Time to find a new port

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You seem to forget that not every dive shop has the infrastructure (number of places to moor boats, staff, etc) that you do to make that happen. What do you think other shops should have done exactly on Sat to "take better care of their divers" without having the number of boats you do in multiple harbors? I'm in no way implying that Aldora doesn't do a lot of great things for their divers, or that you didn't work very hard to build the business you have, but surely you can recognize that not every dive business wants/needs to be as big as you've grown your business, or is at the stage in their "business lifespan" to be there yet. I'm not sure if it was intentional, but it sounds like you're implying that other businesses are being lazy and don't care about their customers because they weren't able to get them out diving when the marinas and the port were closed.

Exactly why people should be looking to hang the local authorities and not the thread starter. This should be a pretty good wake up call to the dive shop owners where you are on the pecking order if the organizer of the race has the ability to get the local government to shut your businesses down for the benefit of his. I wouldn't be over-looking the significance of this event and the foreshadowing it provides. With the race organization having this much influence I'd be getting pretty nervous if I was a dive operator and be lighting some torches and rounding up some pitchforks. The taxi drives in Mexico city burned the uber driver's cars, you guys at least might want to at least gather over a beer and start bitching.

Dear kmurray719,

I am only implying that WE work very hard to do certain things and that there is no reasons others can't anticipate problems.

Dave

I understand it's frustrating - and if you want to abandon Cozumel for this, that is certainly your prerogative. However, your frustration may be misplaced.

We (I can't speak for other shops) did in fact know in advance, in writing that there would be no access in or out of Caleta between 6:30am and 10:30 am yesterday and some different specified hours today. I am not even on the island right now and I received the notice on Thursday - so I am not sure why the notice was not widespread (well, I do- Caleta Administration is not the brightest) or why all other operators didn't get the memo - literally. Since we did know of the lack of access, we made contingency plans and our divers did 3 dives yesterday and 4 today. Yesterday (Saturday) we had the boat out of Caleta before 6am - but due to wind from the west, the port did open later than scheduled. Today, again we had the boat out of the marina before 6:30 am and our divers dove on schedule.

All that aside - I find it totally crazy that the Triathlon (ITU world Cup Triathlon) coordinators and the Govt choose to schedule the swim in the marina - aside from the fact that it did affect water sports for those who were not aware and/or did not plan accordingly - it's nasty and toxic water to swim in - we have a beautiful ocen out there - why the friggin marina??? ! Ironman and other triathlons always have the swim at Chankanaab or starting at the Presidente and the area is roped off and numerous safety boats are stationed. Just my 2 pesos!

If you are going to consider changing where you dive every time weather, triathlons or anything else impedes your diving - you are going to run out of dive spots in a few years. Sometimes these (relatively) small locations have visiting dignitaries that close down roads, triathlons that close down entire sections of town, weather that grounds boats...what we call life. You can always go zip lining, hiking, relaxing, exploring or anything else for that day. Plans change and we have to also.

I find it totally crazy that the Triathlon (ITU world Cup Triathlon) coordinators and the Govt choose to schedule the swim in the marina - aside from the fact that it did affect water sports for those who were not aware and/or did not plan accordingly - it's nasty and toxic water to swim in -
Maybe training for the upcoming Olympic Games?? 'talk about a "mess"...

Next year Cozumel will the WTS Grand Finale for the entire week of 11 - 18 September, to add to the festivities of Independence week. As I understand it is supposed to be a huge event. October 2nd will be the half Ironman (70.3)

Reading over this thread, something I keep coming back to…there is a great difference between bad weather blowing out diving for a day, vs. local government doing so. With the former, there is no disrespect, no obligation unmet, no one to blame. I've been to Cozumel twice on cruise ship stops, aimed to dive both days, & the 1st lost out toad weather due to Caleta Harbor getting closed while we were in the boat at the dock!

Disappointing, but just one of those things.

Now, when human beings engage in willful or negligent acts that deprive me of something I've paid, scheduled & traveled for without just cause, that's far & away another story.

I'm not endorsing an embargo of Cozumel diving, but I hope a loud enough rumbling of bitter ill will makes its way up the totem pole to send a message to some of the powers-that-be that this crap was a bad idea, & this ought not to happen again.

While there's no guarantee it'll succeed, stranger things have happened. Dive tourism is important to Cozumel. Money talks, and I imagine there's potentially some involved.

I suspect that's what the original post is mainly about.

Richard.

Have the dive ops organized and made their displeasure known to the appropriate people in Cozumel?

... It is time to leave Cozumel....
We're divers,,,,we always have a backup plan (octo, pony, etc) Our backup plan if blown out in Coz is to jump to the ferry and dive Playa (either cenote's or bull sharks). So easy to do.

You said it perfectly above, jump off the island...to Playa. All good divers {and the better boats} have a backup plan. :)

Reading over this thread, something I keep coming back to…there is a great difference between bad weather blowing out diving for a day, vs. local government doing so. With the former, there is no disrespect, no obligation unmet, no one to blame. I've been to Cozumel twice on cruise ship stops, aimed to dive both days, & the 1st lost out toad weather due to Caleta Harbor getting closed while we were in the boat at the dock!

Disappointing, but just one of those things.

Now, when human beings engage in willful or negligent acts that deprive me of something I've paid, scheduled & traveled for without just cause, that's far & away another story.

I'm not endorsing an embargo of Cozumel diving, but I hope a loud enough rumbling of bitter ill will makes its way up the totem pole to send a message to some of the powers-that-be that this crap was a bad idea, & this ought not to happen again.

While there's no guarantee it'll succeed, stranger things have happened. Dive tourism is important to Cozumel. Money talks, and I imagine there's potentially some involved.

I suspect that's what the original post is mainly about.

Richard.

Exactly, don't shoot the messenger. I would have thought the dive industry on Cozumel would be a pretty politically powerful group based on how long they've been contributing to the economy of the island.

This time it was closed for one day, next time it might be a week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom