Time to find a new port

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dear OP,
I understand your issue. BUT, I was there during the triathlon two weeks ago. HOWEVER, I stayed at the Villa and as such NEVER had an issue doing any dives. My two friends and I had the place to ourselves 5 out of the seven days we were there. So maybe next time communicate with your dive op about any potential issues diving during your stay and plan accordingly. Don't blame Coz.

It does appear as though Coz is going to be more of a player in such events in the future. So it would be wise for divers to plan their trips around these future events. If you happen to land one of these events during your stay, just make that day your day off from diving and do some shopping instead. B.

Of course people are going to blame 'Coz.' (assuming we're talking about that segment of government that scheduled this mess leading to the problem).

As for planning dive trips around these future events, I doubt that's practical for most. Consider...

1.) Many of us don't hit the same place a dozen times & have intimate familiarity with what all goes on there. I was on Bonaire once & saw scads of sail boats. Something called a Regatta. Evidently an annual event. Now, out of all the places in the Caribbean, why Bonaire? I don't know, but they do. Can you imagine phoning to book a reservation & grilling the staff person as to whether they're having an iron man competition, regatta, visiting big shot, etc…that week?

2.) Many people book dive trips several months in advance. I figure many shop staff honestly don't know what's going down locally Wednesday 6 months from now. An excerpt from Christi's post (bold emphasis mine):

We (I can't speak for other shops) did in fact know in advance, in writing that there would be no access in or out of Caleta between 6:30am and 10:30 am yesterday and some different specified hours today. I am not even on the island right now and I received the notice on Thursday - so I am not sure why the notice was not widespread (well, I do- Caleta Administration is not the brightest) or why all other operators didn't get the memo - literally.

Doesn't sound like she got notice far in advance. Even on-island op.s I'm guessing didn't know several months in advance.

Excerpt from Gopbroek:

I spoke with my LDS in Cozumel and they were told yesterday that the port would be open only to find the access to it blocked this morning.

3.) If they did know, how many op.s are going to volunteer that if you book a 5 day dive package with them in 6 months, that one day is probably going to get cancelled? Many of us wouldn't book that week; that'd get us off the phone, and give us more time to consider competitors. Speaking of which, I hear Aldora can get divers out so they get to do all their dives. Well, now, guess our prospective customer will call Aldora…especially after a thread on Scuba Board alerts people about the problem & solution!

People plan dive trips taking into account seasonal weather patterns & water temp.s, and would consider major holidays such as Christmas, yes, but I don't think finding out about things like this in advance is so practical. And does Cozumel want divers doing this? For a lot of us, it'd be like posting a sign 'Attention Diver Tourists - Do Not Come Here That Week; go to Belize, Bonaire, the Bahamas, etc….'

You can always go zip lining, hiking, relaxing, exploring or anything else for that day. Plans change and we have to also.

How many people, not knowing the island well, surprised by this situation, would know what excursion to book, who to book with & get it down 'day of?' I also wonder how many excursion providers got quickly booked up from tourists displaced from other activities? It's also not equivalent; wandering around a foreign town, hiking in tropical heat, zip lining…not for everyone.

Our backup plan if blown out in Coz is to jump to the ferry and dive Playa (either cenote's or bull sharks). So easy to do.

You said it perfectly above, jump off the island...to Playa.

I suspect a lot of Cozumel tourists aren't familiar with the ferry, or Playa, or dive op.s there, or the logistics involved in last minute planning. Don't a lot of dive op.s head out fairly early in the morning?

My point is, some of these Plan B options might fly for someone with substantial advance notice, particularly people with diverse interests broadly familiar with Cozumel & perhaps other regional offerings.

But people in the OP's shoes I imagine mostly kind'a get screwed. The ill will this generates won't do the dive op.s any good, either ('cept maybe one…). If this is a 'one off screwup' I imagine it will blow over and things will get back to normal. If not, Coz.'s reputation will suffer. Don't know how much impact that'll have, but it won't be good. Consider the ill will cruise ship divers will have when their one day of Coz. diving gets cancelled, & they find out it was for poor cause.

Richard.

It does appear as though Coz is going to be more of a player in such events in the future. So it would be wise for divers to plan their trips around these future events. If you happen to land one of these events during your stay, just make that day your day off from diving and do some shopping instead. B.

Good luck with that, it's not exactly like information in Cozumel is predictably reliable, especially when you're talking about pre-planning your vacation many months in advanced. If Cozumel is going to morph from a diving destination to a sport event destination with no resistance and planning for both to co-exist and thrive working together there will be many bumps and bruises along the way as reliability and predictability suffer and posters like the OP become more plentiful.

Good luck with that, it's not exactly like information in Cozumel is predictably reliable, especially when you're talking about pre-planning your vacation many months in advanced. If Cozumel is going to morph from a diving destination to a sport event destination with no resistance and planning for both to co-exist and thrive working together there will be many bumps and bruises along the way as reliability and predictability suffer and posters like the OP become more plentiful.

We have had luck with that. Cozumel has already become a very popular Triathlon destination and despite what some claim here, it is also great for the economy. It has introduced many people - athletes and families/friends of the athletes to the island who would never have even known about our island otherwise. So aside from the 2000 - 5000 extra people they bring to the island per event - they breed future visitors and divers to the island.

Cozumel has been hosting the full Ironman every November for 7 or 8 years, the half Ironman for the last 4 years, the ITU (which was this past weekend) for the last 3 years and the Grand Fondo for 2 years - all successfully co-existing with the diving community with the exception of this past weekend due to some obvious planning issues.

We have had luck with that. Cozumel has already become a very popular Triathlon destination and despite what some claim here, it is also great for the economy. It has introduced many people - athletes and families/friends of the athletes to the island who would never have even known about our island otherwise. So aside from the 2000 - 5000 extra people they bring to the island per event - they breed future visitors and divers to the island.

Nobody said Cozumel growing as a sporting event destination was a bad thing - except if they can't co-exist with the already established dive industry.

Cozumel has been hosting the full Ironman every November for 7 or 8 years, the half Ironman for the last 4 years, the ITU (which was this past weekend) for the last 3 years and the Grand Fondo for 2 years - all successfully co-existing with the diving community with the exception of this past weekend due to some obvious planning issues.

You call the event organizers closing your port a "planning issue"?

Doesn't sound like there was any problems in the planning, the event organizer's plan worked perfectly, they were able to shut down the dive industries ability to use their port so they could use it for their event.

You call the event organizers closing your port a "planning issue"?

Doesn't sound like there was any problems in the planning, the event organizer's plan worked perfectly, they were able to shut down the dive industries ability to use their port so they could use it for their event.

I think it was a planning issue. It was not a good plan to shut down Fonatur and make contestants swim in diesel water.

It was also a crisis management issue when the S%$^ storm started and they decided having the PC Captain close the port would be a good idea to resolve it.

- except if they can't co-exist with the already established dive industry.

And I maintain what I said - "we have had luck with this" - referring to co-existing. This was the 12th or 13th BIG triathlon over the last 7-8 years - all have run smoothly and cohesively with island operations/tourism, etc. - something went wrong with this one after many successful events. Cozumel is not new to these events.

I honestly don't know whose idea it was to have the swim take place in the marina - but yes something went wrong in the planning either by the City, the Triathlon organizers - most likely a combination of both.

I AM pretty confident however that you are giving too much power tot he Triathlon organizers in this case - there is certainly more to it.

And I maintain what I said - "we have had luck with this" - referring to co-existing.

Right, got it. And the point is your luck ran out.

What went 'wrong' with this one was the event organizer apparently has enough clout with the city to shut down the diving industry. You guys obviously have very little political power on the island. I'm just saying - this might be a wake up call and you all might want to start thinking about working with each other to protect your industry instead of relying on luck for the future of your businesses and your employee's paychecks.

Based on the responses from those representing dive shops it looks like there is a self-centered approach right now, some of you looked at this problem as something for each of you to independently deal with and overcome against your other fellow dive shop owners, with the spoils going to the victor. Working with your own dive shops own self interest only works for so long and allows the event organizer to get stronger and stronger as he works at dividing and conquering a fragmented and splintered dive industry to get what he wants out of the local government at your industry's expense.

Right, got it. And the point is your luck ran out. The event organizer apparently has enough clout with the city to shut down the diving industry. You guys obviously don't have any political power on the island. I'd consider this a wake up call and you all might want to start thinking about working together with each other to protect your industry instead of relying on luck for the future of your businesses and your employee's paychecks.

Have the dive ops raised heck with whoever did this so it does not happen again?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom