The bug bit me (the Diving bug) :D

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At my local shop it is $8 to rent a tank and $6 to fill one. So it takes around 100 dives to break even, assuming you buy new. Buying used comes with it's with potential pitfalls.
$3000 will cover a lot of gasoline and tank retentals or fills.

Thanks guys, and to the boat related questions, i ask because there are some places in the lake that are pretty deep.. I just didnt know what people do in that situation. And yes, I do plan on talking with people from dive shops etc.. but right now, im not driving an hour to my nearest one just for S&G than an hour home after a conversation.. (yes i can call but thats not as personal as actually meeting the people) So until i do actually go and meet the dive shop and possibly sign up for the class (pending if i like them), im on here asking and learning questions... :)

How deep is "pretty deep"? Most of the boats around here have no problem anchoring in 100ft of water. Generally the interesting stuff for diving is on the bottom, so if it's too deep to anchor, there's not a lot to see when diving there.

Well. Wiki says deepest spot is like 900. But average is close to 280. Weck spots. Not 100% sure. Now there's probably a good chunk that are shallow. But maybe some deeper too. Idk.

Well. Wiki says deepest spot is like 900. But average is close to 280. Weck spots. Not 100% sure. Now there's probably a good chunk that are shallow. But maybe some deeper too. Idk.

Ok, but you're not likely to be diving in 280', are you? So why does it matter that you can't anchor there either?

My husband and I are also from Michigan and got our OW certs this summer. We have done quite a few dives in our inland lakes and Gilboa quarry in Ohio (Google it!), but we haven't been in any of the Great Lakes yet. The inland lakes have varying visibility (0-30ish feet), and the quarry can be as much as 80 feet, which is pretty great by comparison. Lots of people love to wreck dive in the Great Lakes, but a lot of the wrecks tend to be a little on the deep side, and deeper than the 60 ft max depth recommended for an OW diver. We may do our advanced OW cert next summer and then see about checking out some of those wrecks. Even in the low viz inland lakes, it's totally worth the effort to dive. The sense of weightlessness alone is amazing, even when there is nothing to see!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom