between us).
We have had him in our pool with scuba gear on with no problems.

Thanks guys

My son is very mature (sometimes it is very scary) he has already read all the study material that we have at home. A lot of it is old school as my wife and i have been diving for a long time (50+ yrs between us).
We have had him in our pool with scuba gear on with no problems.
Just my opinion, but with all that I'd say he's ready.
I remember in third grade there was a kid who dived with his father. He was 8, That was in 1969. They did a demo once at school in a big trash can filled with water. I remember I thought it was sooo cool, everybody thought it was cool.

he has been snorkeling since we was 3, but now wants more.

Sounds like he may be more comfortable in the water than the average 10 year old.

What kind of diving do you foresee him doing in the next year or two? I'm thinking about things like:

1.) Very benign conditions - warm, great visibility, minimal current, fairly shallow?

2.) Are both parents certified, comfortable & seasoned divers & ready to dive as a 3-some, both keeping a close eye on him?

3.) If only one parent will be diving with him, that parent will to some extent be 'solo' diving, given that a 10 year old's ability to mentally & physically navigate the needs of the buddy system are questionable. And not only will you be solo diving, but you will do so with the added burden to providing supervision to a child…your child.

4.) How does your son react to surprises, being startled, danger, etc…? Stop, think, act deliberately vs. tear up & start wailing? One of the take home lessons from a Rescue Diver course was, in my judgment, it's often not the situation on a dive that kills you, but how you react to it (which can kill you just as dead).

I'm not trying to discourage you from doing it. I've got a toddler and I'd love to see her certified someday at 10 (I think). But be aware.

Richard.

Thanks for you input Richard, its great to ideas from people how have kids and enjoy this great sport. I will try to address the point you made with discuusion that i have had with my wife (Deb).

1:- diving would be in very calm conditions and probably limited to summer diving at less than 8mts.

2:- both Deb and I are certified. Myself since 1981 and my Deb since 1995, both of us have dived regularly since our certifications(Deb stopped for about two yrs while pregnant and after the birth)

3:- as Deb and I have both "solo dived" in the past (generally due to us both being photograhers), we WOULD NOT consider him diving with only one of us. We would only dive as a 3 some.

4:- Total agree with you. it is absolutly how you react to a situation that will determin the outcome. We are very luck the he tends to remain calm in difficuly situations. However, generally situation that generally occur on land will not kill you, so it is an unknown how anyone will react when a situation occurs underwater.

Richard

As mentioned, it depends upon the mental maturity of your child.
I've worked with youth for many years, especially in scouting, and the differences among children of the same age to focus and retain are profound.

Add to that your child's comfort level in water and you should be able to make a sound judgment.

However, should your child start showing less that 100% attention to the subject matter, I would suggest slowing down, or suspending training until such time he regains the proper attitude.

Safe dives . . . . . .
. . . Safer ascents !

the K

Both my children were certified at 12 years old. They were reasonably mature and responsible and were very skilled and comfortable in the water. I was recertified with my son (after a 17 year hiatus from diving) and my wife was newly certified with my daughter. That was now 18 and 13 years ago and both are skilled, experienced, active divers. Though a long time ago, they probably would have done fine at 10 years old, the minimum age for PADI Jr OWD was 12 at the time.

If you went to Vanuatu to certify your 10 year old, would that be recognized in Australia for diving or would you have to go abroad to dive for at least 2 years? When your son turns 12, will his previous certification be recognized at home or would there be a problem?

Best of luck, I love diving with my family. I just returned from doing the wreck trek on the M/V Spree in the Florida Keys with my son. Priceless having the nearly undivided attention of your 30 year old son while doing something you both love.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom