Interesting article i think we can all learn from

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

glassbottom

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Not sure if this has been posted here already but it seems to be a good incident that anyone can learn from.Alert Diver | The Perils of Staying Silent

Lost in the Caribbean Sea

and some supposed first hand accounts:

https://www.reddit.com/r/scuba/comments/3qcqba/anyone_know_the_backstory_of_the_divers_left_at/

My take-aways:

I carry a signaling mirror in my hunting bag, which I sometimes put in my BCD before I leave for a dive. There will now be a signaling mirror with me going forward on ocean dives. (May even consider hand flares in a plastic bag).

I keep my left BCD pouch reserved for "oh sh!t" situations and emergency gear (whistle, backup compass, small backup reel/cordage, small backup slate etc). A signal mirror will be going into that.

Also other takeaways are to stay diligent with the boat operation and ensure they had the proper training and safety equipment to handle a group of divers while not being physically moored to something.

West End Divers! That's my favorite dive team too! Good to read but not surprised they were good guys in this mess. Glad everyone came out alive.

To go diving in these situations is irresponsible. Don't blame the captain, blame yourself divers. To go away from land on a diving boat with a single engin and no VHF radio is asking for trouble. Well, they got it :(

To go diving in these situations is irresponsible. Don't blame the captain, blame yourself divers. To go away from land on a diving boat with a single engin and no VHF radio is asking for trouble. Well, they got it :(

I totally agree but how many of us actually ask how far from land we'll be and what safety equipment is on board? I know I don't.

However, had I been told that we'd be 20 miles from land on that kind of boat I sure would have second thoughts before embarking.

- Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom