What do i need?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
hey guys....im looking into getting into open water diving. I LOVE saltwater fish and coral and I a saltwater hobbyist...I want to get into diving but have no idea where to start or what I need. also how much do the classes usually go for. anything will be helpful. thanks in advance.

Typically around $400 for Open Water Certification class. Upon completion of which you are certified to dive with a buddy on your own or can continue training as desired.

You'll also need mask/fins/boots/snorkel/gloves which you can purchase thru the shop and get fitted correctly or somewhere else - as long as it's dive gear - tempered glass mask for safety, dive fins and not snorkel fins etc. You really should get a properly fitted mask so it doesn't leak during class/certification. I buy a lot online but often suggest a visit to a local shop for new divers. Ask questions and if you're unsure - ask about what you're being told/sold here - someone will have used it. Chances are good someone in your area will see this post also and recommend a good local shop.

If you certify in your area you'll definitely also need exposure protection for diving in the Pacific so that's a full wetsuit which you can rent. From the Fresno area I believe you have some access to the Northern Channel Islands thru Santa Barbara or Ventura also. There's several good dive boats that work in those areas - your local shop probably books trips thru them. You may even do your check-out dives from one. Or somewhere in the Monterey area.

An option is also to do the class portion locally then travel to somewhere warm for the checkout/certification dives. Given your interest in tropicals, that might be a better option since you're not going to find many in SoCal. That's called an Open Water Referral - your local instructor will give you a sheet to be signed off by the other instructor on completion of your 4-5 open water certification dives.

A third option is to do e-learning online then travel somewhere for the rest of the class/certification dives. It's not any cheaper - in fact might be more - it just depends on your time. https://www.padi.com/scuba-diving/padi-courses/course-catalog/scuba-online/

Apparently there's only two dive shops in Fresno. So maybe stop in and talk to someone at both. Ask to meet your potential instructor also to see if he/she is a good fit. A lot of what to ask can be found here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...ng/287780-how-find-excellent-scuba-class.html

https://www.aquasports.com/
Certified SCUBA Dive Training, Diving Equipment, Snorkeling Equipment, Diving Trips | Bob's Dive Shop

I noticed Bob's sells Aqualung and Atomic Aquatics. IMO you can't go wrong with either - I'm a big Atomic regulators fan. Aquasports seems to be primarily an Oceanic dealer which is good gear also at more affordable prices.

And when you contact a local dive shop, you might want to see if they offer a "try scuba" or "discover scuba" experience. Usually a very inexpensive pool session on scuba, with an instructor, to see how you like it.

I agree with the discover scuba recommendation above.

In terms of what you need and how much it will cost, search this site or google it with scubaboard as one of the search terms.

The most important thing is to get not only the cost of the course, but all of the extra hidden costs and get a "total-all-in" number when comparing shops and prices.

Most shops make you buy your own mask, fins, snorkel, and booties. This is pretty standard as they are personal fit items. The trick that you have to watch out for is shops that pile on additional equipment requirements that you have to purchase like lead weight, wetsuit, writing slate, and/or knife---some shops might make you buy on of these items some might require all of them. It is a scheme to forcibly generate retail sales and move merchandise and a practice I really don't approve of.

Instruction prices will range from $300-$500 and depend on what is "included".

There are three parts to scuba certification--classroom, pool sessions, open water checkout dives. Some places will include everything in their price (usually in the $500-$600 range) others will break it down with classroom/pool one price, open water dives another--make sure you verify exactly what is included with said price.

Fro the standard recreation scuba class that is not run by an ultra-premium name instructor or agency (GUE, UTD, etc) I would expect the following cost breakdown.

Scuba certification: $500
This will include all pool, classroom, Open Water checkout dives, and any fees to get a physical certification card. All equipment besides mask, fins, snorkel, and booties will be included

Required Equipment: ~$250.
Mask, Fins, snorkel, boots.
The total price for the required equipment can vary wildly based on LDS, brand, and whether the shop gives any student discount.

Mask: Get one that fits, period. A $40 mask is very similar to $100 mask, just make sure it has a good seal on YOUR face.

Fins: A lot of LDS will sell new divers crappy fins for $50-$100 bucks because it is the brand they sell. The fins are some of the most important equipment you can buy and an item I would go elsewhere for if the LDS doesn't have what I need. Mares Avanti Quatros, DiveRite EXTs, OMS Slipstreams, Hollis F1s, Scubapro Jet Fins. The first three are lighter and more suited to a wetsuit diver, the F1s and Jetfins are a little heavier. I am not going to say that those 5 fins are the only fins you should ever buy, but they are certainly the most popular and well regarded fins among experienced divers. You can get all of them for between $90-$120 brand new. If a shop won't sell them to you for that price, leave and go online or to another shop that will.

Boots: Doesn't really matter the brand. I like them with a larger zipper, but it is a personal preference.

Additonal Costs:
1. Possible entry fees to OW dive site
2. Air fills
3. Travel to and from dive sites. possible hotel accommodations, etc

Given slight variations in price and equipment needed I would bracket between $800-$1000 dollars to get certified. This is money that will cover all the extraneous expenses in addition to total certification.

And then there are all of the other classes you need to take to actually become a good diver.......but that is another post :D

I'm also a total noob, but my LDS gave me a sheet with all the costs broken down. $499 plus personal gear. If i buy my personal gear from them, I get free rental gear for my open water weekend, otherwise it's an extra $100. Entry fees for OW weekend are $20/day and air fills are $8. Wetsuit rental is $35. Obviously your mileage may vary, but that'll give you an idea.

I highly recommend going to your local dive shop and seeing how you like it. I did that last week and left with a huge smile on my face (and my wallet intact). I can't wait to get started!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Wow other than the somewhat crappy diving around here I'm glad I live in Arkansas. My class was $200 for classroom, pool sessions, and open water. I spent the additional ~$75 for elearning and bought my personal equipment for ~$200.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Our shop requires mask/fins/snorkel. All other equipment for the pool/ocean checkout dives is included in the course fee. My experience with this with other shops is limited, but I would question others if they charge for stuff like wetsuit, air, etc. Our mask/fin/snorkel deal comes with a log book. You don't really need one, but you need something (notebook, etc.) for the instructor to sign after your 4 checkout dives. And they're neat to have.

Our shop requires mask/fins/snorkel. All other equipment for the pool/ocean checkout dives is included in the course fee. My experience with this with other shops is limited, but I would question others if they charge for stuff like wetsuit, air, etc. Our mask/fin/snorkel deal comes with a log book. You don't really need one, but you need something (notebook, etc.) for the instructor to sign after your 4 checkout dives. And they're neat to have.

Oh, I agree. They make them buy a writing slate and a whole bunch of other recreational junk--they aren't even good about it with making them buy a wrist slate that actually has some value----they sell them the huge square piece of **** that will dangle and snag on everything.

The wetsuit isn't "mandatory", but they basically force it on their students buy not providing one during the pool sessions. 2.5 hours in a pool and the students get a chill and go buy the 3mm suit when they will be diving in the NE.

$169 of my LDS OW fee is just PADI's cost for elearning. They don't have actual classroom sessions. Another $40ish is a student pack from PADI, which I was told is marked down about $20 vs buying it directly from PADI. It has the logbook, slate, and some other stuff in it (not sure what) in a plastic folder bag thingy. The rest is tuition. Since PADI charges $169 for elearning, I don't think a total of $499 is bad when you consider they have to pay for pool time, gear, and instructors. Class size max is 4 people too, which is important to me. There is a more popular, well known shop that only charges $199, but if that includes elearning, I don't see how they make any money at that price. Big class sizes, I guess.

Shorties are provided by my LDS for pool sessions, first come first serve for no extra charge. They just have to be rented (or bought) for the OW weekend. Learning to dive I think is one thing where I'm not just looking for the cheapest price. I really want to learn, and if that means paying a bit more for a better student: teacher ratio, I'll just have to shake my wallet upside down a few more times haha.

$169 of my LDS OW fee is just PADI's cost for elearning. They don't have actual classroom sessions. Another $40ish is a student pack from PADI, which I was told is marked down about $20 vs buying it directly from PADI. It has the logbook, slate, and some other stuff in it (not sure what) in a plastic folder bag thingy. The rest is tuition. Since PADI charges $169 for elearning, I don't think a total of $499 is bad when you consider they have to pay for pool time, gear, and instructors. Class size max is 4 people too, which is important to me. There is a more popular, well known shop that only charges $199, but if that includes elearning, I don't see how they make any money at that price. Big class sizes, I guess.

Shorties are provided by my LDS for pool sessions, first come first serve for no extra charge. They just have to be rented (or bought) for the OW weekend. Learning to dive I think is one thing where I'm not just looking for the cheapest price. I really want to learn, and if that means paying a bit more for a better student: teacher ratio, I'll just have to shake my wallet upside down a few more times haha.

I think that is very important - a lot of shops might churn large numbers through but are they turning out good divers? Chances are they aren't as the instructor is trying to herd sheep. Better to pay a bit extra to get more individual face to face time from your instructor IMHO as they can then look at other things than the very basics like buoyancy and trim

Back
Top Bottom